Lightning

On Intercooler Replacement List!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up On Intercooler Replacement List!!!

After reading about the limited recall for intercooler replacements for "CERTAIN" 99-00 Lightnings built in the Ontario plant, I was hoping mine would be one of them. Contacted my Ford dealer a couple of weeks ago and the only thing he showed was a recall for the wiper motor. My intercooler isn't leaking now, but it would be nice to have the newer 2001 part, and then I wouldn't have to worry about it in the future. Tried the dealer again today and ,forutne smiling upon me, mine is on the replacement list. Looking forward to not having to check the coolant level every other day with a worried eye. Couple extra HP will certainly be enjoyed too!!

Mark

Last edited by Ak.Silver2K; 09-25-2001 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2001, 01:24 AM
Has any one else with a 99-00 checked with a dealer?

Mark

Old 09-26-2001, 02:10 AM
I have and mine is scheduled for replacement also.

Old 09-26-2001, 03:46 AM
Wow, hope I have nothing like the experience Clonetek is having.
Though I will be dealing with Cal Worthington Ford. Maybe I'll call SVT and order the parts myself like Jay Lincoln did. My dealer is 300 miles away and would like the whole thing painless.

Mark

Old 09-26-2001, 03:35 PM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Ak.Silver2k

Shoot me an email, I can give you my service writer's name, pretty professional fellow. Be sure and pester them about a rental car because its gonna take a few days. And they are stingy with them.

And make sure they have all the parts!

(Dont expect them to wash your truck when its done)

Old 09-26-2001, 03:42 PM
I called my dealership the other day and they don't even know what an intercooler is moreless if I am on some list for replacement. I checked with a few other dealers and I am not on any of their lists and my I/C isn't leaking yet (13,500 miles)so maybe I am home free. We will see.

Can you call SVT directly to see if you are on the list??

Old 09-26-2001, 04:45 PM
Gents, Hopefully you will have better luck than me. Took it to the dealer 3 September and since then I have been waiting for parts .
At least mine isn't leaking very much, just enough to warrant a new I/C.

Old 09-26-2001, 05:00 PM
Geez, i don't know why you guys are having so many problems? Got mine replaced 2 weeks ago with the newest parts. Mine was in the shop for 6 days, and thats only cause i dropped it off Tuesday morning right before the tradegy and it took longer because the airlines were shut down. I'm sure your dealer could have parts overnighted, or at least in 2-3 days. Got mine done at a local dealer from where i bought it in Delaware.
Noticed alot better throttle response and power at full thottle now.

Old 09-26-2001, 06:37 PM
Cal Worthington got kicked out of CA years ago for unethical business practices. The CA Atty General said something about turning back odometers on used cars that he was selling.

I hope he has changed his ways.

Old 09-27-2001, 01:51 AM
Jay, I heard he got booted from Washington too. Unfortunatley he is the only SVT dealer in the state. But I did kind of bypass them and called SVT. They will not only tell you if your car is on the list but they will also send THE PARTS, to the dealer of your choice.

Tundra, will e-mail you shortly, thanks.

Mark

Old 09-27-2001, 04:27 AM
AK: i think most of my problems were from the airlines being shut down..

brooks

Old 09-27-2001, 06:46 AM
Ak.Silver2K:
Most dealers have become aware of the recall in the past week. Don't think the recall was posted through OASIS untill about 10 days ago. The letter says "certain" 99-00 Ls, but gives production dates that essentially cover ALL 99-00 Ls. Have the service dept. run another OASIS for your VIN, it should show up. The recall is regardless of mileage, but it expires in September 2002. There is no need to wait for a leak. The fix is not a retrofit of the 2001 IC, manifold and S/C: its a replacement IC only. I believe Ford will not check/replace plugs or O2 sensors unless there's evidence of leaking. If you have any questions call the 800 SVT #, they'll give you the right poop.

Quick Reply: On Intercooler Replacement List!!!