Lightning

First Time Dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001 | 07:56 PM
|
Question First Time Dyno?

I am going to Dyno my '01 Bolt tomorrow and have a few questions. First do I dyno it in Third, because if I do my L down shifts to Second untill around 70 mph or 3000 rpms. Next what numbers should I expect from a stock '01.

Old 07-17-2001 | 08:31 PM
There are two ways you can do it. One way is to bring the truck to about 70mph, which is about 2800rpms, and then make the pull. The other way is to do a pull from first gear, let the truck upshift into third, and then start sampling in 3rd. Either way you need to shut the O/D off so you don't go into 4th.

I've dynoed quite a few 01s, some have pulled as low as 330rwhp and some as high as 347rwhp. Good luck and let us know how you do!!

Old 07-18-2001 | 12:26 PM
My 01 (stock) did 355+ on a dynojet. It had 800 miles on it. I'm not sure the error on these things but that will account for some of the variation.

My limited experience also suggests that you will get better #'s with a cooler motor. The dyno can correct for temp, BP and I'm not sure about altitude. Your truck will make better power if your water temp is 140 than it will if it is at 180.

Old 07-18-2001 | 01:01 PM
I'm getting ready to do this too--first ever--on any vehicle. I guess this is the first vehicle (that I've owned) that is worth the time and the $$.

I've left a message for the owner of the dynojet shop that I plan to use. My guy had told me a few wks. ago that I had to determine at what speed/rpm that I could go to wot without the trans. downshifting. This is one of the reasons for that message; I'm not sure if I remember his instructions accurately.

I think I will dyno my L now, in the heat of the summer, and again in cooler weather. Of course, I'll have added more mods by then ie, it won't be oranges to oranges.

I will post as soon as I get back--hoping he can fit me in tomorrow.

Dan

Old 07-18-2001 | 01:52 PM
Have fun and take a picture with it spinning the drum for your scrapbook.

Old 07-19-2001 | 10:04 AM
Thanks need; I hadn't thought of that.

Dan
Originally posted by NeedFourSpeed
Have fun and take a picture with it spinning the drum for your scrapbook.

Quick Reply: First Time Dyno?