Lightning

Summit Div.7 finals

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008 | 02:05 PM
|
Summit Div.7 finals

It’s hard to contain my excitement. Everyone knows me. I love to compete in all the local sanction NHRA events. However this post will be about my daughter Brooke.
This was her second season competing in the Sportsman class in the NHRA Summit Series at Irwindale Raceway. This past weekend, at Fallon Raceway in Fallon Nev., the NHRA held their 2008 Division 7 Summit Series race of Champions. Although Brooke and I were qualified for this race, I declined to go, because of all the hard work I’d done in preparation for FFW that we all went to the previous weekend and Fallon is 12 hours away!
Brooke did go as the sole crew chief of her boyfriend Kenny Snow, who was the 2008 Irwindale Super Pro track Champion! Some of you my have met Kenny at FFW. He won one of the Pro classes there on Sunday!
As it happened, at Fallon, during Fridays T&T, one of Irwindale’s driver, broke both his diff. and tranny, knocking him out of his spot for the Sportsman race of Champion. After much discussion Brooke, who is qualified from Irwindale, asked and was allowed to take his place. She would be driving Kenny’s tow vehicle! She only had one test pass on Saturday morning before the beginning of the Sportsman race of Champions started. She ran a 17.57 which was just under the 18.00 max for the class. I cannot tell you all of her secrets and strategies she used for the races. Simple version, cut a good light and run your number.
So just who were the competitors she would be racing against? The top five Sportsmen class track winners from each of the 17 NHRA Div. 7 racetracks representing drivers from Washington, Oregon, Calif., Az, and Nev. What was the reward for the winner? A five thousand dollars first place pay out, a NHRA ‘Wally Trophy’ and a spot to compete for a national title at the 2008 Pomona NHRA Winter Nationals finals.
I’ll just tell you the end to keep this from becoming a book.

BROOKE MADE IT TO A SEVEN PERSON, SEMI FINALS, IN THE 2008 NHRA DIV.7 RACE OF CHAMPIONS IN THE SPORTSMAN CLASS AT FALLON RACEWAY NV.

That’s was just two wins short of a Pomona appearance! How did her last race go? She was hot lapping at this stage of the competition. Even though she ‘treed’ the other guy with a .023 to a .110 light, Kenny’s tow vehicle was hot and slowed in the last race by over .1 and that was enough to end my girl’s dream day. But what a day and what a wonderful experience we’ll all never forget.
I could end the post here but there was an ‘all racer’s race for team points’ on Sunday. Brooke somehow was paired up with the eventual 2008 Sportsman winner, Gary Hairfield. in Sunday’s race. OMG It would seem unbelievable but they tied with a double break out -.038 and the win went to Brooke with a better light, .047 to .074. The fans in the stands went wild.

She has all the time slip too! Plus a nice check and plenty of memories of an accomplishment that no can take away, and she’ll be back again next year boys.

Sorry, but she was not driving her 03 Sonic Blue Lightning at Fallon.

NoSurprise

Old 09-30-2008 | 07:57 PM
He!! yea,

Quick Reply: Summit Div.7 finals