Lightning

My Cecil stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My Cecil stuff.

Good to see everyone....made one of my rare drag-track appearences...hehe...

Well, figuring I'm probably the heaviest, almost-stock on street tires out there truck with a big-leak intercooler, I figured I'd take a run (for the first time!) down the strip today.

It was an oh, peachy 85F by the time I got up to run. (Around 2:20pm?)....GPS said Altitude was 99feet. No idea what the barometer is. I've got a PSP air filter and 25,000mi F1's on the puppy along with me, my heavy-*** ARE-II lid and my stereo system. lol. I'd imagine the weight of the truck was somewhere in the 5300-5400lb range. (Like Spiro said in his post, scales were closed).

I was probably the slowest bolt run there, but hey, it was hot, my poor beastie drank 1/2gallon of water through its intercooler on the way there, I have less then 3/32 tread on my F1's and I'm a drag newbie. (I prefer to autox)

I also took the oppurtuinty to dyno my truck. Its a 2000 baby, born in Feb '2000, and it has a PSP air filter on it.

Max Power : 310.1, Max Torque 383.1 ... that's SAE corrected running from 3krpm->5.4krpm in 3rd gear. (got up to 120+mph or so)

Here's the graph:

Sprio : always a pleasure to see ya man, glad I caught you on the way out.
Johnny & Wife : Great to see you guys again! Hope you had some more good runs.
Brian & gf : Thanks for the tassle for the antenna, was good to chat again.

Everyone eles I met, great to see you all...I was surprised to see so many Lightnings! Hope someone took advantage of the $10 off I got for the dynojet.

Take care,
Daniel

Last edited by thepawn; 09-22-2001 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2001, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dan, sorry I missed everybody at Cecil. I especially reget not seeing you attack the 1/4 mile. I would have made it, but I was sight seeing on Long Island today. Tell you one thing, I will never complain about traffic in Jersey again!!! Once I download my camera, I will make a full report. Later from the Gator

Old 09-22-2001, 07:12 PM
Pawn ,your pics wont show up on my comp!!?

Old 09-22-2001, 08:00 PM
Daniel,
Whats up with the pics?? not showing for me either. I was glad to catch you on my way out, I only wish I had more time to play
We'll meet up again soon. I plan to head to E-Town soon for some Wed. night T & T. Later bud

Spiro-

Old 09-23-2001, 01:54 AM
Can you see them now?

Old 09-23-2001, 08:24 AM
Daniel,
I see them now. Wow...you have one heavy truck there If i only had more time I would have helped you strip her down a little.

GATOR,
How did you make out? The traffic up that way really sux, especially on the B.Q.E and the L.I.E.

Old 09-23-2001, 10:52 AM
I made out GREAT and my truck even better! I was on 495 and the Cross Island Ex. Got a few things on my truck and got to dyno it. While at Mustang Magic got to see one bad jap car do a few pulls.......how about 1009 hp and 850 ft lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yipes my ears will never be the same I can't get my friggin computer to accept the downloads from my computer. I wanted to show Doctor Sal at work on my truck and the twin turbo 95 Lightning that Gregg brought up for Sal to tune. I tell you what, my rear goodyears will never be the same

Last edited by Fast Gator; 09-23-2001 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-24-2001, 01:35 PM
Figure, if you get rid of me, my lid and my stereo, it'd shave 650lbs or so off the truck. lol..that'd be good for 6 tenths! heheh

Old 09-24-2001, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by thepawn
Figure, if you get rid of me, my lid and my stereo, it'd shave 650lbs or so off the truck. lol..that'd be good for 6 tenths! heheh
We could let JL drive our trucks, there's another tenth right there

Old 09-24-2001, 02:36 PM
Yikes!

Pawn:

You need to get that thing to the ER immediately! In addition to being the heaviest Lightning on earth, it's also, in my experience, the slowest and weakest also!

For reference, I ran mine in 95-degree heat with only 300 miles on the clock and in a very light drizzle (100% humidity) and managed a couple of 14.3's. This is also at a little bit of altitude (550 feet).

I realize that your tires are hashed and your bed cover is heavy, but that's alarmingly slow. I think that beast needs some TLC.

I figure that with the filter and those conditions, compensating for the crappy tires, you still should have been 13.9's or so.

Also alarming is your trap speed. Even with a terrible launch (which you got, to a degree), you should be making enough power to get through the traps at about 96 or 97 MPH under those atmospheric conditions.

Also - if you see the green, you've waited WAAAAAY too long. Leave on the last yellow - EARLY on the last yellow.

Old 09-24-2001, 02:50 PM
I do attribute a large part of it to me never having had dragged before. I didn't do any of this power-brake up, put it in second gear stuff.

I sat, saw the yellows move, stepped on it at green (hence the 1.2) and went. I was in drive, didn't brake torque it, etc...

I'd like to see how my dyno numbers change once I fix my leaky intercooler...it is leaking alot, and I'm sure thats got an effect on things. I just have to remake my appoitment and get over my fright of leaving my beastie at a dealer.

Daniel

Old 09-24-2001, 03:08 PM
Not As Bad As You Might Think...

Pawn:

You did a lot of the right things. An ideal pass with a stock 2000 model would begin letting it cool down, folding in the mirrors, and heading for the staging lanes. It would help to jettison any loose, heavy crap that you don't need (like a cooler full of beer or a load of dead car batteries), but other than that, there's no need for any particular prep (note that this includes tire pressures).

If you're feeling tough, push that pig through the staging lanes. Otherwise, drive it up through with an effort toward minimizing heat buildup. When you're waved in, drive around the water boxes, if you can. Between the boxes and the beams, do a couple of full-throttle dry-hops to clean your tires, but nothing more dramatic than that.

You'll want to be in "drive" with the overdrive "on" or "off", whatever makes you feel good (it doesn't matter). Sit in the lights with your left foot on the brake at idle. When you see the last yellow JUST light, left foot up, right foot EMPHATICALLY down. Steer it straight and wave to your significant other as you pass.

There's no more drama than that. If you power-brake the launch with street tires, you'll accomplish nothing more than thrilling the gaggle of 10-year-olds at the starting line with a pretty sweet smoke show. This will be doubly true if you've adjusted your boost actuator or have a chip or pulley. If you rip a huge burnout in the water boxes, you'll simply advertise to the world how simultaneously wealthy and stupid you are as 50 bucks worth of Goodyear's finest goes up in smoke.

So you see, your truck is sick and you need to get it "healed" as soon as possible.

Old 09-24-2001, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I do know its sick. I'm just paranoid of all the doctors!!

As for weight, lol, I'll probably always be one of the heaviest trucks as I add alot to it just for looks and show. Then theres me, the additional ~290lbs. Heh.

I figured with the extra weight and street tires, I should have run ~14.2-3ish... Definately gotta get this intercooler fixed.

Daniel

Old 09-24-2001, 06:19 PM
Here's my Doctor

Quick Reply: My Cecil stuff.