Lightning

off topic, but extremely interesting!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001 | 01:08 AM
|
funny, how something so simple can really put our lives & how good we have it (most of us here) into perspective!

Old 06-29-2001 | 02:17 AM
Cool

Damn Yoda,
I think you must have gotten in touch with your feminine side! Wow, makes me think. And here my big depressing problem is deciding on whether to get an 18 or a 21 foot bass boat. Damn, guess it doesn't matter, it's all good.

Old 06-29-2001 | 10:04 AM
There was a famous study by the Kinsey Institute years ago that concluded that 10% of the population is homosexual.

A more recent study took a closer look at the numbers and concluded the original study was flawed; the actual percentage is now believed to be closer to 1%.

You know the old saying. There are three kinds of lies: Lies; Damned lies; and statistics.

Old 06-29-2001 | 10:07 AM
I almost forgot:

"6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth, and all 6 would be from the United States."

A more accurate statement might be:

6 people would have been responsible for the creation of 59% of the entire world's wealth, and all 6 would be from the United States.

And 98% of that would belong to the US government, sooner or later.

Old 06-29-2001 | 05:46 PM
Really Old "Member"
A sobering thought and a true story.

A Lightning costs approx. $30,000.
In recent stories about the regicide in Nepal, it was mentioned several times that the average Nepali has a yearly income of $200. Assuming he/she had nothing else to do with their money, it would take them 150 years to save enough to buy a Lightning
Further assume that some, maybe many of us have a house worth $300,000. Again assuming they had nothing better to do with their money like food/clothing/medicine etc. it would take that same person 1,500 years to pay cash for your house. As a point of order, you don't buy a house on time in Nepal and a peasant would not put their money in the bank to earn interest.

True story: Pat and I lived in Peru in 1976-1979. Had great house and two live in servants. They worked 16 hours a day six days a week. Maria got $35 a month and Ramirez got $50 a month plus room and board and clothing. Lima is more expensive to live in than Nepal so they were at about the same relative standard of living. We did not really work them that hard and the above pay was above scale. Most Peruvians and a lot of expats cheated their servants out of the actual cash salary.

When we left Peru, in addition to clothing/dishware and that sort of stuff that we gave to the two of them, we gave Ramirez a bicycle and all of our gardening equipment which was extremely primitive. We gave Maria a bike and her bed.
Ramirez was totally overcome. He told us we had made him a businessman and he would never again be a servant. He had transport and tools of his trade and would become a gardener. I did not think to ask Maria what she was going to do with a bike and her bed and I don't think I wanted to know.

I'm really not preaching folk, but with all of our real and imagined problems, we are most likely the most blessed nation on this planet, bar none.
Bill

------------------
99.5 Lightning
Build #247
PSP Chip/Filter
Bassani full system
White/normal options
2001 Focus Wagon
1992 Town Car
1998 Continental
1956 Ford F100 (2)
1969 Chevrolet (2)
E-mail: MOSTOYSINC@AOL.COM
Kennesaw, Ga (Atlanta)

Old 06-29-2001 | 06:37 PM
Dude, you got WAAAAAYYYYYY too much time on your hands.

Old 06-29-2001 | 07:57 PM
Really Old "Member"
Which Dude?

Old 07-01-2001 | 06:47 AM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yoda:

89 would be heterosexual
11 would be homosexual</font>
How many of those 89 hetero's would be bi though? LOL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">70 would be unable to read</font>
HuH? It seems the math is off to me.

BfB

Old 07-01-2001 | 06:49 AM
BfB
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ACoder:
There was a famous study by the Kinsey Institute years ago that concluded that 10% of the population is homosexual.

A more recent study took a closer look at the numbers and concluded the original study was flawed; the actual percentage is now believed to be closer to 1%.

You know the old saying. There are three kinds of lies: Lies; Damned lies; and statistics.
</font>
It's obviously way more than 1%. I'd agree w/ the 10% or more theory.

Old 07-01-2001 | 06:54 AM
BfB
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tundra:
I truly do not understand how the gene for being homosexual exists, being that if they were TRULY homosexual, then they couldn't reproduce.</font>
Being that you do not understand why people are gay shouldn't make you think that being gay would keep you from reproducing if the gene were real. Gays have children too.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What these people are looking for is attention, AND a handout in the form of a discrimination lawsuit. Thats my opinion. Please, no one take offense.</font>
Nothing wrong w/ your opinion, but one would think that you feel the same about other minorities too, then, right?

Let's not live in a world of old school mentality, people, let's grow together and learn to live together in acceptance and freedom. To each his own, but learn to love and live together.

BfB

Quick Reply: off topic, but extremely interesting!!