Lightning

Mustang FR500 steering wheel, anyone put one on an L?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001 | 07:22 PM
Hey gothp, if it doesn't work out for you I may be interested in it for my 98 Cobra.Let me know.

Old 12-12-2002 | 12:27 AM
well it's been a year since this thread has been around. Anyone do this? Will it fit?

Old 12-12-2002 | 12:51 AM
You do not need a steering wheel puller to remove the Lightning wheel. I swapped out my SVO wheel from my 2002 HD with the same basic 4-post wheel from the Lightning or 2003 Heritage Edition. I did have to swap the clock spring, wiring harness, and airbag. The real issue is wither or not the clock spring in the Mustang and the Lightning is the same. I will ask my parts guy tomorrow.

To remove a F-150 steering wheel, first you remove the two bolts that hold the airbag in the wheel (one on each side). I believe the bolts are 8mm. Once you remove the bolts, the airbag will come right out. Just un-clip the wires and set it aside. Loosen the center torx head bolt that holds the wheel in place. DO NOT take the bolt completely out. Work the wheel loose by pulling on it. This does not require much strength. The wheel will “pop” off and will stop against the torx head bolt. Remove the torx bolt and the wheel is free. The reason you do not completely remove the torx head bolt before you “break” the wheel loose, is to prevent the breaking of both the clock spring and the airbag wiring harness. When you yank the wheel off, you run the risk of yanking all the wires as well.

DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY OF THIS UNTIL YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.

DO NOT RECONNECT THE BATTERY UNTIL THE AIRBAG IS COMPLETELY REINSTALLED. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Old 12-12-2002 | 05:15 PM
TTT

TTT

Old 12-21-2010 | 02:46 PM
Wow talk about out of the wood works lol...Any body have some new info on this old thread??

Quick Reply: Mustang FR500 steering wheel, anyone put one on an L?