Lightning

Another Clunk Question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another Clunk Question?

Sounds like the clunk is a ford problem not a consumers problem.Why are you folks fixing it yourselves?
I was also wondering where i can get those washers they were talking about in the other thread?I guess the only reason why you woulnt is because of the mods some of us have done?
Thanks..

Old 09-26-2001, 12:50 AM
everybody is fixing it themselves because the ford fix doesn't work.

also some people are scared to go to the dealership either because they are afraid of getting their warranty voided because of mods, or because they are afraid the dealership personnel will mess up their truck.

later,
chris

Old 09-26-2001, 03:12 PM
Yep what Super said. Ford's fix is a joke. Herb's washers work. Do a search under Herb's washers I am sure his email address will come up.

Old 09-26-2001, 04:02 PM
Ahem...

I just want to jump in here for a sec as the voice of reason. I had the Ford fix performed on my vehicle and it has worked beautifully (so far). A lot of people on this board who swear the fix doesn't work haven't even given it a chance. I personally spoke with the SVT chassis engineer IN PERSON and he told me the fix solved 90% of the problems, and that they were studying the cases that were not fixed. Before I took my truck in for the fix I asked around on this board for the TSB #. Guess what. No one had it, or if they did, they didn't respond. Sure some guys have tried it and it didn't work. Does that mean it won't work for you? Maybe maybe not. The Ford fix is free, Herb's fix is not. I didn't feel I should have to pay for something that Ford was responsible for/willing to fix for me. You of course can do what you want. It is your vehicle.

Old 09-26-2001, 09:35 PM
clunk

make sure that you put a dab of grease on the steering stops just look at them and you will know if its bare metal they will make a real bad noise

Old 09-26-2001, 10:36 PM
Re: Ahem...

Originally posted by 2000Black
I just want to jump in here for a sec as the voice of reason. I had the Ford fix performed on my vehicle and it has worked beautifully (so far). A lot of people on this board who swear the fix doesn't work haven't even given it a chance. I personally spoke with the SVT chassis engineer IN PERSON and he told me the fix solved 90% of the problems, and that they were studying the cases that were not fixed. Before I took my truck in for the fix I asked around on this board for the TSB #. Guess what. No one had it, or if they did, they didn't respond. Sure some guys have tried it and it didn't work. Does that mean it won't work for you? Maybe maybe not. The Ford fix is free, Herb's fix is not. I didn't feel I should have to pay for something that Ford was responsible for/willing to fix for me. You of course can do what you want. It is your vehicle.
I agree with you 100% in that alot of people here are WAY too quick to write the dealerhship & Ford off before they are even given a chance.

In this particular case however, my 2001 L came equipped from the factory with the "fix" star or toothed washers. unfortunately, it also came equipped from the factory with both the control arm and steering stop clunks! I know this because literally the very minute it rolled off the hauler with 7 virgin miles on it, the keys went into my hands. You see I am a factory certified Ford Tech at Universal Ford here in Richmond, VA.

At around 1500-1800 miles I contacted SVT and obtained permission to "re-preform" the toothed washer TSB (the TSB only applies to 99-00 L's). I followed the instructions to the letter. This means that I DID wash off all of the frame wax in the area around the bolt holes on the control arm, and I used a torque wrench to tighten the bolt the the specified 140ft/lbs. The end result, NOTHING, the fix did absolutely on my particular vehicle.
I have driven many other 99-01 L's and some have no noise whatsoever from either the control arms nor from the steering stops. But all I know is that I had to purchase Herb's washers, I didn't bother trying to get Ford to pay for them. Ford did however pay for the camber adjusters and the alignment.

My point is that I DID "give the fix a chance" and I know that the TSB was performed properly because I did it myself, and it didn't work for my truck.

I agree with you that everybody should at least give Ford/the dealership an opportunity to fix their problem under warranty, but alot of the jokers on this board would walk on hot coals rather than take their truck to the dealer.

later,
chris

Old 09-26-2001, 11:45 PM
I agree with Chris! Also toke my L in for the fix and tried it for a month or two. Well...sorry to say that my front end was so bad that the tires wore out from the inside and had to call Herb for the washers for express delivery...not to mention my truck went back into the shop for another front-end aliment plus the washers.

Sean

Old 09-27-2001, 12:00 AM
Thumbs up Thanks for the replys.

Well I guess I should give ford a chance and like some have said its free.If it doesnt work then Ill take matters in my own hands..Thanks for the info folks.

Old 09-27-2001, 11:31 AM
superfords

That's cool. I certainly didn't mean to step on your toes. Your first post though was a little broad saying everyone is trying to fix it themselves. I just felt like defending Ford's fix because in my case I let Ford fix it and it works (so far). Of course it won't work for everyone. It has also stopped working after a period of time for some people. I'm just hoping and praying it continues to work in my case.

Old 09-27-2001, 11:51 AM
Re: superfords

Originally posted by 2000Black
That's cool. I certainly didn't mean to step on your toes. Your first post though was a little broad saying everyone is trying to fix it themselves. I just felt like defending Ford's fix because in my case I let Ford fix it and it works (so far). Of course it won't work for everyone. It has also stopped working after a period of time for some people. I'm just hoping and praying it continues to work in my case.
Oh hey no problem, I didn't mean to come off snappy, you didn't step on my toes at all. I'm certainly glad to hear that the Ford fix worked for you and your truck. I just wish it had worked for mine. and you are right, nobody should be having to pay to fix this problem, maybe ford will devise a better fix in the future (like a bolt hole that is not slotted in the first place, duh ford), but alot of people around here (including me) are kindof impatient.

later,
chris

Quick Reply: Another Clunk Question?