Lightning

Help - what do you do to protect hood from rocks, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001 | 10:03 PM
|
Question Help - what do you do to protect hood from rocks, etc.

I was driving down the road the other day a long way behind the other cars (to protect from rocks) when all of the sudden the truck in front of me kicks up a rock. It happened in slow motion, I was far enough back that I thought it would go under the truck when it took a high bounce and smacked the truck hard. It chipped all the way to the paint and left a dent in the 2 inch portion that curves down toward the bumper.

My question is how do you guys protect that portion of the paint? I only have 1800 miles on my truck. I did not have dents like that on my other cars until 40K to 50K miles.

Also, if replacement is the key, what hood do you recommend and after the new hood is painted does it really look as good as stock?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-10-2001 | 10:12 PM
The only way is to not drive it ! My windshield has pitts in it already at 1500 miles and my son ran over a tire tread with it > Now that pissed me off!! But there was nothing he could do but hit it . It scratched the bottom of the bumper . Sorry about your dent . OH I almost forgot we were going to put the truck on the lift to install the ram air kit and he scratched the wheel . Dang the luck .

Old 06-11-2001 | 12:08 AM
It seems the harder I try to protect my vehicle while driving the more damage I get. If I was driving an old clunker nothing would ever hit it, but ever since I got my L it is like a debris magnet.
SV

------------------
99 red L
#957 of 4000
5/5/99

Old 06-11-2001 | 12:29 AM
Lightbulb

Try getting a bug deflector. Works on more than just bugs. I have a "Lund Triton" no hood or wind shield dents yet. Or you could get one of those ugly bras.

------------------
2000 F-150
Reg. cab
Short bed
White
4.2L
4x2

Mods:
16x8 american racing wheels
Bug guard
Pioneer cd deck
4 pioneer 6x8
Vent shade window visors

What I want:
Dual exaust
K&N air filter
tonneau cover
SVT bumper cover
Performance chip
Chrome fender trim

Old 06-11-2001 | 01:52 AM
Do a search: there are clear bra's made. I've seen it on a Mercedes S500. It basicall looks like a piece of really clear tape over where a bra would be. All you can see is the edges. Smooth stuff.

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning
#2798 of 4966
Born on date: May 9, 2000
Email: ColinMBurns@hotmail.com

Mods: SnugLid, 20% tint, Airaid, Slush Mats, Pioneer Speakers, Zaino

My Zing Album:
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4292665015

Old 06-11-2001 | 08:18 AM
Cpasilver01L Try this site. They have a complete line of protection products for L's.
www.xpel.com

Old 06-11-2001 | 08:45 AM
Cool

SVT makes a bra for yor truck.

Old 06-11-2001 | 09:26 AM
Talking

I have a friend with a new F-150. He's leaving work, just cruising along. Not a car or truck anywhere around when BAM ! A damn golf ball from a local golf course pegs his hood dead center! He see's it go bouncing across the hi-way. Golf course will pay the $800.00 tab to fix his hood. Man was he pissed.....

Old 06-11-2001 | 09:32 AM
Mine works good with rocks, but golf ***** of the hood?...Don't think it would help. Got it from the Ford Accessories Store website (which has been down for some time now).

Old 06-11-2001 | 09:34 AM
Sorry, diuble post

[This message has been edited by Marv1 (edited 06-11-2001).]

Old 06-11-2001 | 01:33 PM
Dude there's nothing you can do about it.

the expel clear bras fade after time and look yellow.

the black bra's will fade you paint uneavenly!

so the best thing to do is to just drive you truck and at the end of each year, go take that money that you where going to spend on a bra and have the front end repainted. In my family we send our cars every year to the body shop to get touched up from rocks and chips. gets me mad, but what are you going to do, not drive your truck. thats just tha way it is with these things. my 97 grand prix was perfect when I traded it in. that car just didn't attract rocks I guess. My brohters Audi TT is like a magnet. He's had it redone once already and that cars only 5 moths old. he drives it allot on the highway.

Just don't worry about it and if its that bad then get some touch up paint for a temporary solution. thats what I do. I painted my drivers side ground effects last night. they where all nick up and nasty, looks much better now.

------------------
POWER SURGE PERFORMANCE RULES!!!

Old 06-11-2001 | 03:32 PM
Well, we all get angry and upset about the flying debris hitting our trucks, but I saw something on TV the other day that really puts things in perspective.

A pizza delivery guy has length of what appears to be 1/2 inch or bigger, steel rebar fly through his windsheild and straight into his skull in the forehead area and exit out of the top of his head. Rebar appeared to be about two feet long.

He survived, but needless to say, he has some health problems like headaches and loss of short term memory. Grisly looking pictures of the rebar sticking out of his head. At the hospital, to remove the rebar, the basically unscrewed it because it is threaded. By the way, after he was hit by the rebar, he ran off the road an wrecked his vehicle.

So, maybe we should all relax and don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 06-11-2001 | 03:39 PM
Got any pics, that sounds cool. sick but cool. I wonder if those people got there pizza free? J/K.

sorry pizza guy, I'm just into the ER type tv shows.

did you ever see the guy that had the knife stabbed into his head. it was something like 8 or 9 inches into the middle of his skull from the top down. he survived and I think he was kinda ok.

Old 06-11-2001 | 04:18 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Red Racer:
Golf course will pay the $800.00 tab to fix his hood. Man was he pissed.....</font>
He is VERY lucky. The golf course is not at fault and usually will not pay. The person who HIT the ball IS at fault - good luck finding him/her AND getting them to accept responsibility.
Tell him to thank the GM/owner/Head Pro and to write a thank you in the local paper. What they are doing is EXTREMELY generous.

Old 06-11-2001 | 04:28 PM
RTKILLA, sorry no pictures. I saw this last Friday on the Sally Jesse Raphael TV talk show. Maybe there is something on the Internet to satify you curiosity.

You laugh at the pizza, but the delivery guy offered it (it was still hot) to the paramedics that arrived. I imagine they did not have a big appetite at the moment.

Quick Reply: Help - what do you do to protect hood from rocks, etc.