Lightning

Clunk Washer Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk Washer Help

Hello Fellow Lightning Enthusiasts,

A week a go, with the summer getting closer to ending, I decided it was time for my annual "throw some money into my Lightning". Unfortunately as an unemployed college graduate with no prospects, I didn't have a lot of money to throw around.

I decided on finally getting the clunk washers, a cheap fix to an annoying sound our trucks are so well known (only by us though it seems) to make.

I ordered the washers from chickenears, and got them very quickly in the mail. The washers themselves appear to be of high quality. Having a little bit of cash on me I took it down to the alignment shop and had them put on. 15 minutes later I drove away very happy.

Two hours later my truck made the same dang clunk sound while pulling out of a parking spot. I am no longer happy.

I know the washers were installed correctly, because I was under the truck helping the guy. I know the washers are not to blame because they fit snugly in the slot just as designed.

My truck is a 2000 with has been slightly (1-2") lowered. Ive read on other posts that the clunk washers main job is to stop the tires from wearing unevenly and that grease will actually stop the sound. I do have a little uneven wear on the inside of my tires, even after two alignments. So if this stops that Ill be happy, but Id really like to get rid of the sound as well. Has anyone else had the problem of installing clunk washers only to have the truck continue to make the sound.

Any help?

Thanks

Last edited by 31Charlie; 08-21-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Ball Joints, tie rod end, loose/worn axle bearing, some of my thoughts.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Like FireGuy said, check the balljoints.

My '99 was making clunking from the balljoints. Put in new lower control arms with new balljoints and it no longer does it.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the responses. What am I looking for when I check the balljoints?

New lower control arms and new balljoints sounds expensive?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Your truck make just one "pop/clunk" first time you hit the brakes and its quiet after that the rest of the drive?

i would check pitman arm/idler arm before ball joints.

ball joints will give you more of a popping sound going over bumps and dips and such

Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 AM
I guess I never really noticed how it behaves in regards to the brakes. It only makes the sound when making slow turns. Like into or out of a parking spot or driveway. But when driving straight at all speeds or turning at a higher speed, such as road driving it makes no sound.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:17 AM
I get all of the above, the clunk when making sharp turns. the 'one clunk' when driving, and maybe something going on over bumps.

I need to take my 2000 in to address these issues and have them check the pitman/idler arm, ball joints, controller arms. I'd also like to know a ballpark $ figure before taking my truck to the ford house

Old 08-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
not sure on Fords pricing, but i would expect a couple hundred bucks if you're doing pitman/idler together

what part in TX are you Valhalla?

Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is already a month old but if you haven't spent the money yet, do this first. Sorry I didn't see the thread sooner.....
https://www.f150online.com/forums/li...nfo-clunk.html

Old 09-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

There's some good info on that. Thanks for posting the link.

Quick Reply: Clunk Washer Help