Lightning

Recommended maintenace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended maintenace?

I am in the process of buying an 01 L and getting it ready to pass IN emissions, and I was wondering what type of maintenace I should do on a Lightning that I have no history on?

The truck has 86,000 miles on it. Tires and alignment will be first, so whatever needs to be done is not going to happen until the end of next month...any priorities?

Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Only 46 views and no one has a suggestion.

I tell you what....I really like this truck. Its clean, and it needs some tlc. I just need to learn what it takes, to own a Lightning....its the reason I`m here lurking and reading up on posts. I`m sure I`m going to need help keeping my purchase in top shape, and theres no better way to do it, than tap the knowledge base here in this forum.

What would you do first knowing what I know? Or don`t know......

Last edited by jpabs67; 12-23-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:34 AM
J,

Congrats on the new truck. I have an 04 DSG L and LOVE it!!!

Change the oil and filter to Mobil 1 synthetic and fuel filter every 5000 miles,
change the trans fluid and the rear diff fluid, new spark plugs go with Denso or NGK'S, and change the belts.

Also what mods are on the truck, take it to a good shop (Tuner such as DMP, JL, JDM) in your area and get a good tune to the truck. If the stock boost gauge pins above 8 lbs boost it has atleast a pulley. Find out all the mods and have a new tune built for the mods on the truck. Being if you dont know what mods were on/off and if they retuned the truck to the current configuration, dont boost (spool up the S/C). If you do you can blow the motor if the right tune isnt in place. Its not a cheap rate, but the safest to keep your motor. Also you can check the NLOC forums for more info and other owners.

If you are planning to mod the truck you will need to retune it to the mods, so its best to do the mods and the tune together and a new pulley comes with the belts saving you some cash on the belts.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:47 AM
One more thing, the S/C oil should be changed at 100,000 miles and order the L&S oil separator. All the other oil separators are junk, and when u do the plugs, if you pull the supercharger, clean the intercooler with brake/carb cleaner about 12 cans and you should be set.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:50 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
typical fluid changes, spark plugs, intercooler clean, throttle body clean and check the rear end fluid

Old 12-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Sharky
J,

Change the oil and filter to Mobil 1 synthetic and fuel filter every 5000 miles,
change the trans fluid and the rear diff fluid, new spark plugs go with Denso or NGK'S, and change the belts.

Also what mods are on the truck, take it to a good shop (Tuner such as DMP, JL, JDM) in your area and get a good tune to the truck. If the stock boost gauge pins above 8 lbs boost it has atleast a pulley. Find out all the mods and have a new tune built for the mods on the truck. Being if you dont know what mods were on/off and if they retuned the truck to the current configuration, dont boost (spool up the S/C). If you do you can blow the motor if the right tune isnt in place. Its not a cheap rate, but the safest to keep your motor. Also you can check the NLOC forums for more info and other owners.

Thanks, I do have a 6 lb lower, and I`m switching it back to stock. I`ll do a performance tune on the truck sometime in the near future after doing my research. I reflashed back to build specs.

If you are planning to mod the truck you will need to retune it to the mods, so its best to do the mods and the tune together and a new pulley comes with the belts saving you some cash on the belts.

I believe the cats are free flow or gutted. I purchased new rear o2s(they were cut off) and spark plug non-foulers so I can do the Gotts Mod this upcoming week as suggested. My first step is to get the L to pass emissions here in NW IN.
Jpabs

Old 12-25-2010, 06:55 PM
One more thing, the S/C oil should be changed at 100,000 miles and order the L&S oil separator. All the other oil separators are junk, and when u do the plugs, if you pull the supercharger, clean the intercooler with brake/carb cleaner about 12 cans and you should be set.
Where can I purchase the L&S oil separator (anyone have a link)? I did notice oil in the TB and the little red flag popped up until I read a few threads on the matter.

The intercooler cleaning is going to wait until March or April. I`ll do the plugs, boots, and ohm all of the COPS at the same time.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
typical fluid changes, spark plugs, intercooler clean, throttle body clean and check the rear end fluid
Thanks again as always!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:34 PM
J,

A DSG? I had to look it up....lol Dark Shadow Grey

Sweet!

What is the color name on an 01 white L? Is it Oxford? I`m just wondering because I was at the parts store and I was looking at the Duplicolor touch-up paints and wasn`t quite sure.

Last edited by jpabs67; 12-25-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by jpabs67
Where can I purchase the L&S oil separator (anyone have a link)? I did notice oil in the TB and the little red flag popped up until I read a few threads on the matter.
http://www.lnsauto.com/articles/ford...001_pics.shtml

Quick Reply: Recommended maintenace?