Lightning

New owner.... and need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009 | 07:25 PM
|
New owner.... and need help

I just add a new toy to my list... got a 2004 lightning.

It was a repo and i got it real cheap... but the only bad thing about that is that i know nothing about it. I know it has a full magnaflow exhaust and someone told me that it doesnt have the stock pully anymore to... but idk about that. It does have a super chip and it has a switch for some thing... have no ides for what tho. It doesnt have stock fans anymore to. the tb isnt stock to... and it has a breather

But now i have a problem the truck is throwing a lean code and I took it in to a shop and the said its running low compression in 2 cylinders and i kinda dont buy that story

can anyone help me out with this??

here are some pics

Old 09-17-2009 | 11:21 PM
evo
Where are you located? Did they do an compression test?

Old 09-18-2009 | 04:35 AM
Truck of the Month
what 2 cylinders are the ones with weak compression? that is very possible if it's been driven hard, several people have had built motors drop cylinders like that the key is to rebuild before it blows and does more damage

the upper pulley is deffinantly not stock, is it running a stock lower? what tranny mods have been done??? does it have traction bars??? the wheels are not stock '03-'04 wheels, who tuned it????

Old 09-19-2009 | 12:12 AM
Whats with the stock air box????? Strange

Old 09-19-2009 | 12:19 PM
new lightning owner as well (for 4 days now). Nice truck! Good luck with answers, interested to see what people say.

Old 09-19-2009 | 05:47 PM
wrong wheels and coolant for "04

Old 09-19-2009 | 06:15 PM
you need a predator...a cai...if they didnt do a compression check...take it to another shop,and i dont think id worry about compression if the stock rods are in it...

Old 09-19-2009 | 08:45 PM
was the switch on when u got it checked........

Old 09-19-2009 | 08:46 PM
is the lower pulley caged..... has three supports running to it..... if u dont know take a pic and show us...... doesur tranny have a drain plug.....

Old 09-21-2009 | 03:49 AM
|
Originally Posted by evo
Where are you located? Did they do an compression test?
In Fresno California... and yes they did do a compression test... they said that 2 cylinders were low or something

Originally Posted by tarajerame
what 2 cylinders are the ones with weak compression? that is very possible if it's been driven hard, several people have had built motors drop cylinders like that the key is to rebuild before it blows and does more damage

the upper pulley is deffinantly not stock, is it running a stock lower? what tranny mods have been done??? does it have traction bars??? the wheels are not stock '03-'04 wheels, who tuned it????
I dont remember what cylinders they said... i will find out tho... the upper pulley is a 2.80 i think and i dont know about the lower one i can post a pic tho... i think there are no mods to the tranny... it does have traction bars (adjustable) not sure what kind tho.... i recheck the build date its a 01 and it was tuned b4 i bought it (thats if it was even tuned)

Originally Posted by Certified Drunk
Whats with the stock air box????? Strange
it came with just a filter that uses the stock pipping... its just not on.

Originally Posted by mbrasol96xlt
new lightning owner as well (for 4 days now). Nice truck! Good luck with answers, interested to see what people say.
thanks

Originally Posted by RustySocket
wrong wheels and coolant for "04
rechecked build date...its an 01

Originally Posted by 97_MarkIII
was the switch on when u got it checked........
yes it was

Originally Posted by 97_MarkIII
is the lower pulley caged..... has three supports running to it..... if u dont know take a pic and show us...... doesur tranny have a drain plug.....
idk about the pulley i can post pics... and idk about the tranny...how can i check?

Old 09-21-2009 | 07:18 PM
^^^ crawl under there, and look for a drain plug on the tranny..... if u have a drain plug, then it is a 4x4 pan... most people when they do valve bodys put a 4x4 pan on....

How hard does it shift

Old 09-21-2009 | 07:29 PM
do the wires coming out of the chip go to the switch? Looks like you can switch tunes with the switch. That would be useful if it ran nitrous. You should verify what tunes are in the chip and are they appropriate for your use of the truck.
If there's a breather filter on the valve cover, how does the MAF see that air intake? Lean, eh?

Old 09-22-2009 | 05:54 PM
|
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
do the wires coming out of the chip go to the switch? Looks like you can switch tunes with the switch. That would be useful if it ran nitrous. You should verify what tunes are in the chip and are they appropriate for your use of the truck.
If there's a breather filter on the valve cover, how does the MAF see that air intake? Lean, eh?
Yes they are for the switch... yea something is throwing a lean coed

Old 09-22-2009 | 06:52 PM
the switch is for an alarm, its to deactivate it if its goin off and u cant get it to go off

Old 09-22-2009 | 08:16 PM
I bet it's the breather on the valve cover. It's pulling in the air from the engine compartment and allowing it to be pulled into the crankcase via the PCV system.

Find yourself a normal oil cap and put it in place of the breather, reset the codes. and drive it for a while and see if the code reappears.

Quick Reply: New owner.... and need help