Lightning

Drag Racing Tips--long

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001 | 11:33 PM
|
Talking Drag Racing Tips--long

I put these up over on our local form at HALOCLUB.COM and thought some of you newbies might like them. I update them from time to time.

Keep in mind that these are tips for BRACKET RACING where consistantcy, not highest speed is the key (along with cutting good lites) to winning.

DRAG RACING TIP # 1

Tires, we have tried them all. The best we have come up with is MT ET Streets 26x11.5 R 16. A 28 would be nice but they don't made one and unfortunately the 15" rims available at this time will not clear the caliper. Best air pressure 18 hot or cold. This means letting air out after each run if you run quicker than every 20 minutes and possibly adding air if you sit a long time after consecutive air reductions. Heating up--If you try to do a tv burnout, you're gonna peal the rubber of these tires as they will not take it. tHE FIRST TIME WHEN NEW do one 10-12 second burnout and then let the tires season(set don't use) for 24 hours. Then, the next day, set brake and start wheels spinning. I watch by adjusting the side mirror to watch the wheel well. When you see smoke start counting 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005 release the brake, watch the tach, launch let off and brake. This has yielded consistant 60' times for me whether day or nite racing.

DRAG RACING TIP # 2
Cutting a good light is just like shooting a rifle. Remember how you were taught to take a deep breath, exhale slowly, and pull the trigger? Same applies to racing. When both stage the second set of yellows take a deep breath and start to exhale slowly. When you lite comes on you will be ready and not be destracted by inhaling. You will be ready to go!! Try it, it works and will cut down your r.t.

DRAG RACING TIP #3
When racing a slower car that will leave first you must NOT become a spectator and watch him. If you do you will loose your concentration and cut a bad lite. Always make sure you know what your competition's dial in is. If you don't know when you get across the road, get out and go look. Its not illegal. I just ask the starter.
Concentrate on your lite and don't look at him leave. Race your race. Cut a good lite, run your dialin and you will win!!!!!!!!!

DRAG RACING TIP #4

LAUNCH RPM AND RT

Launch rpm greatly effects Reaction Time. Higher launch RPM will decrease your RT. If you are trying to be consistant you and leave at the same place on the tree each time it is imperative that you have the same launch rpm. Since these tachs are not graduated very well, I susgest that you put the tach on 1,000 rpm which is easy to line up. Then start leaving at exactly the same place on the tree, like the beginning of the start of the third yellow. If that works but your rt is too low you can try moving up the launch rpm, but remember, if you spin the tires you will generally loose about .10 in et which is not good in bracket racing.

DRAG RACING TIP #5

What if the other guy stages both sets of lites. If you go ahead and stage when that happens it will result in the following: 1. It means you accept his stage and have no room for protest. 2. It means when you stage the second set the tree will probably start real fast (before you are ready) and you will cut a bad lite and lose.
What to do. DON'T PULL FORWARD AND DO NOT STAGE THE FIRST SET OF LITES. If the starter looks at you point to the other guy and point backwards. Make the starter move the other guy back out of the lites. When he does immediately move up and stage the first lite and as soon as he stages his first lite stage your second lite. You will definitely put him off his rhythm and you will probably tree him. All part of psychological drag racing.

DRAG RACING TIP #6 DO TO THE FACT THAT OTHER CLUBS VISIT HERE I WILL HAND OUT THIS TIP AT THE TRACK AT THE NEXT ICCB. HEH, HEH, HEH
DAY INTO NIGHT RACING

DRAG RACING TIP #7 CONSISTANTCY

Running last Friday with my new lower pulley, I was trying to be very consistant so I could see what difference my pulley was making. Here are the results.
60' et dialin.
1.98 8.65 --
1.95 8.64 --
1.95 8.65 --
1.95 8.65 --
1.95 8.63 8.63
1.95 8.62 8.60

As you can see the 60' times are very consistant. If your 60' are varying you cannot dial in an accurate time. If you have to allow for 50' that are varying .1 you are going to have to add so much fudge factor to your dialin you will be beat by someone running their dial. It's one thing to have a super best, bragging-right 60', but its another thing to have consistant 60' and consistant is what wins bracket races. There are two secrects to this. Same burnout every time. Same launch RPM everytime. I was launching at 1,000 rpm. I do a 5 second burnout AFTER THE TIRES START TO THROW BLUE SMOKE. I watch out of my driverside mirror. When they start to smoke I do a slow five count, release the brakes, watch the tach, and brake, shift to neutral, rev twice, check my dialin on the board, drop into drive and creep up to the lites.
noelvm

DRAG RACING TIP #8

If my truck is going to run faster at night how do I set my dialin?

First you have to know how much your truck will vary from 7 pm to 11 pm. The only way to find this out is to go to a track at night and see.

Stock (no chip) my truck use to vary .15 at night.

With a chip it would vary .1

With pulley and chip it varies .05

If you are launching at high rpm it will vary more because the traction improves although this may not be the case at car club.

By launching at a low rpm (1000) my 60's stay fairly consistant.

There is an inverse relationship between dropping temperature and increasing humidty. I have found that roughtly 1 degree temp drop is good for .005 drop in ET. 2% increase in humidity is good for a .005 increase in ET. 15 degree temp drop offset by 30% increase in humidity (not uncommon at LSR) should wipe each other out and you should run the same; however, this is not the case. Why? because the air right above the tract is not at the same temp as the ambiant air. If you start racing with an air temp of 90 degress and sun on the track then the air just above the track is probably closer to 135 degrees and two hours later it will be close to ambiant air temp which is more like a 50-60 degree drop. This is hard to quantify because I have no way to measure track temp and air temp just above the track, but one thing for sure you will run faster at night. Use the above rule of thumb when adjusting your dialin Saturday nite and remember you won't see it all at once. Usually one hour after the sun no longer hits the track you will go faster. It doesn't take that long if there is a wind blowing over the track.

you will run quicker and quicker each time, assuming you have at least a 30 minute cool down between runs. Back to back runs generally result in a .03 to .05 slower time.

DRAG RACING TIP #9

What effects your RT.

1. Obviously the most important is when you hammer it.

2. Octane of your fuel

3. RPM at launch.

4. Rear gears

5. Roll out

Obviously when you hit it is the most important. You must determine when to leave on the tree. You can only do this with practice, but there are other things that will effect your RT also.

Octane of your fuel will effect your RT. Higher octane fuel will produce more power which will launch you quicker and lower your RT. It is important to always have the same mixture if you want to be consistant. On straight 93 I have to leave earlier on the tree than when I have my 104/93 mix (50-50).

RPM at launch is very important for consistant RT. The higher RPM at which you launch, WITHOUT SPINNING, will lower your RT. This specific RPM will vary every time you go to the track. I have settled on an RPM which is lower than the highest I can launch at, but will always work and give consistant RT and consistant 60' times (1,000 RPM). If you don't know what your RPM is at launch, you will never have consistant RTs.

Rear gears, in theory, will change your RT. 373s should launch quicker than 353s and 410s quicker than 373s, assuming you do not spin the tires. At launch the lower gears equate to more power enabling you to leave the line quicker.

ROLL OUT. Roll out is the distance you vehicle travels after you trip the second yellow lite. To get consistant RTs you need to roll into the second set of Yellows the same distance everytime. Since you can't get out and measure all you can do is try to just barely turn on the second yellows. Bump up to the second yellows with the brake. Since our trucks are all automatics this should be easy to do. If you go to far into the second yellows you CANNOT BACKUP, by rules, however, you can keep going and go thru the lites, ACCIDENTLY, and screw up the tree. Stop, starter will motion for you to back up, he will reset the tree and you can restage. Never admit you did this intentially and don't make a habit of it. Deep staging by going to far into the second set of yellows will generally result in a red lite start if you are really trying to cut a good lit. Pay attenting to where you turn on the second set.

Noel

Last edited by noelvm; 07-18-2001 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2001 | 12:13 AM
very informative. i thought drag racing was just line up and go!! this makes me want to try, sounds like a lot of fun!!

Old 07-19-2001 | 12:22 AM
I'll have to remember that breathing exercise. It makes perfect sense.

Excellent stuff, Noel. I hope to run into you at an event sometime.

Old 07-19-2001 | 12:47 AM
That is why I like heads up racing!!!

Old 07-19-2001 | 08:02 AM
BRASS

Great post Noel.

My drill instructor at Parris Island put it this way...

B-breathe
R-relax
A-aim
S-slack(take slack out of the trigger mech.)
S-squeeze(not pull)

It's wierd what we remember--my 'vacation' there was back in 1961!

Quick Reply: Drag Racing Tips--long