Lightning

need some lightning expertise

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some lightning expertise

ok, guys, i need your advise. im coming over from the 97-03 section, but i need advise from people that know lightnings. here's my situation:
i have an 01 Wrangler that i'm selling, and got an email from someone seeing if i was interested in a trade. person said it was a lightning, but ends up it's an XLT swap. im waiting to get more info on the swap, but im definitely considering it as long as it's a legit motor & trans swapped in. badges & other cosmetic things can either be added later or not at all. i was always more interested in function(motor/speed) over fashion(cosmetics).

basically, im wondering everyone's opinion on this potential trade. i was selling my jeep for $8000 with all the modifications & lift. the other person was selling the truck for $8000 (down from $10k). is it worth it? anything i should look for on the swap that could be a problem? is the truck really worth what he's asking since it's a swap?

please let me know what you all think.....thanks.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 PM
what year is his truck how many miles on motor and tranny how good of shape is the body in stuff like that i would look at and before i did anything i would take it for a test drive for at least half hour you know cruise around town then get on the highway either half hour or 40-50 miles that way everything gets warmed up and you will be able to feel if anything is wrong cus he could have cleared codes on it and they might not pop back up for 40 miles or more ya know

Old 12-03-2008, 10:21 PM
ok. never thought about driving it around for that long. it's a 2001 XLT. still waiting for more info on the swap, but what i know now, the motor has about 111k miles. the seller says it's his daily driver.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First,,let me say. It is NOT a Lightning!!! Or will ever be one.
Just because someone put an L motor in it,,it's not any where close to the price of a Lightning.
2001 XLT what??Short-bed,long-bed,step-side,super-cab???Need more info and pics if ya can.
the motor has 111,000 miles on it,,,what about the truck.
Just to give you an idea.
http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=

The price probably should be closer to this!
http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=

Just remember,,,a dealer would only pay 2 to 3 thousand,,(if that) for that truck your looking at!
So it comes down to how bad you want it?
Good luck,,,let us know how it gos.

Phil

Old 12-04-2008, 06:52 AM
it's a reg cab flareside. im trying to get more info, but something seems fishy now. he's dancing around the answers to my questions. so now im not sure what's going to happen. i have to make sure everything is legit before i trade a perfectly reliable, legitimate jeep. ill keep you guys posted if i get anymore info. and if you guys can keep the tips/advice coming that would be great. thanks for helping a scab guy out.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:01 AM
if hes dancin then hes tryin to hide somethin with the truck i wouldnt do it thats just my opinion tho but if you got your heart set on gettin it just make sure you look it over real good like if someone told you they would give you a million bucks if you found out whats wrong with it lol i would look at every little thing

Old 12-05-2008, 12:09 AM
well, here's the update. i finally got out of him that it is nothing. i guess it's a 4.6L that he "thinks" is as fast as a lightning. oh well, guess ill keep dreaming over in the 97-03 side of things. thanks for the advise all. maybe someday ill get to post over here and say that i finally got one, lol.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 PM
keep lookin man you can find all kind of lightnings for sale now with the economy bein bad i found a couple on ebay for a pretty good deal people are just tryin to get out from under them better luck next time tho

Old 12-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
well, here's the update. i finally got out of him that it is nothing. i guess it's a 4.6L that he "thinks" is as fast as a lightning. oh well, guess ill keep dreaming over in the 97-03 side of things. thanks for the advise all. maybe someday ill get to post over here and say that i finally got one, lol.
Wow,,,that sucks,,,oh well.

Tell him I'll give him $2500 for it. I'm looking for a lighter truck to put my motor and tranny in.

Phil

Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 PM
looks like it "sold" on ebay for $5500. im sure the winner of the auction isnt going to be happy when he finds out it's just a 4.6L.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
looks like it "sold" on ebay for $5500. im sure the winner of the auction isnt going to be happy when he finds out it's just a 4.6L.
Do you have the auction # so we can check it out?
I would like to see how he listed it.

Phil

Old 12-06-2008, 12:29 AM
unfortunately i deleted it off my watch list earlier this morning.so i dont have it anymore.

Last edited by EBXGSXR; 12-06-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Wow what a d-bag. Thank God you didn't give that guy anything. I can hear it now: Dude its just as fast as a lightning only cheaper. I put a k&n and some flow's on that bitch. shes probably running high 12's right now. . There is a lot more to a lightning than the motor. I have seen some really good deals on some L's lately for right around your price range,higher milage of course. Good luck man

Old 12-06-2008, 08:01 PM
honestly, i am looking for something with a little higher mileage, but in decent shape. i feel like if i get something with low mileage, ill try to keep it low & it'll be a garage queen, lol. if you guys have any leads, please let me know. thanks.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:33 AM
found the guy's craigslist ad:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/929492909.html

he finally sent me a pic of the motor

looks like it's missing stuff, huh?

Quick Reply: need some lightning expertise