Lightning

Visit to JDM Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001 | 07:33 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Visit to JDM Engineering

Just wanted to post a note about our experience with JDM Engineering's facility & staff during our visit there on Tuesday, September 11th, the day of the terrorist attacks.

We were there to check out Jim's place, his capabilities, his staff, some of the products that we've been using, etc., from A to Z, just as we always inspect potential manufacturers & vendors whose products we are thinking of using & selling to our own customers. I was also there to have them work their magic on our project Lightning, and to learn more about the installation & use of many of their products first-hand, directly from the experts.

I have to say that in my almost 30 years of handling hot-rods in various positions, from professional racing & engine building to all my other experiences, rarely have I seen the level of personal knowledge, expertise, overall professionalism & pride displayed not only in their products, by even more in their actions, by each member of their staff.

Though it was a horrible day in the American experience given the terrorist attacks, Jim's staff, as well as Jim himself, somehow managed to keep their focus and still got *everything* done that we came to do, despite the terribly tragic circumstances. In fact, Jim D'Amore personally had his hands on our project Lightning until almost 2 am the next morning, as they worked non-stop (well, we did stop for a quick bite to eat, in the office) from 8:00 am on the 11th until 2 am on the 12th to get all the work done that we came to do.

I was eager to get a chance to see this operation in person after talking to Jim a number of times, and after seeing him out at the track when he joined us for the Second Annual F-150 Online Rally drag strip event at Virginia Motorsports Park. We have known Jim for about a year or so now, and thought it was high time for us to get up there and check out his highly-regarded operation.

Jim has a very interesting (read: extremely capable) background, having done extensive R&D work under contract directly for Ford for many years. In the inner depths (behind the very well-locked doors, I should more correctly say) of his facility, I was grinning at rows upon rows of gleaming Ford engines; Lightning motors, V-10 engines, Cobra DOHC motors, Lincoln LS motors, Taurus SHO motors in both V-6 & V-8 flavors, custom hand-welded one-off intakes for various projects, and the list just goes on and on, what a sight! And that was just one room...............

One of the things that struck me the most was how downright accessible, candid & honest Jim has always been, and he was the same way in person, even more so. He never had an ill word to say about anyone, including any competitors we spoke about, he was very polite and matter-of-fact.

Though this is how it should be at any similar company, I have to say that it was refreshing to go to a well-kept facility where the people knew *exactly* what they are talking about directly from long experience, designing & having others design parts to their specification for our beloved FoMoCo's. It's just so nice to see a place where everyone knows exactly what they're about and what theyr'e doing, and the most efficient way to get each detail done.

This was apparent even while they massaged our project Lightning; watching Sean, Jim & some of his other staff members work was a true pleasure, as it was literally poetry in motion to an old motorhead like me. There was not a wasted step, motion or procedure. Everything they did looked like it had been planned out decades ago and confirmed over years of refinement, that's literally what it was like to watch them work. A real treat.

We can never thank Jim D'Amore and his group there at JDM Engineering enough for what they have done, not only for us but for all Lightning owners, and the circumstances under which they did all the work we were there to do were far less than desireable, given the events of that day. They never wavered, never flinched once, they were constantly at work, making suggestions, changes, and on and on, until at about 2 am on Wednesday the 12th, out rolled the Lightning, every bit worthy of it's name and then some.

If that weren't enough, Sean just happened to spot some residue on the Lightning's tailgate where someone had attempted to remove a dealer sticker but didn't do it right, and so there was the typical residue/mess left behind. Sean immediately whipped out the solvent to remove it all, and then insisted on waxing it as well. Sean didn't even say a word about any of this, I just found that he had done it afterwards. Sheesh, don't these guys ever quit?!?

I ended up my visit to JDM happier & more impressed than I ever expected to be. A more capable & nicer bunch of hot-rod friendly people you'd be hard-pressed to meet. In fact, we ended up finally striking a deal we'd been talking with them about for some time, and have now become an authorized JDM Engineering products distributor for all of their products, from parts to programs. It's always nice knowing that we have access to that level of expertise & enthusiasm, & we look forward to a long & enjoyable relationship with JDM Engineering.

Project Lightning? It was going to get it's first test this weekend at VMS, as we were going to meet JDM there, however, JDM can't make it to Virginia this weekend, as they will be at another track instead. So we'll make it to a track on another weekend here very soon.

Our Lightning is now considerably quicker, making obviously more power than I had estimated those changes would make, at *all* throttle positions, and the driveability & smoothness, as well as all-out acceleration, just have to be felt. The first time we did a 30 mph punch was a real eye-opener, and it was a good thing we had 3 lanes available to us at that particular moment, as it was definitely required to get it straightened back up after nailing it at 30.

We just had to post about our experience at JDM, as it's all too easy to forget to show proper appreciation when someone or some company has given "above & beyond the call" products, services & work, so our hat's off to JDM, and our personal thanks to Jim D'Amore!

Old 09-19-2001 | 07:57 PM
Thumbs up

Superchips_Distributor,
It was a great summary of your experience with JDM. I also feel the same way and they are my first and only choice for my truck.
JDM all the way..
Bill

Old 09-19-2001 | 08:12 PM
Mike very well said.

I went to Jim's shop in April, and I was also very impressed with his knowledge, and his desire to make my Lightning as fast and driveable as possible. Driving back from NJ to Ma after turning my truck over to Jim, I was amazed at the difference in how it drove. Since then I have gotten a few more little goodies from Jim, and they have all worked just as promised.

When Jim, Julie, Shawn and his wife came up for Fun Ford Weekend back in August, I was impressed on how he transformed all the lightnings into 1/4 mile rocket ships. He arived with a truck load of parts and left empty.

I just got my flip chip back from him the other day, and it is awsome. My truck keeps running better and better all the time. I have to thank Jim for all his help. He has been there to answer any questions I have had. It is great to know he is only a phone call away.

All I can say if any of you ever are in, or close to New Jersey, you better go check out his shop and say hi.

Old 09-19-2001 | 08:14 PM
Rest In Peace
Well of course hes gonna work on your truck until the @$$ crack of dawn you are superchips. Now whos gonna start the post on who got screwed over by JDM im sure it will out number the people that post that they had a good experience with him. Since ive watched these boards ive noticed that as someone posted on another JDM topic he caters to a select few and takes good care of them but its like F the rest of us. One of my first mods i ordered from him and got *****ed around with and didint see the part for months but my CC was charged that day and only reason i got the part was at his lightning day my buddie reemed his *** out. Then magically i got it the next week i probably still would be waiting. Oh well thats alright he lost a good customer in me just ask Sal or BaBolt. And its a shame to i live not to far away from his shop probably would be there alot if it wasnt for his $h!tty customer service. Some come on now that ive stated my experience with JDM just like Superchips_Distributor has and just because it wasnt a kiss JDM's @$$ experience im sure that all the select few he takes good care of will post here so i say bring it. And just like i did and superfords did i want all the people that got *****ed over by him to post to.
Vin

Old 09-19-2001 | 08:29 PM
Angry

<****ed by JDM.

Old 09-19-2001 | 08:43 PM
BadAzz516 and Calightnin
Haven't you learned anything from the events of last week?

This should be a time of healing, and coming together not bickering.

Old 09-19-2001 | 08:46 PM
This is the Lightning forum. This is where people bicker.

Old 09-19-2001 | 08:46 PM
We should all come together against terrorism. That doesn't mean we can't have different opinions on an entirely different subject.

Old 09-19-2001 | 10:30 PM
Cool

Mike,

Glad to hear you got your trip in and was well taken care of!!

Last time Bettina and I were there (8th) we had shakes, burgers and alot of fun....not to mention a much quicker mustang

So did you get the full deal?? 1 of everything??? Or just a few select items.

I will email you tomarrow with some interesting info.....

Let us all know how you make out at VMP...

Enjoy

Old 09-19-2001 | 11:11 PM
Mike, Good to hear about the trip. I have also been impressed with Jim's operation and facilities. Although I'm probably one of the most unrecognized JDM customers, he has always given me great service. I wish those who don't feel the same way wouldn't feel it is bashing time everytime a good JDM post is made. Semper Fi. R/S Dennis

Old 09-19-2001 | 11:16 PM
DL
Thumbs down

<****ed by JDM.

DL

Old 09-20-2001 | 12:30 AM
Wel stated Mike. If I knew you were gonna be there I would have headed up for a visit.

Old 09-20-2001 | 12:32 AM
Thumbs up

Mike,

I've bought from you and JDM. All I can say is the customer service from both of you has been great. If some people don't like Jim's service then maybe they should buy from you. They will get the same great products either way.

It's good to hear from you. I had a feeling you would be driving an L eventually.

Old 09-20-2001 | 01:23 AM
Mike,

Hows it going!!!! I hope to see you again at VMP. I was there with the black '00 on the F-150online Rally!!! I think I raced your wife's new truck a couple of times!!!!

I always have had good sevive from JDM.

badazz, Me and Jim were up till 3AM tuning my truck when I was there and if you think Jim chooses who he wants to give good service too, then I can only presume(by working in retail) that you and everybody else who has had a problem with customer service(minus the pulleys) were rude to start out with and never gave the benefit of the doubt for somebody.

I am not gonna get into this any further due to it has been rehashed over and over and over.

----------------------------------------

Mike, I am sorry you have to be a witness of these chidish antics, but that is to be expected over here.

I am also GLAD that you had a great time on your trip to Jim's shop (despite the tradic events of Spt. 11)and you really spoke for all of us(hdmlnium, superfords,DON C, Brian K, shorty, and LTNBOLT) in your thread and the way we feel when we visit JDM Engineering.

See ya soon!!!!

Old 09-20-2001 | 02:49 AM
Thumbs up NOT d*cked by JDM

OK, I'll "bring it on"............

I have been dealing with Jim and his business for several months, and always, Always, ALWAYS have had very positive experiences and results from his team. Not once have I felt I was mistreated or given the run-around. On the contrary, he has gone WAY above and beyond the call of what is considered great customer service and satisfaction. One of several personal examples.....Over the past 5 weeks, I have been having difficulties with my blower. Jim took it upon himself to first temporarily fix my problem. Knowing it was not "good enough", he set out to find a permanent cure. Sure enough he did, and I walked away from his shop that day with a new-found sense of satisfaction that I will have to incorporate in my own job.

Having been to his shop several times, I witness personally the dedication/long hours/attention to detail excecuted by Jim, Sean, Julie, Roger, et al. Contrary to certain stories, this level of service certainly extends beyond my personal experiences and the four walls of the shop. Phone conversations, E-mails, and other forms of communication are handled just as professionally and courteously. For every one complaint/refund, I see twenty or more compliments/orders. Wonder why.......

NO business can please ALL customers ALL the time, no matter the circumstances and no matter how hard one tries.

Well, it seems the "select few" are growing and growing.....

!!!!!!!!!!ROCK ON, JDM!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Visit to JDM Engineering