Lightning

Fluid coming from differential, what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001 | 05:04 PM
|
Post Fluid coming from differential, what could it be?

I had my L on a lift today when getting the oil changed and the mechanic pointed out that fluid was coming from the front of the differential where U joint is. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

------------------
Roger Lee
Silver 2001
Bed Rug
Black Max tonneau
Magnaflow 12468 muffler
--Distributed by Lightninforce--
Belltech Drop Shackles
JDM Billet Filter Kit
JDM Chip
ASP Upper Pulley kit

Old 06-29-2001 | 05:10 PM
Front Differential Seal leak more than likely. Certainly if the fluid is coming from differential it is the seal

Old 06-29-2001 | 05:48 PM
What he said.

Old 06-29-2001 | 05:55 PM
|
great, 3120 miles on the odometer. Glad I didn't put the chip and pulley on yet or else I would be getting hell for it.

Old 06-29-2001 | 05:59 PM
Hey i had the same problem back in decmber at like 13000miles. They replaced the seal and it was all good until last month when i had to get the rear end rebuilt with 23000 miles on it. Dont know if the leak had to do with the rear end getting rebuilt

Old 06-29-2001 | 06:42 PM
Thumbs up

I would have to say it's differential fluid.

Old 06-29-2001 | 06:47 PM
|
It's not a real bad leak at all, it was just a little damp

Old 06-29-2001 | 07:07 PM
Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Black2000L:
Hey i had the same problem back in decmber at like 13000miles. They replaced the seal and it was all good until last month when i had to get the rear end rebuilt with 23000 miles on it. Dont know if the leak had to do with the rear end getting rebuilt</font>
Evilguy,

I've done a few rear ends and yes it sounds like a bad seal, no doubt. If it's just barely damp, I'd probably leave it alone. The only way to fix it is to remove the ring gear assembly, remove the pinion nut and gear and crush sleeve if it indeed has one like many other differentials. The critical factor is the amount of preload on the pinion bearings when they tighten down the pinion nut. I caught a tech using an impact wrench on some poor soul's rear as I was passing thru one day. This will undoubtedly cause the gearset to "run" differently than before and will lead to a slight howling noise that ultimately leads to.....See Black2000L's post. That should convince you. If it's barely damp, I'd leave it alone for a while. Wipe it off and check on it frequently - it may settle in and quit leaking on its own. My .02.

Old 09-29-2001 | 06:29 PM
Angry

Well Mine is Leaking Again.

The dealer has replaced the pinion seal twice, then they replaced the flange and pinion seal. So thats 3 times allready.

I noticed a weird feeling when making a sharp turn from a stop while getting on it. I looked under the truck and sure enough it is leaking again. I just put 12-14 ounces of differentional fluid in it today.

I am going to bitch at the dealer monday, and tell them I want a whole new rear end, Everything - housing, gears, brakes. I figure they had three strikes now their OUT. So I want everything new under the rear.

Sorry about the bitchin, but I am pissed.

Oh well I will give them Chevys a woopin tomorow at the truckin nationals up at New England Dragway. That should make me feel a whole lot better.

Quick Reply: Fluid coming from differential, what could it be?