Lightning

Twin Turbo Lightning?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001 | 01:18 PM
|
Twin Turbo Lightning?????

This may be a stupid question or maby not... I hear that they make a twin turbo kit for the F150's and is wondering if anyone has put one on a Lightning or would have any feed back on what would come out of doing that? I know that they would probably not be emissions legal but we don't have that in my county anyway.

Old 07-14-2001 | 02:47 PM
Arrow

It'd be sweet if they did, but I'm not sure if it's possible. That'd be too much pressure on the engine, and I'm not sure if you can run both turbo's and supercharger on an engine.

Old 07-14-2001 | 03:43 PM
From an engineering standpoint, the complication of a system like that far outweighs the benefit, IMHO. Remember: maximum output w/ minimun input. Besides, Spiro99SVT is on the verge of 10's (11.40?) w/ just bolt-on's (if you consider juice a bolt-on ). Neat idea, though.

Old 07-14-2001 | 03:51 PM
I'm not sure which Gen of Lightning you are asking for, but either way nobody "makes" a twin turbo kit for either Gen of Lightning. There are a few companies that used to make single turbo kits for the Gen 1s years ago, but I haven't heard much about them in a long time. There are a few turbo Gen 1s out there, most of them are home built set ups. As a matter of fact, I have a truck coming up from New Jersey for a custom dyno tune that is twin turbo in the next week or so. Should be pretty cool .

Old 07-15-2001 | 03:51 PM
I have mentioned this before here,SUPosidly there is a Gen II that has "appeared" at the track I run at that has a TT set up minus the blower. I have never verified this as I have never seen this "TT Bolt". I HEArd he was having trouble w/ the truck his "last time" there,but who knows? I have seen that a few "Performance" shops offer TT set ups for F150's (note they are NOT Lightning specific) again I have never SEEN one,so weather or not they exsist I'm not sure. I always have my camera w/ me when I am at the track so if its every there I'll be sure to shoot mucho pics. But in almost 2 yrs of track time I've haven't seen it

Old 07-15-2001 | 07:06 PM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
If I remember correctly, last Sep-Oct. someone on this board was saying that Ford was selling TT Lightnings in Saudi Arabia, since they have minimum/non-existant emmisions.

And there are light aircraft in development that have both a roots blower and a turbo, read it in an AOPA magazine in King Salmon.

The blower to start/warm up and in case of turbo malfunction, and the turbo for cruize. I dont see why it wouldnt work, just a fitting nightmare.

Old 07-19-2001 | 03:12 AM
|
Talking

If it is possible to put a Turbo on a Lightning even if it means taking off the S/C OR Lowering the boost, I would definatly give it a try. If anyone hears anything about this, please email me.

Old 07-19-2001 | 09:06 AM
Lightbulb

Check out the link in my signature and look at the street car page. I see you're in florida also.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Lightning?????