Lightning

Cost to Own a Lightning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost to Own a Lightning?

Hi there I am new to the forum. I do not own a f150, but am flirting with the idea of getting a lightning. I will keep it stock and use it for daily driving and towing. I was wondering how much it cost to own one of these things as it looks more expensive than your average pickup truck. What kind of tires options do you run, since Goodyear quit making tires for them. What kind of gas millage do you get? What are the main problems with these trucks or areas of concern? Love my mustang but I want something that can tow and fit motorcycles in the bed. A standard f150 looks boring to drive. The lightning seems like the best of both worlds.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:19 AM
I've owned my lightning for 13 years. best vehicle I've ever owned. Has a few simple mods, +4lb pulley, tune, big filter. I also have a c5 vert and would sell it over the truck. the truck looks terrific, is fast, and can tow. Hankooks are still out there in the 18's, but personally I would go to 20" wheels with a lot more and cheaper tire choices. Gas mileage is just ok, 16 highway, 13 all around. They are extremely tough trucks and mine has needed very little work in 80k miles. I would buy one that has just minor mods a 4 lb pulley is ok but a 8lb is pushing it. Don't worry about the 99-2004 power differences most of that is in the tune. I actually prefer the 355 gears over the 373's for mileage and the trucks make a ton of torque so minor gearing differences isn't that important.

Last edited by Groundstrike; 05-23-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:28 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bullittstang
Hi there I am new to the forum. I do not own a f150, but am flirting with the idea of getting a lightning. I will keep it stock and use it for daily driving and towing. I was wondering how much it cost to own one of these things as it looks more expensive than your average pickup truck. What kind of tires options do you run, since Goodyear quit making tires for them. What kind of gas millage do you get? What are the main problems with these trucks or areas of concern? Love my mustang but I want something that can tow and fit motorcycles in the bed. A standard f150 looks boring to drive. The lightning seems like the best of both worlds.
main problems are idiot owners / lack of maintenance / lack of supporting mods and tunes

fuel mileage = LOL, try to think of it more as smiles per gallon

hancooks are decent tires for a daily driven truck that has no power

Old 07-20-2014, 12:30 AM
Not cheap to run - you can see the fuel gauge move if you stare at it for a few minutes! That being said, find a quicker stock truck. One way or another, you're going to pay for that performance from a truck. Worth it though. My suggestion... drive something easier to live with for the mundane stuff and keep the Lightning for fun. Otherwise, just realize it's going to cost whatever to run and drive it hard and drive it often!

Quick Reply: Cost to Own a Lightning?