Lightning

Please Help!!!!/Compression Test #'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009 | 03:21 PM
|
Unhappy Please Help!!!!/Compression Test #'s

Hey guys, well I had a compression and leak down test today. The numbers were as follows cylinder #1 160, #2 160, #3 160, #4 145 and is leaking through the exhaust, #5 130 I believe they said leaking through the piston ring, #6 172, #7 163, and finally #8 160. Am I in big trouble or what? Do I really need a new short block now? They said they are concerned that if eventually I don't do anything something real bad will happen. Can you guys tell me what the avg. numbers usually are and some advice on what to do?

Second of all I've had this ticking noise on startup for a while now and usually goes away once the engine gets warm. It usually ticks louder as the rpms go up but eventually stops like it I said. They put the earphones to it and said it's either a bad lifter or the tensioner but I didn't have the money to find out today. Hopefully it's a bad lifter over the tensioner because he said if it's the tensioner it could take up to 9 hours because he has to remove most of the front end and at $90.00 an hour that's alot of money! Is this something I should do ASAP?

It feels like I can't win lately with this truck with these 2 big problems. Can someone please share their expertise with me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys!

Old 03-24-2009 | 05:09 PM
You have PM.

Old 01-17-2010 | 05:22 PM
some advice

Originally Posted by 03BadAzzLghtn
Hey guys, well I had a compression and leak down test today. The numbers were as follows cylinder #1 160, #2 160, #3 160, #4 145 and is leaking through the exhaust, #5 130 I believe they said leaking through the piston ring, #6 172, #7 163, and finally #8 160. Am I in big trouble or what? Do I really need a new short block now? They said they are concerned that if eventually I don't do anything something real bad will happen. Can you guys tell me what the avg. numbers usually are and some advice on what to do?

Second of all I've had this ticking noise on startup for a while now and usually goes away once the engine gets warm. It usually ticks louder as the rpms go up but eventually stops like it I said. They put the earphones to it and said it's either a bad lifter or the tensioner but I didn't have the money to find out today. Hopefully it's a bad lifter over the tensioner because he said if it's the tensioner it could take up to 9 hours because he has to remove most of the front end and at $90.00 an hour that's alot of money! Is this something I should do ASAP?

It feels like I can't win lately with this truck with these 2 big problems. Can someone please share their expertise with me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys!
90 us per hour ??
taking out the front cost you about 3 hrs , removing intake manifold 2 hrs, cylinderhead 2hrs
repair of vlv 350 us
so be carefully whit whom you dealing

i have also problems with onecylinder and doing all myself learning a lot, to behonest you can do it all yourself , a good haynes manual and good tools wil make your day
good luck

Old 02-02-2010 | 01:27 PM
#5 (front driver) seems to be one of issue in the 5.4L and 4.6L. If you jump on it do you get blue smoke out the exhaust? The others are the valves are not seating, either dirty/bad seat or bent valves.

Quick Reply: Please Help!!!!/Compression Test #'s