Lightning

Closed Loop !

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008 | 03:34 PM
|
Closed Loop !

My intake air temperature says 88 degrees ( as does my interior guage) runing down the road right now and my coolant temp sensor says 170 degrees on my hand held diablo tuner.

For some reason the damn thing will not go into closed loop ! !

The only thing that is kinda strange that I can find on the screen is that it says I have a second intake air temp sender somewhere that is reading 180 degrees ! ! ! I unplugged every sensor I can find and this thing still reads 180 degrees ? I turn off the truck and watch it drop a number every second until like 120 degrees and then it slows down.

Where the hell is that sender ?

Old 07-12-2008 | 04:40 PM
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 10 mins ?

Old 07-12-2008 | 05:30 PM
|
Thats a first for me . . I havent heard of that. But very willing to try it !

Old 07-12-2008 | 08:57 PM
|
Well, unplugging didnt do anything. . .I finally found the sensor and it looks like it is working correctly ! SO . . why is this thing heating up so much after the blower ? ? Even just cruising ?

Old 07-13-2008 | 05:23 AM
Originally Posted by rossharley
Well, unplugging didnt do anything. . .I finally found the sensor and it looks like it is working correctly ! SO . . why is this thing heating up so much after the blower ? ? Even just cruising ?
1: Intercooler Fluid level maybe be leaking out or very low

2: Intercooler Pump working - is it flowing?

3: Check for DTC codes see if that shows up anything.

Old 07-13-2008 | 07:16 AM
|
Ford !

Hey man, thanks for the responce. My levels are all good ( first thing I checked ). But I think I have found out what is going on. . . . and all Lightning / Harley trucks should be aware of this.

Genius ford as it is, has a recirculation on their exhaust as we all well know. . . .well if your cats start to get stopped up, that puts alot of pressure on that re-circulation tube. As the pressure builds. . .intercooler or no intercooler that temperature can reach 200 degrees in the intake as mine is doing right now ! AND WHAT I THOUGHT HAD TO BE A FOWLED OUT SPARK PLUG AFTER CHANGING 3 TANKS OF GAS AND STILL HAVING A SLIGHT HESITATION UNDER BOOST CAUSING A STUDDER IN MY ENGINE WAS DETONATION THIS WHOLE TIME ! ! !

Im not sure how my motor is still running ! ! Guess if it wasnt aftermarket everything in the short block, it wouldnt be ! I really thought it couldnt be detonation because I havent changed anything. . . but another one of fords great ideas !

Old 07-13-2008 | 10:13 AM
|
Angry

You know. . .its ***** like this . . . and. . . the blown out spark plug that GRENADED my original lightning motor at 50,000 miles that makes me wonder why ANYONE still buys these products ?!? !

Who the hell do they have designing these things ?

Old 07-13-2008 | 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by rossharley
. . . Genius ford as it is, has a recirculation on their exhaust as we all well know. . . .. . .
So what's the alternative design that Ford should have used?

Old 07-13-2008 | 02:46 PM
non-recirculation?

Old 07-13-2008 | 04:14 PM
|
They sure as hell could have done more work on their HEADS ! ! Maybe if they spent more time on them they could make them be more efficient. Plus the newer superchagers dont drag the motor near as much, but instead of focusing on these designs back then, then tried to find a CHEAP quick fix. Hell they could even get off their asses and added a small hydrogen cell that makes the gas burn more efficient if they werent so involved in making money from OIL COMPANIES . . . instead they just threw a tube from the exhaust back into the intake manifold ! ! NICE ONE ! . . there ya go . . we meet emission standards now !

But people need to know this can happen as their motors get higher on mileage. . . . or the detonation will most likely destroy some stock short blocks !

Old 07-13-2008 | 04:27 PM
It's mandated by the EPA that any manufacturer has Cats and EGR.
Sure, you can blame Ford for the crappy 4 thread heads but not the emissions equipment.

Old 07-13-2008 | 06:20 PM
As far as Ford being cheap be glad they did!!I have talked to some of the execs at ford and if the truck cost something like 10 more bucks there would not of been a Gen 2.Why do you think there was a break between the Gen 1 and 2? COST!!Colletti could not get it down low enough the first couple of years so no lightning.Stan

PS as for the arguement that I would pay more for a better truck.Yes,YOU would be how many others would?

Old 07-13-2008 | 06:37 PM
Wow dude, I don't know where you're getting your info from, but pretty much everything you've written thus far could not be more incorrect.

Old 07-13-2008 | 06:49 PM
almost all cars have egr bud.

Old 07-14-2008 | 01:47 PM
|
Ok . . .well I get the fact that they were MADE to have an EGR from the government or whomever, but they could have restricted it somehow . . aparantly mine is just free flowing straight into the intake. . .

If you still have a recirculation tube on yours . . be ready when the cats stop up ! ! or You just might have an excuse to go out and hunt a new long block !

My truck is fixin to be minus an egr tube and cats ! Screw all this BS !

Quick Reply: Closed Loop !