Lightning

Piston slap revisited

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001 | 07:30 PM
|
Cool Piston slap revisited

I posted my "engine rattle on startup" post on NLOC as well as this site to gain as much knowledge about it as possible. I found one of the NLOC's member's reply very informative and reassuring. I guess it's reassuring because I'm not crazy afterall, especially after reading about Sal's problems with at least 3 engines. Here is what Catchthis had to say about his dealership experience regarding piston slap.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Catchthis:
gforce-

I hear ya brother. I am experiencing the same exact thing. I mean--the description you give is right-on with what I am encountering. Deep to the rear of the engine beleive it is #8(sure it is not the tensioner) would be torward the front. I tried putting in 10W30 oil( thought the higher viscosity would help---nope(didn't make it worse either) I don't know-it just bothers me so much because it sounds "cheap" !! I do have an appointment with the dealer to check it out (this scares me more than the rattle itself) I don't like anybody touching my truck. I will let you know how it goes.
</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Catchthis:
gforce (all)
I took my truck to the dealer. I started describing the noise and the manager just chimmed in and said "piston slap." "yeah, we have already replaced a few engines for that. Pretty simple huh. Anyway, I have to bring it back in tomorrow for the oil pressure test for verification purposes (Ford requires it) so, there it is--i will be getting the "new version" or the 01 version of the block, heads, pistons etc. Anyway, I was talking to the tech and he said that interesting enough that they are specifically instructed not to dismantle the engine--just take it out, send it back to them and replace it with the new version. The tech guy proceeded to say that all these pistons are different sizes (just like a snowflake) no two are alike and to try and just order new pistons would be next to impossible due to the varations. He said " I could take a mic reading order the piston and get it in and it wouldn't fit, each one is custom fit to the specific block." So, I am scared to death about leaving the truck but he said if you don't take care of it now, eventually you may lose some compression, start to smoke and just become so fed up with the noise--you'll go insane. I hope to have the work done over the course of the next two weeks ( says it will take about 3-4 days when they receive the engine) I am also going to have him check out the intercooler (even though it doesn't leak now) I know--when the take it apart--it will leak from that point on--maybe I won't have em' look at it. Hope this helps. I will let you all know how it turns out. Oh yeah....I told them that I have a chip and some other mods--they said ' that those mods are for the most part supported by Ford (SVT) and will and have not been proven to cause any harm to the engine." Now, I'm talking simple bolt-on's not Nitrous. Let me know any feedback and any other info you guys come across...
</font>
There you go.....a dealer that knows what's going on and a refreshing change for once.

Thanks again, Catchthis!

Jim

Quick Reply: Piston slap revisited