Lightning

Paint code

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010 | 11:04 AM
|
Paint code

Hey guys! I've decided to paint my hood and maybe bumper cover myself, hopefully i don't screw it up too badly!

Can someone tell me what kind of black paint to buy and where?? Also, how much i will be needing?? Any tips would be greatly appreciated as i've never tried my hand at automotive painting before. Thanks in advance

Old 01-07-2010 | 01:23 PM
If you've never done any automotive painting, I would avise you to stay away from attempting to learn on your L. The paint is a two stage paint which can be purchased at any auto store which handles automotive paints but the application requires a certain amount of expertise and equipment. It would probable be cheaper (and definately safer) to let a professional do the job.

Old 01-07-2010 | 02:06 PM
|
thanks

Thanks for the advice, i'll definately take that into consideration. However, if i'd taken that angle on everything i've already done then i never would've learned anything.

It's just a truck. If i mess it up then i'll just have someone fix it. Learning is half the fun

Old 01-09-2010 | 02:32 PM
Talking

If you go to a auto body shop paint and supply They will look up the paint code from your vehichle and set you up, unfortunately the two stage paint system requires a small amount of a hardener and the bumper needs a flex agent, each only sold by the pint or quart. I suggest some sort of breathing protection mask etc and some ventillation when spraying, paint fumes especially the urethane clear coat can be a little rough to breathe. Good Luck!

Old 01-09-2010 | 05:45 PM
|
paint

Cool, thanks for the info! I probably wont tackle this project until spring when it's warmer. Plus i've got to get all the stuff together and read up some more.

This is the perfect excuse to buy that air compressor that i've been wanting lol

Old 01-10-2010 | 12:30 PM
Talking

I see you have to tool up a little bit just a little info, look into a two stage compressor if your interested in body and paint work in this area it pays to spend a little, more as sanding and spray equipment requires faster air recovery time to keep up with demand, I found I can go a little cheaper on the spray guns like campell hausfield though not as good as devillbiss or binks theyre not bad and if you really get into it and want to buy better spray guns you can always turn the old spray guns into a primer only gun.

Old 01-10-2010 | 04:48 PM
|
compressor

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to save some coin, that's the hard part lol

But it sure does spend easy I'll post updates when the time comes. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Paint code