Lightning

Suspension Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001 | 09:34 PM
|
Thumbs up Suspension Install

If anyone in the Portland area would like to see the Hotchkis suspension while it's installed let me know. I plan to do my install the weekend of the 25th. Let me know if you want to swing by and check it out.

Warning: Not for the faint at heart L owner. You will see the truck with all of the suspension spread out on the floor. LOL.

Shocks came in today, the control arm bushings will be here Friday, and the sway bars will be here by Wednesday.

I was surprised to see that Bilstien did not use urethane bushings on the L shocks. I had planned to use urethane on the shocks but after seeing the funky bushing/washer combo I doubt I will be able to.

Up front I am changing the springs, sway bar, control arm bushings, end links, sway bar mounts and shocks.

Out back I am changing the springs, sway bar, end links, sway bar mounts, and shocks.

Looks like the only remaining rubber suspension bushings will be on the shocks.

Old 08-15-2001 | 10:12 PM
Silver bolt,
I just replied to your post on this over at NLOC. Can't wait to do the install, also. Are you planning on using the cam bolt kit for alignment?

Old 08-15-2001 | 10:24 PM
|
Oh yeah forgot that part. I will also be adding Herb's washers and the cam-bolt kit.

Old 08-16-2001 | 08:53 AM
Exclamation

Silver-Bolt,

Did you get the bushings w/ nuts for the rear shocks ???
My Bilsteins came without and I had to reuse the one's
off of the front shocks due to the larger studs on
the '01 pieces. Just a heads up.
I hope my sway bars show up soon as well.

Old 08-16-2001 | 10:17 AM
|
Rob,
Yep got the sock bushings. Wasn't sure if the fronts came with them so I got 4. Oh well now I have spares.

If I can talk "FlashSVT" into dropping by with his digital camera I will post pics of everything.

Have been getting a little stir crazy. It's been too long since I have made any mods. Need to "re-boot" that silly looking Lightning grin.

Old 08-16-2001 | 10:35 AM
Ok, you're making me feel guilty for not getting off my a$$ and doing my suspension. I have had the springs for a couple of months now and need to order the sway bars. I think you posted it before, but, where did you get the other urethane bushings.

Good luck with the install and keep us posted. I will be very interested to hear how it all goes and what the results are.

Old 08-16-2001 | 10:40 AM
Just in case Flash can't make it for some reason, I'll bring out my digital.

Bolt- email me with the time, location... and what can I bring over for munchies?

~rick

Old 08-16-2001 | 12:58 PM
Spoondog

Please take photos of the parts and install for all of us that what to see the install but cannot make it ..........Thanks

Seniorchief
2001 "L"

Old 08-16-2001 | 11:08 PM
|
Need,
I will repost the urethane bushing info once I confirm they are correct. So far they have made 2 promises to ship and they have not yet. Supposedly will be on my dock tomorrow. If everything checks out ok I will post all the details.

Spoon/Flash/anyone else, I plan to start Saturday morning on the 25th. Like to have it all done in time to hit the alignment shop before it closes.

Should have plenty of pics to post. I also plan to weigh every that goes on and everything that comes off. When the job is done I will re-scale and post the corner weights and front to rear balance. I already have the before weight info so I can post both.

JD from Hotchkis promises the bars will ship tomorrow. I plan to confirm tomorrow just to make sure.

Old 08-17-2001 | 03:39 PM
|
Just got the bush in hand. The bushings are from "Prothane", P/N 6-212. Kit says 97-up F-150. Read the instructions and you have to re-use the factory inner and outer steel sleeves. Had not planned on that part. Will let you know if everything fits correctly. Thinking I may pick up another set of factory bushing just in case these don't workout.

Old 08-17-2001 | 11:40 PM
I'll be there!

Didn't see this post here. I was replying on nloc.org.

I'll bring the camera and a box full of go fast goodies for my truck

Munchies? Hummm, I'll bring beverages. Just let me know what you guys want. Soda, Beer, Water, whatever . . . I'll pick it up.

What time do you want to get started? I'll have to skip out of football practice early.

Quick Reply: Suspension Install