Lightning

computer swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001 | 11:51 PM
|
Question computer swap?

At the risk of appearing redundant (many have already accused me of being redundant) I am posting these questions to all of the Lightning boards. Those of you who had your '99 or '00 motor replaced by an '01 motor, did they also swap out the computer, too? And did they install the '01 90mm intake? They haven't told me yet, but I assume I will be getting an '01 motor to replace my broken '00. I would prefer to keep the intake system I have now- Cobra throttle body and 80mm Pro-M- and if I do will I be able to keep the CUX2 computer, or will they insist on swapping it for the CNX1? I wonder whether they will give me a choice in the matter. And for those who had the transplant, did they also install the '01 intake? If so, what did they do about enlarging the hole in the fender? And are there any other things I need to look out for?

Old 07-25-2001 | 02:54 AM
when they do a motor swap (99/00 to 01) they replace the upper intake/intercooler/supercharger with a 99/00 unit.
they will leave the MAF alone..
i believe they pull all your accessories off (alt, p/s, a/c, ect) and put them on the new motor.

i do know of one person that has had the entire 01 setup put in his 99... i believe a exchange of money took place to speed up the swap..

brooks

Old 07-25-2001 | 02:59 AM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=34539
Check out this thread on WillMall2's L. He got the complete '01 motor with '00 MAF and computer. I hope they do the right thing for you and fix it right instead of 1/2 a$$in' it.
I wonder whether they will give me a choice in the matter.
? When is the last time you've been given a choice?, I believe you get it their way or no way.
The .......Fix is supposedly in now, at least it DIDN'T get done a few weeks earlier. Otherwise you'd be stuck with an engine just waitin' (@ 36,001 miles) to blow.
I'm finally leaking @12,400 and I'm going to take it to gober's Ford up here in the sticks to look at tommarrow. I'm going to need all the luck I can get.

Old 07-25-2001 | 08:42 AM
I have a 99 and just got the motor replaced for a 01 motor. All I got was the intercooler, motor and supercharger and the rest of the parts were taken off of the old motor. Hope this helps.

chris

Old 07-25-2001 | 11:19 AM
|
Arrow

Thanks, folks. Just got word that my motor is here. It is an '01f, but apparently they intend to utilize as many parts from my old motor as possible. They can't use the intercooler (leak) or supercharger (flaking vanes) so I wonder whether I can get them to order the '01 parts? If not I hope I can get them at least to order the improved intercooler? Got to go down and talk to them today, will advise.

Old 07-25-2001 | 11:40 AM
it should be a complete engine already...
see if you can talk them into making the wiring harness longer so you can use the 2001 stuff.

brooks

Old 07-25-2001 | 08:56 PM
|
Damn, both the mechanic and the service manager wanted to leave the '01 blower and intercooler on the motor I am getting, but Ford nixed the idea. As it was explained to me the '01 intake is not emission certified to use in an '00 truck, and it costs beaucoup bucks to get a part certified. Geez, its essentially the same truck, isn't it? Go figure. If I knew whose palms to grease I would. Sometimes there may be advantages to living in a third world country like Chicago. At least they ordered the just released updated intercooler kit for me. I guess I'll just have to live with it until I trade my truck in on an '03. Actually, I am really excited about getting a new motor. The original one was a dog, maybe now I can see 12s.

Quick Reply: computer swap?