Lightning

Do our Lightnings have a bolt-on RWHP limit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001 | 03:44 PM
BfB
|
Banned For Rules Violations
Question Do our Lightnings have a bolt-on RWHP limit?

After all this Dyno work, we developed a smaller blower pulley for more boost. The blower pulley gave a performance increase below 4500 RPM, but we maxed out the air meter above 4500 RPM, which did not increase peak power due to leak of additional fuel flow. The 1/8 mile ET's improved but the 1/4 mile times did not. We are presently working on a higher capacity mass air and a new chip to accommodate this.

Our Experience has shown us that the chip, mass air and blower pulley combo works fine on a lightning which does not have our exhaust, because the flow is restricted enough with the stock exhaust so as not to exceed the mass air.
SHM states this above on their website, it seems logical, but I'm curious to wonder if this could actually be the true reason? Doesn't it seem that no matter what we do we just are not able to get any more power much past the 375 to 400 rwhp mark? Or is it just that we have reached the bolt on potential w/out doing internal work?

I've tried a similar post before but it did not seem to develop so I'm trying again hoping that it will. This is a very interesting topic that really should be discussed. I tend to believe that we may be buying specific pieces for nothing extra when they should be giving more power, all possibly due to a tuning issue that needs addressing.

A lot of stated that they have not gotten much gains on the upper end w/ a pulley and mainly lower ends, and that would hold true to the statement above. It makes me think that these pulleys aren't giving us what we could get on the upper end possibly because of the aforementioned issue. Some say, "You don't need to change your chip w/ the addition of a pulley because the fuel regulator will compensate, blah blah blah", and some state you should be tuned.

Another "?" I have pondered is if the '01s w/ their larger air meter (90mm vs 80mm) will be a better candidate from the factory for a pulley. You wouldn't have to upgrade the MAF possibly since it's already larger, and the tuner you choose could tune the motor more easily to gain additional power and prevent fuel leak above 4500 rpms.

So, has any tuner besides SHM possibly given thought about the non-gain mainly above 4500 rpm is due to fuel leak and the stock MAF running out of capacity, or is this just an isolated case w/ SHM and his '99 Lightning being that it has the aftermarket exhaust?

Many have put on all kinds of exhaust enhancements from cat-backs, to headers, to X-pipes, to the full combo and gained hardly anything, stating that the factory exhaust is such a good setup. I for one am leaning to the SHM theory that putting aftermarket exhaust on these Lightnings is probably not worth much until you open up the intake track some more and then force more air through it (which is common sense too). I feel we could be having much larger #'s by adding the full exhaust, a better MAF (maybe not needed if you're an '01 owner), a good filter setup, the pulley to gain more rpms on the blower thus more flow, and a good dyno test and tune.

There is no reason why we shouldn't and couldn't have 425 to 450 rwhp on these beasts. How many of you have the full exhaust with pulley and chip yet do not have over 400 rwhp? I just don't think there is enough of us yet out there that do in order for the tuners to address this issue. Someone is going to break the mold here and prove this (maybe?), but when and who? Maybe SHM will get some more info. soon on his situation.

BTW, SHM tested this on a '99 above so it had the original 80mm MAF he stated was undercapacity.

P.s. Remember this is just an subjective opinion I've come to.

BfB

Last edited by BfB; 07-08-2001 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2001 | 08:14 PM
My guess is we're probably real close to it. Some of us are over 400 RWHP and the majority are hovering around 360 - 380 hp. There are exceptions, of course. There's only so much that can be done with the "bolt on" stuff. I think if we had 32 valve heads we could do a whole lot more. Look at the 4.6 liter Cobra - 320 HP (280 or so RWHP) without a power adder. Imagine a 5.4 liter with 32 valves and our S/C. I'll bet headers would really make a difference then as opposed to now!! It's all about flow.

Jim

Last edited by gforce; 07-08-2001 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2001 | 08:38 PM
Never heard of a fuel leak... Do you think it could be a typo ??

Read this and see if it makes more sense

"The blower pulley gave a performance increase below 4500 RPM, but we maxed out the air meter above 4500 RPM, which did not increase peak power due to lack of additional fuel flow.

Lack rather than leak

No more fuel flow because the Air meter is maxed so the computer cant dial in more fuel.

Doug

Last edited by Silver_2000; 07-08-2001 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2001 | 09:16 PM
BfB
|
Doug, hmmm, you know that does make some sense. I, though, have heard of "fuel leak" from Chris Johnson when he's tuned certain vehicles before.

I'm sitting here pondering this and Doug's response is beginning to make more sense.

Two things: if it is lack of additional fuel flow then that means lean conditions, if it's too much fuel then that's too rich. Either will obviously reduce power, but the later will be the safest route. Lordie, we need a master's opinion now on this whole matter.

BfB

Last edited by BfB; 07-08-2001 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2001 | 09:24 PM
BfB
|
Originally posted by gforce
My guess is we're probably real close to it. Some of us are over 400 RWHP and the majority are hovering around 360 - 380 hp. There are exceptions, of course. There's only so much that can be done with the "bolt on" stuff. I think if we had 32 valve heads we could do a whole lot more. Look at the 4.6 liter Cobra - 320 HP (280 or so RWHP) without a power adder. Imagine a 5.4 liter with 32 valves and our S/C. I'll bet headers would really make a difference then as opposed to now!! It's all about flow.

Jim
Our motors are a lil underrated from the factory and the Cobra's motors are a lil overrated. I still think we've got a lot more in these motors and we're not getting it out yet, and some of it has to do w/ the tuning issues and the matching the intake/exhaust systems.

BfB

Old 07-08-2001 | 10:18 PM
Thumbs up

I think were the problem really is ,is in the exhaust ports themselves and not the exhaust.Look at every one who has the aftermarket exhaust and are seeing only 3 to 5 hp extra.
I have a chip and filter last year in Las Vega 343 rhp.Then redid the top end and a 90mm MAF now just a hair over 400 rhp still with stock exhaust.Oh they both were with headers.No blower pulley!! Stan

Old 07-08-2001 | 11:35 PM
Originally posted by gforce

I think if we had 32 valve heads we could do a whole lot more. Look at the 4.6 liter Cobra - 320 HP (280 or so RWHP) without a power adder. Imagine a 5.4 liter with 32 valves and our S/C.
a navy engine with our supercharger!
going once
going twice
sold to gforce for ...

wait I want it for myself

Old 07-09-2001 | 01:57 AM
BfB
SHM is not what I would call a lightning tuner, they have collected a small selection of parts to try and "get in on" the lightning craze but they are not working real hard at it.

When I read that quote the first thing that hits me is they are trying to sell 90 mm MAF's, a chip and most of all an exhaust system.

Next is there comment about the pulley, they use and sell a small upper pulley, I think there is a lot of belt slippage issues there. As a matter of fact I think there are a lot of lightnings with slipping blower drive belts, the belt is a high maintanence item IMO.

As far as the stock MAF goes, my truck has made almost 402 hp on the stock MAF and stock exhaust. I own a 90 MAF but I haven't gotten it to work to my satisfaction yet, I will, but its going to take some more messin around. Since that 400+ horse dyno run I have also installed long tubes and complete custom exhaust system. The gains from the exhaust (seat of the pants) didn't feel huge (maybe 15 to 20hp)but it did pick up the top end at the drag strip. I was stalled in the 105 mph range and after the exhaust it hit 110.5 and when I hot lap it, the truck will average high 107's on a 75* day. ( I have backed up the 110 with a 109.85mph run on the following week)

So to answer your question, I do not think the stock MAF is limiting our trucks to the 400 HP mark IMHO. And I do think the 90 is worth some more power, but maybe only on trucks that are more serious about the 1/4 mile. I think the biggest limit the truck has is the the induction system as a whole, it just was not designed with a lot of extra capacity or untapped potential. I think that any 01' or any truck with the 01' intake and intercooler might have a chance at 450 rwhp, but I dont think a 99'/00' will make it. Now if somebody comes up with a higher capacity blower that will bolt to the stock manifold then all bets are off.
Dale

Old 07-09-2001 | 04:53 PM
There is nothing special about the fuel rails in the Ls ther are the same size as the regular 5.4s and I belive the same size as the 4.6L motors in the f150`s as well.

Old 07-09-2001 | 05:37 PM
I have not looked at that many dyno sheets on these things but.... If any given mod increases torque at a given rpm (say 3000) but does not increase torque at the top end of the RPM range, then I would guess that the truck has a breathing limit somewhere in the air flow. This limit could be anywhere from the hole in the fender to the exhaust tips at the rear tires or anywhere in between. Given people have tried several different exhaust setups with little effect, I dought that the problem is there. My gut feeling is that Ford did there homework and we are hitting air flow limits in a lot of places. Fender hole, MAF, rubber tube, throttle plates, blower casting, blower, intercooler, ports, valves, ports, manifolds. With blower motors you can cover a lot of airflow problems untill something melts or blows. Welcome to racing. You want to play-you gotta pay.

Old 07-09-2001 | 07:41 PM
With the Pro-M on our truck we are makeing over 425HP off the Nitrous when we last dyno'd the truck. Now that was with the old motor, and with out the lower blower pulley and TB. We are hoping to soon dyno our L and see what she is doing now with the new motor broken in and a few more mods.

When at Fun Ford Weekend in Ennis last Oct.? Jerry Green (big guy in SVE) talked to us about our truck and the Lightning in general. He said the biggest restriction in these motors was in the exhaust vavles.

Old 07-09-2001 | 08:19 PM
BfB
|
Originally posted by Lightning Boy
With the Pro-M on our truck we are makeing over 425HP off the Nitrous when we last dyno'd the truck. Now that was with the old motor, and with out the lower blower pulley and TB. We are hoping to soon dyno our L and see what she is doing now with the new motor broken in and a few more mods.
Would you be kind enough to share some light on your mods for us?

BfB

Old 07-09-2001 | 11:34 PM
Smile

Lightning Boy
I also have a Pro-M 80, but I haven't run it in quite a while. I found it to be very "Octane Hungry". but also very powerful.

I should be asking Sal this question,but has the Wyldman got any new programs from Sal lately. I havent had my chip back for a reburn in about 6 months. Does he have anything new?
Dale

Old 07-10-2001 | 11:42 AM
THE ANSWER

Alright guys here is the answer. The blower is not capable of flowing the air needed to feed the engine once opened up. For example when you add an exhaust you do not receive improvements because the blower can not move any more air. Boost is a measure of back pressure. So when you add exhaust you might actually loose some boost. This is why ATI and Novi have introduced larger blowers capalble of moving more CFM. Larger motors require more CFM to continue building HP in the upper RPM range. The only way to make bigger gains in to change the blower, add nitrous, or add a piggy blower capable of moving more air. That is why the XX-mondo is not really used in pro 5.0 anymore because it cant support the CFM requirements of the bigger engines they are not using. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Do our Lightnings have a bolt-on RWHP limit?