Lightning

Electric Fan Wiring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Fan Wiring Questions

I just finished installing a lower pulley with an electric fan and I have a couple of questions about the wiring of the fan. First of all, I am trying to use a thermostat as well a retain the option for a manual switch in the cabin. My biggest question is where did you guys tap into an ignition on source ? Also it would be great if someone could tell me how they routed their wiring for a manual switch in the cabin ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried a search ,but I couldn't find the specific info I was after. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-2001, 12:56 AM
Smile

As far as goin though the fire wall, I removed the rubber plug (its about 2" dia.)
It is located to the left of the brake booster (looking from the front of the truck) and is back underneath, right next to the drivers side valve cover. Grab the edge of it and it just pops out, there is a single boost/vacuum reference tube goin thru the center of it.

I used an exacto knife and cut a hole just big enough to push my wiring bundle through it, and then pushed it back in place.

I also run the wires to the ralays up through the wiring track that is at the top of the fire wall, Its a big black plastic piece ( about 3' long ) that is held is place by 4 small screws. After all the work, it turned out really clean. Can't even tell I was there.

I couldn't find a "key on" hot hook up in the fuse box, they all seemed to be hot with the key off. But I'm not finished yet and that is one of the things I have to do.
Hope this helps
Dale

Old 09-20-2001, 01:36 AM
I used a male spade connector to tap into the power distribution box (#302). It has about 11.9 volts that's only energized when the key is on. I used it to turn on a relay that uses full battery voltage, which runs my electric fan anytime the key is on. Also I didn't have to go through the fire wall doing it this way. I tapped into the hot wire for the fan with a toggle switch coming from the starter solenoid so I could run the fan full time at the track. Hope this helps.

Last edited by ASVTFordBoy; 09-20-2001 at 01:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Wiring Questions