Lightning

Truck Shuts off going into 2nd!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001 | 11:23 PM
|
Angry Truck Shuts off going into 2nd!

Ok, right now i'm unbelieveably mad.... Why you ask? Ok check this out, On sunday I went to the track and ran my truck for the first time... ended up getting really crappy times and the weather was really hot. I figured and Jay figured that something wasnt working right with one of my mods. So I went home angry and frustrated at my performance at the track. The next day I pulled my chip again and cleaned the connectors to make sure there was no dirt or something blocking the connector. I cleaned them again with alcohol and made sure everything was polished and clean. Stuck it back in and went for a few test runs. EVerything went great! I was pleased something felt stronger in the engine. So I went to go get something to eat. On the way back I hit WOT going straight through a light. As soon as it hit 2nd gear my engine of my truck shuts down completely however I still have control of the boost and the charger. When I hit the throttle , no engine but boost?! I didnt understand wtf had happened! I pulled to the right to make sure nothing slipped like my belt or anything. Everything seemed ok, so I started it back up and went again. I tried hitting WOT again the truck stalls again like the first time and I end up starting it up again. Ok has or does anyone have this problem at all?! Has anyone heard of it? I was so steamed about my track performance earlier and now this!??!?!? Anybody know what to do?

HELP!

-Sam

P.S my mods are as listed : JL Lower pulley #3, JL Ram Air, JL Diablosport Chip, Bassani Exhaust, Truck Traks and thats it! (and yes my chip was calibrated to everything above)

HELP!

Old 09-24-2001 | 11:37 PM
If you drive normal, does it shift through the gears ok, Up and Down.
Have you tried driving around without the chip? If it drives ok without the chip, thats your problem. Sometimes you can get a defective chip.

Old 09-25-2001 | 12:03 AM
tape?

Hey Sam,

Did you put tape over the chip to hold it in place? Just thinking that 1 - 2 shift maybe jolting the chip enough to disconnect it for a split second. Other than that... call JL, he'll fix ya right up

Mike

Old 09-25-2001 | 12:08 AM
|
Chip is tight

The Chip is in there tight with a good seal still from the original Diablo tape I also added a good amount of scotch to the outside to prevent dirt or dust to get into the ECU. i'm going to try running it without the chip, but was wondering if I run it without the chip wont i run lean do to the pulley?

These are what I think is going wrong

1 chip is bad and not sending enough fuel on the curve to the engine, thus causing the engine to stop.

2 still the chip is not connecting well to the board of the ECU

3 damaged the chip

4 defective chip

Old 09-25-2001 | 07:42 AM
Something similar...

happened(never happened before) to me on the way to work this am. I had just turned in off a state highway (runnin' 60 mph), had my headlights on(as I have for the past few weeks) because it was 7:15am. Right after I made the left-hand turn into my parking lot(after slowing down to about 15 mph), my eng. 'quits'--dash lites come on-I shift into neutral and restarted it with the key--drove a few yards and parked it??? Wasn't going to post it until I read this thread--no answers or even questions yet???

Dan

Old 09-25-2001 | 10:48 AM
It's probably chip related. Pull the negative battery cable, and remove the chip. Leave the battery unhooked for 5-10 minutes. then try to start it without the chip. If you have lots of mods, you should probably not use a lot of throttle, as the pulleys have a tendency to lean the mixture.

If it run's ok, it's probably the chip. Do you reinstall the plastic clip that holds the computer to the mount? Lot's of times, the plastic clip won't go back on with the chip in the service port.

I removed the metal mount from the truck and ground off the lip that prevents the clip from being reinstalled further up on th computer. If you do not reinstall the clip, the compter is free to move around. That will eventually knock the chip loose.

I had the same thing happen about 2 weeks after I had my chip installed. I did the above mentioned "mod" to the computer mount, and have had no further problems. I've got at least 20,000 miles and no further problems.

Check with JL, to see if he has any other people experiencing the problems. I'm sure that he can get you going again.

Old 09-25-2001 | 11:34 AM
If it is not your chip, it is your pcm. Did you disconnect the battery every time you pulled and installed the chip? What did you use to clean the connectors? When you pull the chip, if you see some weird crap like a check engine light, your over drive is constantly off or/and it is not shifting until it hits very high rpms (will be a very slow and violent shift), it is your pcm. If it is your pcm, am hoping your beast is still under warranty. I believe a new pcm is about $400.00-------money that could be spent on NOS!!!

Old 09-26-2001 | 03:25 AM
|
Talking Thanks all!

I was able to fix my problem, JL called me! What a guy! Hell of a customer service man. We were able to find out that one side of the chip wasnt connecting. I was able later to see with a good magnifine glass that I still had just a small coat of silcone on the back side of the PCU. I quickly scrubbed both sides down to a fine silver. I put two coats of Alcohol over the tips and the looked about as shiney as my truck if not better . I then proceeded for the test drive. OMG! did I get a new engine?! was my first thought ;p Then reality hit and it was just that dirty side of the chip that was causing all the problems!

THANKS JL!

Hell of a product you got there!

-Sam

Quick Reply: Truck Shuts off going into 2nd!