Lightning

6# pully with NO TUNE..how bad is it ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 12:16 PM
The canned tunes that come with the predator are ok at best. they do not compare with a good dyno tune. The stock lower pulley measures somewhere like 7.5" and is cagged. When people say a 4# lower or 6# lower that refers to how many more pounds of boost over stock you will make. like a 4# lower will give you 4# more boost. The bigger the lower pulley the faster the blower spins which creates more boost. I think the 6# lower is like 9" or somewere around there. When you go to buy the pulley they are sold as 4# or 6#. dont bother with an upper pulley as they require a puller/installer and will create belt slip. good luck sir

Old 04-26-2009 | 01:08 AM
agreed

most motors that failed from pulley changes were the direct result of the maf pegging......

The odd part is if have seen my maf voltage compared to other trucks maf voltage with the same mods and they all differ. Some by alot.

My buddies truck was pegging his maf with a ported blower, 4lb lower and 2lb upper, while my truck with a 4lb lower and ported blower had plenty of room.

I switch to a 6lb lower and around 5100 rpm i ran out of maf voltage.....a/f would go lean and wierd.

Switched to a sct2400 meter, but my tuner didn't have a tune for my truck with this for some reason, so i did some data logging and sal burned, and then tweeked a tune for me. Still seems to be on the real rich side.

I've contemplated going back to a my 4lb lower with my 90 mm maf and my old tune that was dyno tuned. But I hardly ever drive my truck, much less go to the track anymore. No matter what, every time i go wot in my truck, it makes my nervous......

Old 04-27-2009 | 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by silversvt04
With out a tune a 4 pounder CAN lean and burn a/several pistons. The noise is a ticking sound. sort of like a leaking exhaust manifold. The 6 pounder is CAN lean out with out a INcorrect tune. reread jollygiants post.

The hand held tuner can import tunes to the computer and can be used by the dyno teck to do a good and safe tune, ( tuner teck has to be knowlageable) The tuner can adjust the air, fuel and timing for the most safe power for street and /or an aggresive tune for high octaine and advanced timing for the track.

when I bought my first lightning it was a year before i modded, I researched all the options and understood the risks and finally ended up with 428 rear hp and 502 torque with a preditor tuner. That is about as far as you want to go on a stock block.

good luck
Fixed it for ya!

Old 04-28-2009 | 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by RustySocket
Fixed it for ya!
Thanks for the heads up. I am leaning more about tuning as I go along and what can be done but , in the north the air is colder and these trucks seem to make more power in the cooler sea level air.

I can't rember the year of this lightning but I was at the dyno when a guy brought his lightning in with burnt piston (s), the mods were a 4#, single blade throttle body, cold air and no tune. He had the lightning for just under a week and modded it with a friend.

Old 04-28-2009 | 06:48 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by silversvt04
I can't rember the year of this lightning but I was at the dyno when a guy brought his lightning in with burnt piston (s), the mods were a 4#, single blade throttle body, cold air and no tune. He had the lightning for just under a week and modded it with a friend.

Old 04-28-2009 | 05:48 PM
Here's the deal.

These trucks are fairly easy to mod and there is some power left on the table. They liven right up with a pulley, intake, exhaust and a decent TUNE.

However, each one is a little different.....(hence a CUSTOM dyno tune)

IF the truck is your daily driver and sole means of transportation, and you do not have funds to pay for a blown motor, just leave the thing stock and be happy with it. If you mod and are on the edge or in cold weather the risk is fairly substantial.

I for one would be very hesitant about buying a truck known to be run with a 6# pulley and no tune... odds are it's been to the edge. Yes guys do it...... people win the lottery everyday as well...... just not most of us.

There's lots of good L's out there, yes even stock ones. There was a '99 listed in the Washlo section of nloc the other day with 8K on the ticker for 17K or so... someone should jump on that.

Quick Reply: 6# pully with NO TUNE..how bad is it ?