Lightning

stereo equipment stolen-justice served

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001 | 12:36 PM
|
stereo equipment stolen-justice served

I took my new '01 (two weeks old) in for service at Crown Ford in may of this year. I dropped it off at about 8 am and went to pick it up at about 6:30 pm that evening. The new stereo equipment I had installed was gone along with damage to the door. Crown Ford said they were not responsible.
Fast forward to Aug., I filed a small claims suit against Crown Ford and requested damages in the aount of $2400, cost of stolen goods and damage. A week later their insurance company calls me says they will pay the damage to the door and that is all. I said NO WAY!
Today 9/24/01. I went to court armed with my information. I was confronted by two lawyers and their witnesses. I decided to argue the case on my own( I was getting really nervous). They argued and insinuated that I had commited the crime against myself. They also argued that there was a sign claiming that in no way they were responsible for non-standard stereo's. They also claimed that since I signed a work document that said they weren't responsible for stereo's etc. that they weren't liable. I told the judge my opinion that since the stereo wasn't sitting on the seat it was part of the vehicle so they were responsible.
It took the judge about 30 minutes to hear the case. I WON! Thanks for the support I received from this site. I can't tell you how much this does to see justice really work. I have to wait ten days for the judgement to become final. I hope they cut their losses. There were a lot of people in that court room who will probably tell their friends, family and others about how Crown does business.

BTW, Crown Ford is still a bad place to do business with. I would recommend the Two Rivers or Town & Country if you are going to buy an SVT in the Nashville area.

Old 09-24-2001 | 12:38 PM
Thumbs up

Congrats man!! I am glad it worked out for you.

Old 09-24-2001 | 12:51 PM
Re: stereo equipment stolen-justice served

Originally posted by Leonard Embody
[B] . . . I WON!
LE,

Great job, and against two lawyers from the dealer . . . way to go dude!

Never had it happen to me (touch wood), but we are all free game to some a$$hole mechanics (that should really be dealer employees)! Done in the same day during business hours, someone knew just what they were looking for!

Once again - Great Job . . . !

Bob

Old 09-24-2001 | 01:03 PM
I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. Great job in representing yourself!

Old 09-24-2001 | 01:12 PM
Leonard, geat to hear you won!! That was BS anyway. The dealership is responsible for anything that happens on thier property, that's what insurance is for. I the dealer I worked for, we used to have cars broken into or sometimes vandalized, and we always were responsible for it.

Old 09-24-2001 | 01:47 PM
That'll teach'm, congratulations!

BTW, what all was stolen ?

I know my amp and processor would be any easy target as well.

Old 09-24-2001 | 01:59 PM
Law 101 taught me a sign did not releave a business of responsiblity. Never the less, great job in standing up to the two goons. Now you have a judgment that needs to be collected.

If they don't pay, hire a cop to serve the judgement. Show up with cop at dealership and state you are there to sieze assets to protect your judgment. I'd start with that new L on the showroom floor.
Good luck
noelvm

Old 09-24-2001 | 04:52 PM
Leonard

Congratts. and your the man. I would have done the same thing if I were in your shoes. I hope this will teach them a lesson, that they should take better care of customers property.

Old 09-24-2001 | 05:28 PM
DL
Thumbs up

Hey easterisland,

Congrat's on winning your case, justice was served today..

Maybe JJ will believe you now... LOL

Take care,
DL

Old 09-24-2001 | 06:22 PM
Thumbs up

The best "kill" story yet, congrats.

Old 09-24-2001 | 06:32 PM
Sounds like the judge saw right through that bunch of BS!

Old 09-24-2001 | 07:00 PM
My faith has been restored in judges and courtrooms. Glad to hear everything went your way and will be happier to hear when said judgment is in your hands

Old 09-24-2001 | 07:43 PM
Banned
easterisland - congrats on winning. You need to re-read the post from noelvm as he makes a very valid point. That point being you won but it's up to you to collect. I wouldn't expect them to just hand over the money. They went to court to try and keep from paying you and they will probably just ignore the fact that they lost unless you press the issue. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Old 09-24-2001 | 07:56 PM
They have to pay or he can put a lien on their property. Believe me, he'll be getting a check in the mail in less than 2 weeks.

Old 09-24-2001 | 08:11 PM
Talking

Filing a lien on their property is NOT the way to go. Hell, it may be 100 years before they sell the property. Sizure of assets is the way to go. And don't forget if you go this route, you have incurred additional expenses, your time, mileage, hiring the officer from the court to seize the assets. When you show up to take assests, have a new bill, for say $1000 more, itemized, for your additional expense. If they don't want to settle, tell them you are taking assets and you will see them in court. Take a long a couple of TV station news crews too, Lots of laughs for their business.
noelvm

Quick Reply: stereo equipment stolen-justice served