Lightning

Truck-Traks production version

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001 | 01:08 AM
|
Truck-Traks production version

Well, it's been a long haul, but I have finally shipped the first production versions of the Truck-Traks traction bars. They came out pretty good, and fit like a charm. They also cam out 5 lbs. lighter each, than my prototypes. You hardly know that they are there.

How do they look?

I'll be doing more testing this weekend at the new California Speedway drag strip. I understand it's prety green and you may get 3 runs if you are lucky.

Anyone want to join me on Sunday the 23rd?

Old 09-20-2001 | 01:36 AM
Jay, those look pretty damn good! I might have to get me a set of those. Oh yea, I saw you driving down Lake Arrowhead last weekend in you L. I drove up with my friend in his lowered Pewter Metalic Silverado. Will you be at the lake this weekend? I will be driving up there in the l this Friday.
Thoams

Old 09-20-2001 | 03:06 AM
Talking Hey Jay

Those bars look pretty sweet Jay, I'll be talking to you later about them when your next load of them is ready to go for sure! I'll head up to California speedway with ya on the 23rd I've been looking forward to it since its opening. So drop me an E-mail when those bars come in and when your ready to head up to California Speedway.

-Sam
( sam1623@aol.com )
JL Lower Pulley #3
JL Diablosport Chip
Tradertop Tonneau Cover
HKS Turbo Timer 1z
PIAA Headlights
PIAA Foglights

1/4 California Speedway Time : TBA!

Old 09-20-2001 | 09:10 AM
OK, guess I'll show my ingorance. Haven't really heard a good explanation of 'traction bars'. From the name they are bars that help provide traction. From the picture they are bars attatched to the leaf springs. BUT, what does that solve/help/fix/improve? Another ingorant question that seems to be related, or I'm way off,... Ladder Bars. Proably not something you climb. Please help!

-Allen

Old 09-20-2001 | 09:13 AM
cost

Hey how much do these cost?????

Old 09-20-2001 | 10:35 AM
mocklab, the objective is to prevent axle wrap and tire hop...

When you apply high torque to the rear axle, the rotational torque makes the axle want to twist up and away. The "slapper" bars stabilize the rear axle by limiting that movement. As a side result, it also helps a high torque vehicle to launch straight as your axle isn't getting pointed in the wrong direction.

Also helps U-joint and pinion bearing life by eliminating abnormal angular loads on the components.

All in all, traction devices have many purposes and are well worth the money.

Personally, I like the design of the Cal-Trac's setup better than traditional slappers, but that's just me.. I like to be able to adjust the preload and stuff.

Old 09-20-2001 | 10:42 AM
Thumbs up Cool

Jay,

I like those. My truck has always spun out badly and sometimes has a horrible "hop" as it's fighting for traction. One day, I thought I damaged the differential it was so violent.

How much? This stuff ($$$) never ends, does it? I thought I was finished with my performance mods - guess not.

Jim

Old 09-20-2001 | 11:19 AM
|
Guys, for pricing and information, just check the website link. It will provide all the information you need.

Logan, you are right about the operation of traction bars. One of the most important functions of any traction bar is to provide leverage to lift the front of the vehicle. This allows the front of the truck to lift, transferring weight onto the rear tires. The more weight on the rear tires, the more traction you will have.

Cal Tracs are a great product, but are kind of hard to live with on the street if you drive the kind of miles that I do. They are a little noisy, and have an aluminum bushing in the front spring eye, which can be a wear point as mileage accumulates. They also take a few hours to install, and require that the aluminum bushings be pressed into the spring eye. If your truck is a race only vehicle, Cal Tracs are probably a better product. Truck-Traks are a street/strip, bolt-on and go!

The Truck Traks can be installed in a few minutes. Also, it is possible to adjust this traction bar, based on track conditions and tire type.

ciione, I'm going to the California Speedway to run the truck this weekend, but I will probably be there the following weekend to pull the boat.

Old 09-20-2001 | 11:57 AM
2kL
They don't look adjustable. Are they? On your website for track results it doesn't show your 60' times before and after. Do you have any stats or timeslips to show an improvement. Not trying to be rude, just an educated consumer.

Brandon

Old 09-20-2001 | 12:25 PM
|
2kL, adjustments are made by altering the height of the snubber and the position it hits the spring (distance ftom the axle). It is not recommended that you preload this type of bar.

I never ran the truck without the traction bars, due to the lousy traction provided by the tracks around Southern Cal. They are all old, and slippery. I have gotten down to 2.03- 2.04 on F1's at LA County Raceway. I don't know anyone who has done better than that with a Lightning.

We tested them at Carlsbad Raceway about a month ago. SVTLightning99 was using ET Streets, and getting 2.14-2.15 60' at that track (as you can see, traction is not available at the local drag strips). I unbolted them from my truck, and bolted them onto his truck in the pits. He improved to 2.06 without any other changes.

I'd love to try them at a track that has ANY track prep to see how they run. We don't have anything like that here anymore.

Hopefully, Sal can try them at Englishtown or some other track back there that has some bite.

Old 09-20-2001 | 12:32 PM
2kL
Here is a look at my last run. My 60' numbers are allways in the 1.9's. Why don't you send me a set of your bars for testing at the track and i will post the results. I am sure there are gains to be made with your bars, but showing tht gain would be beneficial.

R/T............ .618
60'............ 1.946
330........... 5.649
1/8............ 8.685
MPH.......... 81.26
1000......... 11.322
1/4............ 13.568
MPH.......... 100.29

Brandon

P.S. If you would entertain this idea, after my runs i would send them back to you. I would pay for shipping. Just a thought

Old 09-20-2001 | 02:01 PM
Facing A Lifetime Ban!

2KL:

Recognize that this would result in IMMEDIATE revocation of your amateur status (a positive "mod test") and effectively end your quest for the "fastest bone-stock Lightning" title.

Things are looking better for me all the time...

Incidentally, I have forwarded your post to the "modification oversight committee" for review - you might be contacted regarding a suspension or fine.

Old 09-20-2001 | 02:12 PM
2kL
Re: Facing A Lifetime Ban!

Originally posted by Silver-Y2K-SVT
2KL:

Recognize that this would result in IMMEDIATE revocation of your amateur status (a positive "mod test") and effectively end your quest for the "fastest bone-stock Lightning" title.

Things are looking better for me all the time...

Incidentally, I have forwarded your post to the "modification oversight committee" for review - you might be contacted regarding a suspension or fine.
I haven't even resorted to the free mods, like boost actuator, or the airbox mod. when i do. i could get into the 13.4's..then you will have to try harder...to catch me...

Old 09-20-2001 | 02:20 PM
DB
I just received my Truck-Trak bars yesterday and I was extremely impressed with their build quality and 'heft'.

I was able to install them without lifting my truck, in about 40 minutes. I also have 2" drop shackles, and they fit with no issues.

As I'm not much of a track-goer, I was more interested in finding a product that would provide additional traction on the street with street tires. After testing them this morning, I can say that my traction problems have been alleviated. Before installing the bars if I quickly floored the gas pedal from a stop I would just burn up the tires, as well as fishtail back and forth. The bars have alleviated both problems. The rearend just squats down and off you go!

I don't have access to a digital camera at the moment but they look awesome installed as well.

Jay has excellent customer service, and provided plenty of information and tips. All in all one of the best mod purchases to date

Old 09-20-2001 | 02:47 PM
Need To Review...

2KL:

Cutting on the airbox violates the spirit, if not the letter, of "bone stock". Adjusting something that is adjustable, like the boost actuator, is completely legal.

Keep this in mind.

Quick Reply: Truck-Traks production version