Lightning

Question for experienced, knowledgable drag racers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001 | 08:21 PM
|
Question for experienced, knowledgable drag racers...

What does it mean to 'flash the eng. or torque converter'? I've seen it mentioned when talking about launching our Ls but I've never seen an explanation of what is, what it's supposed to do(in helping the launch), how do you do it properly, etc.? All info and help is welcomed for a 'newbie' to drag racin'.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 09-26-2001 | 08:54 PM
A converter has a stall speed and a flash speed. To flash the converter in an L, for example, you'de apply the brakes w/ your left foot and hit the gas w/ your right. Apply just enough gas that the tires don't spin...usually about 1000 rpm in an L. When you remove your foot from the brake the truck will launch hard.

The stall speed in my race car is 5800 rpm, which is where I launch at...although I have a trans brake. A trans brake works via an electric solenoid that locks 1st gear and reverse together, thus applying two opposite forces in the trans. the car won't move, but you can rev the engine to any rpm. Using a 5800 rpm rev limiter for the trans brake, I simply floor the car at the line, and release the button on the steering wheel when the light flashes. The car launches at 5800 rpm's, and 7 seconds later I pull the'chute .

Old 09-27-2001 | 08:20 AM
|
rs:

Thanks....I've been doing exactly as you said without knowing I was 'flashing' the t/c properly....

What a 'rush' those seven seconds must be!!!

Dan

Old 09-27-2001 | 12:17 PM
Cool

I'll bet 4.5 tire shredding, nitro spewing seconds later would be a whole lot more of a "rush"!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Question for experienced, knowledgable drag racers...