Lightning

Used Pro-M / Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I went to the dyno on friday to get a baseline before i installed some mods and my 01 made 374 HP and 448 torque with NO chip and only these mods on my truck!

1.PSP Pulley

2.Throttle Body

3.K/N Modded airbox

4.X-Pipe/Straight Pipes

Silver 01
80 Degrees

Old 09-23-2001, 06:04 PM
Smile

Mad, i don't have to check,i beleive you got those #s.But i am questioning that particular dyno. If you go to another dyno and the numbers are the same i will be driving over to best products to have them recalibrate mine as my L is much slower without the chip than with,and it is calibrated for the pro m. Matt,nice #s but #s for an 01.Do you think your 99 would produce 378 rwhp with your old pro m and tb?

Old 09-23-2001, 06:17 PM
Greg,
I had my 99 dynoed with pro-m,throttle body,headers with NO chip and it was alot lower like 348 HP and 426 torque! My 01 makes more HP and Torque with no chip and a few mods than my 99 did with chip and all my mods i had to boot!

Matt

Old 09-23-2001, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MadMax, no worries on the flame thing, I know you are not flaming, just asking a legit and GOOD question. And I am happy to answer.

There are many inputs that the PCM uses to calculate data for proper engine and transmission managment. One of the most important input is the signal from the mass air flow (MAF) sensor. The MAF is just a housing with two hot wires in it that takes a 5V signal, and determines air flow by the air cooling the hot wires and sends the measured voltage back to the PCM. But the PCM uses that data for more than just incoming air. The PCM calculates drivetrain LOAD. Load is used to determine not just engine functions (timing, air fuel, etc..) but is also used to calculate transmission functions. These PCMs are not like old EEC4 PCMs. It's not "do what's in the tables". Our computers use fuzzy logic, they "think" for themselves. They take many inputs and make decisions. So when you change the MAF, the voltage curve back to the PCM changes, and the load tables change, which changes A LOT of stuff. By inserting the actual flow data from the Pro-M maf, the PCM now has the data for the voltage coming in and makes the proper changes.

It's a pretty complex thing to try to explain, but hopefully this helps.

Old 09-23-2001, 09:48 PM
LightningTuner,
Can you answer this? Have Pro-M calibrated before buying a chip or just buy a chip and have it programmed for it?
Thanks, B

Old 09-23-2001, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double, leave the meter as is, unless you KNOW there is a probem with it, and just get the chip set for it. Either way, I can correct the chip for the meter. Might not be a bad idea to have it redone, with a fresh flow sheet.

Old 09-23-2001, 10:22 PM
east coast tunas...

Thanks! Sal..those are the answers I was looking for. Doug...lets pick a different dyno next time to compare...I will be the same with only a new fuel filter, current one has 18,000 miles...I have many mods in the boxes, but no time to install I am going stealth on the chip..and I will never tell what tuner chip I am going to use once I install it...lol My mod bank account is dwindling I have Jay Lincoln Truk-Traks, TR6 NGK's, Lower Pulley, Chip, Line Mod Valve, ruslow rotors......etc in the boxes...damn...wish I was on the East Coast to have all of this installed... I could pick a tuna...any tuna...lol I MIGHT have to have a vacation to drive out there and have it all done up at once...I am gettin' ready to see what the 1/4 krap is all about...lol

Doug...let the smacketh begin.... I am gonna play sneaky pete! LOL

Last edited by MadMaxSC; 09-23-2001 at 10:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Used Pro-M / Check Engine Light