Lightning

Cleaning the Intercooler...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009 | 08:00 PM
|
Cleaning the Intercooler...

Couple of questions:

1. When I cleaned the intercooler the silicone around the top of the fins peeled off. What type of silicone do I need to buy to repair this?

2. I wanted to use High Temp RTV instead of spending 150 bucks to replace the gaskets that I removed in order to do the cleaning. I think there is 5 gaskets that need to be replaced. Would using RTV be bad or ok?

3. I'm deleting the PCV system so does anyone know where I could pick up a nice catch pan with a breather attached to it? I would like to run both lines from the valve cover into one catch pan.

Thanks for all your help.

Kurt

Old 01-08-2009 | 08:48 AM
I wouldn't try to cheep out by using RTV!
Here ya go,,,just got to shop around.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Phil

Old 01-09-2009 | 10:40 PM
#1. Are you talking about the epoxy at the ends. If so I would ask a radiator repair shop

#2. I just reuse the gaskets but would not use rtv if I was going to replace them. The 2 main one are metal

#3. How about under the front bumper. anywere to get that damned smell away.

good luck. I just did mine today and was shocked how clean it was after 65,000 miles. BTW k&n degreaser is the only thing I will ever use again for this, works amazing compaired to carb cleaner or brake cleaner

Old 01-10-2009 | 09:19 PM
|
Just in case anyone wanted to know:

1. I used Permatex Ultrablack to caulk around the top of the intercooler.

2. I was informed that using RTV for anything below the blower was ok and I'm going to reuse the plenum - supercharger gasket and throttle body - plenum gasket since those were the best looking gaskets.

3. I found a nice catch can at my local speed shop. Now all I need to do is find a nice place to mount it.

Old 01-10-2009 | 10:06 PM
I don't know if you did a "search" on cleaning the intercooler, but most re-use the same gaskets they took off. I don't see anything wrong with using a high temp RTV, but I think if you do a "search" on others who have removed their intercooler for cleaning in the past years, they didnt use any RTV. Some did replace the gaskets with new ones - but most (including myself) just re-used the gaskets.

If you do a "search" on here I'd guess you can find several "catch can" setups to put in place of your PCV system.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Intercooler...