Lightning

Mustang Made Me Look Stupid!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001 | 11:06 PM
|
Angry Mustang Made Me Look Stupid!

PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE THIS ONE OUY GUYS AND WHAT WENT WRONG AND WHAT SHOULD I DO, I RACED A MUSTANG GT, 5SPD TODAY HE WAS EITHER A 98 OR A 99, ALL HE HAD FOR MODS IS A K&N AIR FILTER AND GLASS PACKS, I HAVE A 2001 LIGHTNING WITH A SUPERCHIP AND THAT’S IT WE TOOK TWO RUNS ON A BACK ROAD BUT IT WAS SMOOTH AND STRIAGHT IT WAS ABOUT 90 DEGREES OUT, I HAD MY TIRES AT 32 PSI, AND WE DID SOME BURNOUTS BEFORE THE RACES. ON THE FIRST RUN I TOOK OFF AND HAD ABOUT A CAR AND HALF LEAD BUT IN THE END HE CAME BACK ON THAT RUN I WENT FROM THE IDLE, 3RD GEAR FELT LIKE A LOSS OF POWER, ON THE SECOND RUN HE GOT ME OFF THE LINE AND TOOK OFF I CAUGHT BACK UP BUT HE EDGED IT OUT BY HALF A CAR, THAT RUN I POWERBRAKED IT AT 1500, I HAD SOME INSTALLERS FROM A LOCAL MOD SHOP THERE. AFTER THE RACE WE TALKED ABOUT IT AND CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT MY TRUCK WAS JUST NOT BROKEN IN, IT HAS 1200 MILES ON IT, THIS HAD BEEN THE FIRST TIME IT HAD BEEN PUSHED OVER 80, AND THE TIRES BEEN BURNED, THEY SAID THAT MY MILEAGE WAS THE PROBLEM AND HAD IT BEEN 3000 MILES ON IT AND A PROPER BREAKIN THE OUTCOME WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT AND I WOULD HAVE EMBARESSED HIM LIKE IT WAS MEANT TO BE. THERE ADVICE WAS TO TAKE SOMEROAD TRIPS AND NOT PUSH IT AGAIN TILL IT WAS AT 3000? IM CONCERENED ABOUT THIS GUYS AND I NEED YOUR INPUT

?

HOPEFULLY-FASTANDFURIOUS

Old 08-25-2001 | 11:49 PM
Mine just crossed the 3,000 mark and it seems to be running better. I can be sure why it is though. I just had a borla system put in a couple weeks ago to replace a poorly installed set of flowmaster 40 series. My performance improved instantly. I have heard that 3,000 miles is the magic number quite a few times.

Old 08-26-2001 | 06:38 AM
Stop shouting with the caps. Break-in and get a filter to go with the chip.

Old 08-26-2001 | 10:32 PM
I engaged a 2000 GT in a stoplight grand prix not too long ago, and completely smoked him. It was about even until he shifted into second, then he continued to fade to 5-6 truck lengths by 85 mph.

Your truck needs about 5000 mi.

Old 08-26-2001 | 10:50 PM
Get the large K&N filter.. I'm not sure as to how much it helps the 2001's, but pre-01's benefit from them greatly. As far as the mustang GT... You should absolutely NOT have any problems with it(especially if it was a pre-99). If you are still having problems with it after 3k miles, I'd get it dyno'd and see if it is pushing normal numbers.

Old 08-27-2001 | 12:22 AM
FastandFurious,
The truck will get faster with miles. You should have beat him. I broke my 01 in doing a specific city,highway cycle. After, I took it to the track. 13.53 @ 103mph. 1000 on the odo. Had it dyno'd at 2,400 miles. 355hp & 423ft.lbs of torque.

I lost to a 2001 GT. I took him off the light by two cars he caught me and passed me. He said he had a 3.73 gear, K&N filter. I told him bull*****. Pull over and pop the hood. He wouldn't doi it. I found out later he was running Nitrous.

Did you stop to look under the hood of the Mustang after the race? You had a chip also which gave you a little more performance. I would try another chip and you have enough miles on the engine to hammer it. He had more done then just glass packs and a filter.

If you know for a fact that information you were told is true then dyno your truck with and without the chip to see what you are getting out of it.

Old 08-27-2001 | 02:11 AM
I had no problems beating a stang

Fast,

I feel bad for you, my truck i also broke in at 1,200 miles and about around 1,415 I raced my friend in his 99 cobra with a full bassani exhaust system and literally beat him all the way through the power band till I hit about 120 and began to brake. It was a good 1 car and a half lead. I had nothing done to my Truck at the time. Dont stress it though, eventually things will work out.

-Sam

2001 Silver L
Full Bassani Exhaust System
PIAA Headlights
PIAA Foglight Conversionkit
Tradertop Tonneau Cover
HKS 1z Turbo Timer

Quick Reply: Mustang Made Me Look Stupid!