Lightning

Horn turned wimpy???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horn turned wimpy???

Alright, here goes. I bought my truck back in October, and the horn sounded fine. Then, at some point, the horn's tone changed and now my 5,000 lb beast has bark like a chihuahua. I thought this was just something that went wrong with my truck and that I'd have to learn to live with, but then I noticed last night that my friend's L with far less miles is now doing the same thing too (it wasn't before). He said he had heard that Ford's have a high and low horn or something like that, but he "can't back that up". Have any of you guys experienced similar testosterone loss with your horn, have you figured out what the problem was, and have you found any way to fix it? Thanks, later...

Old 07-19-2001, 12:25 PM
My horn suffers from testosterone loss at times.

Old 07-19-2001, 12:27 PM
Cool

My horn went "wimpy" a couple of months ago, when I was on a job in Va. Beach. I was honking the horn when some zipperhead decided at the last second, that they needed to turn right in front of me!!! The first couple of secs, it was a beasty blast then it shifted to the "yorkshire terrier yelp". The horn was replaced under warranty, no questions asked. These horns are a fixed set (2 horns). I witnessed that it was a single piece assembly. Easy to remove/replace.

Old 07-19-2001, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two horns in our trucks, a high and a low. Most likely the low went bad, leaving only the high pitch horn. Sometimes they go bad, sometimes they just lose a good connection. You can pull the assembly off and clean all the contacts and where the bracket grounds to the truck. If it's still screwed up, the dealer will replace for you.

Old 07-19-2001, 01:30 PM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
$30 buys you a set of airhorns (no not the redneck Dixie kind either)...... wire a "button" or toggle switch in the cab so you can keep or use both.

pondering this one...

Old 07-19-2001, 02:00 PM
A friend's 99 Lariat and my 00 L have both gone through this. It comes and goes. Oh well....

Old 07-19-2001, 02:08 PM
I put in a set of air horns in mine. I picked them up for 30 bucks and wired them directly into the stock wiring. I used the same mounting hole and parts, just had to bend the bracket a bit. I mounted the pump on the front frame rail.

Old 07-19-2001, 02:23 PM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Evil,

bet it scares the shizznit out of the neighbors when you "chirp" the alarm.

Last edited by Speedin Bob; 07-19-2001 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2001, 02:34 PM
my friends and I were out at dinner one night and we had our table next to the window. There was a group of people talking next to my truck and one descides to lean against it. I hit the panic button and boy did that guy ever get off quick. I know it was a bit immature but hey, get the hell off my truck

Old 07-19-2001, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by EvilGuy
my friends and I were out at dinner one night and we had our table next to the window. There was a group of people talking next to my truck and one descides to lean against it. I hit the panic button and boy did that guy ever get off quick. I know it was a bit immature but hey, get the hell off my truck
LMAO. I plan on getting a set of air horns someday.

Old 07-19-2001, 04:59 PM
Cool

Hey MXRacer:
Have had the same problem with my L and the 98 F150 before it. I've noticed it usually happens after I pressure wash the wheel wells at the car wash. The L comes back after awhile, so I think Sal is right about the connections getting contaminated. Hope this helps.
Ed

Old 07-21-2001, 02:14 PM
Angry DAMN!!!

Just noticed lastnight that my "low" horn is dead...and only the high works. I disconected, reconnected, and it still does it. I never use it, so I think it must have died from rinsing it off under there with the hose after a good wash. I'll get it in sometime this week.

-AR

Old 07-21-2001, 05:26 PM
I bought a set of air horns after both of my horns went out. I figured it wasn't Fords fault because I was part of the tax riot here in Nashville a couple of weeks ago. I pounded that horn for about 20 min. then it gave out.

Old 07-21-2001, 08:43 PM
Way to go Leonard! Give those tax-lovin' pols hell.

Btw, I don't know if anybody else noticed but when I went to put in louder horns I found out that the stock ones were made by the same aftermarket company as the ones I was replacing them with--FIAMM(sp?).
Originally posted by Leonard Embody
I bought a set of air horns after both of my horns went out. I figured it wasn't Fords fault because I was part of the tax riot here in Nashville a couple of weeks ago. I pounded that horn for about 20 min. then it gave out.

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 07-21-2001 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2001, 10:38 AM
The air horns I bought were made by FIAMM also. I guess they have the market cornered.

Quick Reply: Horn turned wimpy???