Lightning

Securelock (coded key) question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 04:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Securelock (coded key) question

It was my understanding (from my mustang) that without the right coded key, the car would not start since the module in the column relays the code to the car's computer. without the right coded key, the car can't be started...

when i picked up the L, the finance guy (who also tries to sell lojak, etc) said that if the thief pulled out the entire lock with a puller, they could start the car since the code reader part of the ignition is gone. this doesnt make sense to me...

is the system in the L different than the mustang?
is he full of it to try to sell me additional anti theft devices?
am i incorrect in my understand on how the system works?

thanks guys!

Old 08-17-2001, 07:01 AM
Sounds like a case where the guy just doesn't have any product knowledge of what he is selling. The system won't allow the vehicle to start if the lock cylinder is pulled out. Kinda like when I bought the 01 Mustang GT-the salesman says "yeah, its got that big 5.0 engine, it can really move."

Old 08-17-2001, 04:42 PM
PATS

I'm guessing that your talking about the PATs system. The PATs is stored in the HEC module on F150's or basically your instrumental cluster. Now I'm not a thief so I coulnd't even guess how they steal the vehicles with PATs systems. I know when we cut keys we have a heck of a time programing them sometimes. Basically you have to use a NGS or WDS gain a 10 minute security access delay which seems like about 20 minutes pass by and then your able to program new keys. My guess if they yanked out the ignition switch the truck wouldn't start. If they pull the cluster it still won't start. I think that the PAT's is a good system, but if someone want's your car/truck they'll find away, and if they can figure out PATs I'm sure they can remove a lojak transmitter.

Bill

Old 08-17-2001, 04:57 PM
I thin PATS is tied into the engine computer. We tried swapping my computer into Sam's Lightning(same year, color everything!) and it would crank but not ever start. Put his computer back in and it started first time. Food for thought.

Old 09-19-2001, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a nice Lojack pitch by the dealership, but that's all it is. Pulling the lock cylinder will do nothing to help a thief get around PATS. The PCM is still looking for the proper coded key whether the lock cylinder is pulled or not.

Old 09-19-2001, 06:25 PM
the pats reciever ring (like a little antenna) surrounds the lock cylinder housing on the steering column. just pulling the lock cylinder shouldn't allow the vehicle to be started without a properly coded pats key. common sense would dictate that removing/cutting out/ or otherwise breaking this ring would also not allow the vehicle to be started (ie: you cant just rip the ring out and start the truck) because now you have no complete signal circuits. P.A.T.S (passive anti theft system) is tied into many of the modules, including the HEC (hybrid electronic cluster) and PCM and also it's own PATS module. I don't know why ford calls it "securilock" in the L owner manuals, maybe they do it in all of the owner manuals, I haven't checked, but most people know it as PATS.

later,
chris

Old 09-24-2001, 11:49 AM
Question Auto-Locking Enable/Disable

This may be somewhere obvious that I missed, but how do you enable or disable the automatic locking after you get out of the truck? (Mine is disabled and I want to turn it back on.) TNX...

-- Jim

Quick Reply: Securelock (coded key) question