Lightning

Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009 | 08:05 PM
|
Temp Gauge

All,

Can someone tell me what their stock temp gauge reads under normal conditions?

I recently had a code thrown on my '04 that said the t-stat was stuck open and so I replaced it with a 180 degree one from a local chain.

The one I used as a replacement did not have any numbers stamped in it, but from the box and all indications it should be a 180.

My L is running with the gauge about half way up between C and H, just barely on top of the little thermometer symbol.

I'm just worried that it's keeping that temp by causing the fan to keep it cool, or that it runs too hot.

I'm just not sure that's where it should read, so any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

Shaummy

Last edited by Shaummy; 01-05-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2009 | 11:25 PM
The factory t-stat is a 192* or a 195* (I can't remember), so your 180* isn't going to cause it to run too hot.

The factory temp gauge doesn't have enough resolution to be of any use for temp troubleshooting...

Old 01-05-2009 | 11:48 PM
|
strange since I've had my truck since new and the motocraft one I took out is plainly marked with a 180 on it.

The thing that made we worry, is I don't recall the needle being that high before, but then again it could have been due to a bad t-stat. So that's why I was looking for a general area the needle shows.

What does yours show? Is it a stock setup?

Old 01-06-2009 | 09:17 PM
Because of my mods, I have a 165* in mine.

The factory gauge DOES sit a little lower than it used to, but it just doesn't have enough resolution to be of any real value. That's why I installed the A-pillar pod with the Autometers...

Old 01-07-2009 | 05:44 AM
As previously noted, my understanding is that these "stock" Ford guages have little resolution. My 2001L had either a 180 or 185 degree thermostat in it new, but I changed it to a 170 degree about 4 years ago - but the gauge reading never changed. When fully warmed up my needle sits a little less than half way between C and H. I know the guage does work, because before that I had changed the water pump and apparently had a big air bubble in there and it shot up it to "H" before I was able to put more coolant in the system.

Old 01-07-2009 | 10:59 PM
|
well...thanks guys. I guess in nothing else it makes me feel ok that the current tstat I have in there in the ballpark and I shouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge