Lightning

Hey guys what do you think???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001 | 09:35 AM
|
Hey guys what do you think???

Ok I know i got a motor problem cause the tapping noises are getting louder and louder and I'm not getting crap for boost when I should be getting around 14 to 15 PSI from what everyone else is getting with similar setups. I know I'm going to store my truck for the winter, so I got a good 3 months to get this done. I'm going to pull this motor and do one of the following.

1st. take the 99 motor out, rebuild with new J&E pistons and oliver rods with a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio, and a 01 IC, intake and blower setup, and hopefully if they have a regrind kit get that done. Estimated $4,000.00
2nd. Just get a new 2001 crate motor and swap them out? Estimated $5,500.00
3rd. Rebuild the 99 motor the same way as 1st, but install a custom upper intake and a novi 2000 blower. estimated $7,000.00.

With the first choice I should pick up some HP from the compression and I should be able to spary 150 shot safly at all times. I don't know what to do??? I want to keep it streetable cause I just love to drive my truck so much, but I want to go really really really fast. My buddy keeps trying to get me to install a novi instead of the eaton, but I that just seem so drastic to me.

I think I'm leaning towards the first choice, for reliability and performance. I think that I should still be able to run on pump gas with the proper chip calibration. SAL are you ready to work on my Truck next spring . Its going to be something new and you'll be the one to tune it.

While I'm at it I want to send the trans out to Precision industires to have it built to chit. Thats going to hurt the bank too!, but I think it should be a good daily/weekend warrior once thats all complete.

Thanks for your opinions guys, I value each and everyone of them. I got a real dilema on my hands now.

Later, JOE

sorry about the excessive posting, but I have to go golfing today and I won't be here for another day or so. I know some of you don't care to read BS threads so if you feel this way, please don't reply and disregard anything I have posted above. Just covering my A$$, and the spelling too.

Old 09-18-2001 | 10:09 AM
Hey Joe,

I really don't have an opinion on your motor, but I for one enjoy BS threads.
So keep the threads coming and good luck on your engine !

Old 09-18-2001 | 10:19 AM
My vote is for option 1. Also, throw in a good port job on the heads. I've heard a lot of negative things about porting L heads, but I don't think anyone has tried a seriouslly ported set. That, w/ the cams and upped compression should make your L an animal.

By the way, are you doing the work yourself?

Old 09-18-2001 | 10:26 AM
DB
Option 1.

Somebody here ported/polished their heads with some success - I think it helps when you are heavily modded.

Old 09-18-2001 | 11:06 AM
Joe,
I have ported heads and it does add up. I would, if I were in your shoes, go with option #3. You can get 30lbs of boost with a Novi..............that would be bad, good, phat.....whatever.

The first problem your going to have is finding someone to make the intake. Easier said than done. (I know cause I've been working on the twin cam setup for a long time and still don't have an intake yet)

The second problem is getting it tuned. You are basically going to be a "one off" which means there is a learning curve (spelled lots of time and money) to get it right.

If you are willing to take the time and spend the money.......you'll have one BAD truck.

Tim

Old 09-18-2001 | 11:22 AM
Cool

Joe, if I were you, I'd build a new motor, with ported heads and ground cams. I wouldn't go the Novi route, but that's just me. In my opinion, putting a Novi on makes it less of a Lightning. I'm weird like that. Might as well just get a regular F-150 and build it as a fast truck, with Lightning body parts if you're going to do the Novi.

I can build you the motor. I wouldn't go 9.5 compression though for a blown motor that you want to drive on the street as well as spray. I'd stick with stock compression. Going higher will only cause you headaches. I have a set of Ross pistons in stock, and I like the Eagle rods; inexpensive and super strong. I can have the heads and cams done for you as well.

No matter which road you choose, I should be able to help you out. I can build your motor, I can build a custom intake for you, I can tune whatever set up you choose, etc..

Old 09-18-2001 | 12:35 PM
I think you should at least stroke the motor. No replacement for cubic displacement. I think you can get around 30 more cubic inch. The problem with porting the heads and cams is that the blower cant supply the additional CFM needed. Therefore the increase in minimal at best. Until they come up with a bigger blower that is a waste of time. However on the nitrous set up this negates some of the need for the bigger blower. Just a little more difficult to tune nitrous safely for all different temps and conditions. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2001 | 12:48 PM
Hey, Surfdog. Go back and read this guy's posts and you'll see he's got a bank and a half tied up in his truck. This "B.S." stands for Big Spender...

Old 09-18-2001 | 01:26 PM
Hey Killa,
How about the new M112 rear entry blower from Eaton on top of option #1?
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=50840

Last edited by Redneck Ferrari; 09-18-2001 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2001 | 01:45 PM
Yes, so far it's bogus. We'll just have to wait a few months and see if it materializes.

Old 09-18-2001 | 02:11 PM
Sorry Sal, I read some of your other posts reguarding the "M166" and edited my last post to reflect it. Not quick enough.

Old 09-18-2001 | 05:45 PM
I would go with option 2, because of several reasons.the first one is the GUARANTEE.Yes you will start fresh with a new guaranteed motor and that spells reliability and peace of mind.Secondly you will probably part out some of the old engine(the good parts that is) to compensate some of your expenses.Remember you are starting with a FACTORY high performance engine that already has H.P.parts on it.Hell, just add the heavy bolt-ons and you'll be in the 11's before you know it.And despite what you hear there is a M166 on its way.The last thing to consider and the most important, is the time and labor you'll be saving over the other options.Think about it.The final decision will be yours,of coarse. Just my .02. Hope this helps.

Old 09-18-2001 | 05:57 PM
Does the new engine include the intake or is that the price for the block and heads?

Old 09-18-2001 | 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Mondo1
And despite what you hear there is a M166 on its way.
Where did you here this info from?
I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering why they tell Sal different.
Is it possible that people are mistaking the new rear entry M112 for the M166 ?

Old 09-18-2001 | 09:51 PM
Killa,
I was planning on going with a 2001 Lightning Lower intake and blower coupled with low compression JE pistons and Eagle rods, and possibly ported and polished heads. But I dont think ill have enough time this winter to get it done. To me sticking with the eaton roots type blower keeps it a lightning. If you go with a NOVI take a plane jane f150 and get your hands on a navigator engine with the 4V heads. That would be bad a$$.

Quick Reply: Hey guys what do you think???