Lightning

JDM Flip Chip Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JDM Flip Chip Question

Have installed a JDM flip chip, but haven't gone to side 2 yet. Do you need to disconnect the battery before flipping, turn off the ignition, or what? Also can anyone let me know if you need better than 90 octane on side 2 (would guess I do)?

Thanks-
Mark

Old 07-26-2001, 06:08 AM
Turn key off before flipping

What's on side 2? My side 2 is not for race so me along with anybody else have no idea what you are talking about.

Why don't you call and ask Jim?

Key should be off before flipping. Discounting battery not required unless you want re-learn to act quicker.

Old 07-26-2001, 06:56 AM
JDM's official stand is "key off and out of the ignition" before flipping.

I would have thought that 93 octane or higher would be required for any performance upgrade on a chip.

Old 07-26-2001, 07:43 AM
I would never run any L on anything less than 91 on any program. Jim (as do all the other tuners) does have quite a few programs of various performance levels. Normally the higher hp side of the chip would at least require 93 and sometimes as high as 100 depending on the chip. ASK THE TUNER

A little quick math

stock hp (according to Ford) about 370hp
the tuner gets about a 15% increase or about 55hp
the blower takes up hp that never makes it to the flywheel about 55hp see http://www.eaton.com/supercharger/M112.html

370+55+55=480hp

480hp/331 cubic inches =1.45 hp/in^3

or about 89hp/liter

That is some real hp from a street motor Feed it real gas!

A far as the battery... Each side of the chip has it's own quirks that the computer adjusts to in about 150 miles or so. If the the two programs are far different, it is best to disconnect the battery and let the computer go back to it's base tables and start learning all over. If the two programs are real close to each other, this will never be noticed. Only your tuner knows if this could be a problem or not.

Hope this helps

Andy

Last edited by awhittle; 07-26-2001 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2001, 09:42 AM
Personally I would disconnect the battery before flipping. No voltage has to be better, just in case. If you install a breaker under the hood that will disconnect the battery it makes life much easier. Any stereo shop should have them. I have a battery disconnect hooked up on the back of my truck.

Old 07-26-2001, 10:34 AM
What if you have to different programs on a flip chip like say, a normal street program and a vallet mode where it won't shift over 3000rpm's.

Would the computer need about 150 mph to adjust from that, say going from valet back to street?

Old 07-26-2001, 01:31 PM
You can get into trouble when the closed loop fuel curves are different on the two sides of the switch. If on one side, the base fuel maps are a little rich, the tables will learn this trend and lean up the mixture as required. The problem comes in when you get to the track, flip the switch and pull into line. If your high hp side of the switch is a little lean as set up buy your tuner and the computer assumes that the chip still needs this leaning out and now your truck is WAY lean and detonation sets in. If you would have driven to the track after driving a couple of days in the high hp side... the computer would have adjusted to the new base program and fed the truck the right mixture correction.

PS I think that this is all on the closed loop side of the program and with drag racing most of the driving is done at full power or in open loop mode. This is most likely more of a problem on the street when 1/2 and 3/4 power is more likely, like when climbing a hill right after fliping the switch.

Hope this helps

Andy

Old 07-26-2001, 06:51 PM
Problem I have here in Valdez is that the best I can get is 80 octane. I think in Anchorage you can find 92, so I guess locating a
fuel additive, or some 100 octane might be in order.

Mark

Old 07-26-2001, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ak.Silver2K
Problem I have here in Valdez is that the best I can get is 80 octane. I think in Anchorage you can find 92, so I guess locating a
fuel additive, or some 100 octane might be in order.

Mark
Is that a misprint? 80? no way, I hope

Old 07-26-2001, 07:30 PM
80 woa what is up with that

I too hope that the 80 octane thing is wrong, I think the lowest I see around here is 87.

Anyway if you can't find 91 or above you could use something like the torco fuel additive, I have some and have yet to try it. I got it for the race side of my chip and haven't tried that out yet. I need to get my fuel tank down a bit and then maybe I will try it out.

their website is www.torcoracefuels.com

They were very nice when I ordered it and I think it is a real good product. I have heard great things about it. You can take 93 octane up to 104 if you want to.

Hope that helps the 80 octane thing
Paul

Old 07-26-2001, 08:08 PM
i have a 4-way chip and i change setting while ideling in drive, all the time. i do not have any fuel change requirements on the programs. i have ,, valet/stock/street/nitrous, and have never felt or seen any "learn time" problems

Old 07-26-2001, 08:49 PM
Talking

If you want to flip the JDM Chip from one program to the other, turn the vehicle off, remove the key, and then switch the chip -- that is really all it takes.

It will take a while for your truck to learn from the new program -- depending on the program you are running, you may want to put about two gallons of 100 octane to 1/4 tank of gas for the race progam.

Old 07-27-2001, 02:34 AM
Sorry, meant 90 otctane, should read my post a little closer. Thanks for the replies. I'll try Jim for his input, just a little tough getting through on the phone with the time difference. Have to get my A__ out of bed a little earlier and try him in the am.

Mark

Last edited by Ak.Silver2K; 07-27-2001 at 02:37 AM.

Quick Reply: JDM Flip Chip Question