Lightning

Here's the straight poop.... 01B81

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001 | 08:10 PM
|
Here's the straight poop.... 01B81

TO:All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT:Owner Notification Program 01B81 - Certain 1999 and 2000 Model Year F150 Lightning Vehicles -
Intercooler Replacement

REealer Announcement dated May 10, 1999, Low Volume Announcement Letter Dealer Announcement dated 12/17/98, Special Handling Procedure

OASIS:Yes
OWNER LIST:Yes
PARTS RETURN:No
PROGRAM TERMS:This program will be in effect until September 30, 2002, regardless of mileage.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
Certain 1999 and 2000 model year F150 Lightning vehicles built at the Ontario Truck Assembly Plant from the beginning of production for the 1999 model year through the end of production for the 2000 model year.

REASON FOR PROGRAM
In some of the affected vehicles, the supercharger intercooler may fracture and create an internal coolant leak. If this occurs the vehicle may experience loss of engine performance at full throttle.

SERVICE ACTION
Dealers must replace the supercharger's intercooler sub-assembly and top-off the intercooler coolant system on all affected vehicles.

LOW VOLUME PROGRAM
This recall is being processed as a Low Volume Program. This type of field action was announced in an All-Dealer letter dated May 10,
1999. Owners will be contacting the Low Volume Recall Coordination Center to arrange for this service. We will advise you via MORS III
of the owners that chose your dealership to perform the service provided by this Owner Notification Program. The parts will be ordered for you by the Program Coordination Center.

-------------------------------
I believe what this means is that Ford will be sending out a letter that you (the owner) will recieve giving you a number to call if your intercooler resevoir fluid level has been getting lower. you (the owner) then choose which Ford dealership in your area that you want to perform the service. Ford then orders the parts and sends them to that dealership and sets up an appointment for you. This is how the 99 Cobra lack of power recall or campaign was handled, it too was a "low volume recall".

hope this helps clarify things.

later,
chris

Last edited by superfords; 09-18-2001 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2001 | 08:13 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
much appreciated

Old 09-18-2001 | 08:16 PM
I posted all that info last week, but thanks for posting agian, some may not have seen it.

Old 09-18-2001 | 08:21 PM
|
Originally posted by LightningTuner
I posted all that info last week, but thanks for posting agian, some may not have seen it.
sorry SAL, I've been away for a while. Since before the terrorist attack I believe, haven't been up to date on what has been posted on the board. I just happened to run across this today while looking for some other recall information, and thought I'd post it. seems like alot of people wanted to know if Ford was going to cover their leaks out of warranty. This would indicate yes, and to those who have had to pay for repairs (20% or otherwise) I'd assume you are entitled to a refund.

later,
chris

Old 09-18-2001 | 08:31 PM
No problem Chris, I wasn't busting your chops, I just didn't want you to get attacked by the "search button" police .

Old 09-18-2001 | 09:45 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Lightbulb

belated thanks to you too Salvatore.

Old 09-18-2001 | 10:30 PM
Question

I could almost read that as all lightnings need to have the ic replaced.
What if, ( yeah I know) mine goes south Jan 1 2003? I have low miles on my 2000 , 9 K to be exact. so I'm not worried about mileage, its the time. I want the fix to be proactive. Any suggestions other than buy a 2003 L?

Old 09-18-2001 | 10:40 PM
Question

and another question??? Do I have to wait for this letter from Ford before I contact the dealer? Do they have to document that there is a leak with dye? If ther IS a leak should they replace the o2 sensors? ( Sue me, it was more than 1 question )

Old 09-18-2001 | 11:38 PM
Lightbulb

Originally posted by paintdglas
I could almost read that as all lightnings need to have the ic replaced.
What if, ( yeah I know) mine goes south Jan 1 2003? I have low miles on my 2000 , 9 K to be exact. so I'm not worried about mileage, its the time. I want the fix to be proactive. Any suggestions other than buy a 2003 L?
They are changing all of the '99 and '00's provided you take it in for them to do.

Old 09-19-2001 | 01:20 AM
Re: Here's the straight poop.... 01B81

Originally posted by superfords
TO:All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT:Owner Notification Program 01B81 - Certain 1999 and 2000 Model Year F150 Lightning Vehicles -
Intercooler Replacement

AFFECTED VEHICLES
Certain 1999 and 2000 model year F150 Lightning vehicles built at the Ontario Truck Assembly Plant from the beginning of production for the 1999 model year through the end of production for the 2000 model year.

REASON FOR PROGRAM
In some of the affected vehicles, the supercharger intercooler may fracture and create an internal coolant leak. If this occurs the vehicle may experience loss of engine performance at full throttle.

SERVICE ACTION
Dealers must replace the supercharger's intercooler sub-assembly and top-off the intercooler coolant system on all affected vehicles.

The way they word that notice sounds like it doesn't mean that they will cover all trucks under this Low volume recall:

"certain 1999 and 2000 model year F150 Lightning vehicles..."
"In some of the affected vehicles..."
"Dealers must replace... on all affected vehicles..."

Is Ford obligated to replace the intercooler for anyone that "claims" it is leaking? I know mine is leaking, but I really don't want to hassle with Ford going through their own testing to make sure that it does indeed leak before finally replacing it. I want to get this thing replaced as there is obviously some design flaw here. Does anyone know for sure that they have to replace them for any owner with a 1999 or 2000 L?

Old 09-19-2001 | 09:31 AM
Has anyone got the letter yet? If this came out in 99 how long does it take?

Old 09-19-2001 | 10:13 AM
Thumbs up

I called my dealer, at first they said I had to bring it in for test (did'nt kno what test)..Then I mentioned Owner Notification Program 01B81 , he put me on hold then came back and said he would order the parts and call me within 3 days..did'nt even have to take the truck in..

Ted O.

Old 09-19-2001 | 10:23 AM
Wow, all this time learning about my L and others, and I never knew that some 99 and 00's were produced with good intercoolers.

The way that letter from FORD is worded, it doesn't mean anything. It's reads like a letter from a lawyer to his wife. "I may have a coolant leak affecting certain 20 year old females in the area, which may lead to pregnancy in the affected models."

WHY in the name of *** can't they just say. "WE ARE GOING TO FIX ALL 99 and 00 L's. Why do they have to talk in double lawyer, difficult, we take no responsiblity for our products speak.

Last edited by mracer; 09-19-2001 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2001 | 10:24 AM
According to the letter, the Owner must contact Ford at the specified phone number to tell them what Ford SVT Dealer to send the parts to. Your dealer may not order the parts for you under this program. BUT!
The dealer can and will order the parts if yours is in for a intercooler failure. This has been and is currently being done here in Texas.
The letters did not go out in 99. They just recently went out to a limited number of 99-00 Owners. Anyone with the original innercooler will more than likely get a copy of the letter unless yours has been repaired with the New Innercooler Design for the 99-00 Lightnings. This is a Owner Notification Program, not a dealer TSB, which means the Owner will be contact, not the Owner go contact your dealer. Sit tight, its coming to your local mailbox.

Quick Reply: Here's the straight poop.... 01B81