Lightning

L or Screw?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 03:27 PM
Ben
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L or Screw?

Hey,

I'm new to the boards and have been just a reader until now. I'm going to get an F150 but am trying to justify to myself which truck(Lightning or XLT Supercrew 4x4) I should get. The practical side is saying, "get the screw". The Lightning would be for purely selfish reasons I need a truck because I find myself needing to haul stuff since starting the house projects and it will be a daily driver.

Any of you L owners who had the 4x4 or the extra cab miss the 4wd or the space?

Old 10-09-2001, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the board.

Now just to let you know, posting this question in the lightning section is going to get 1 answer. Your kinda in L biased territory.

Anyway if you want pure fun, don't need xtra room or a 4x4 get the L. If you need that stuff get the scew.

If you want to look like this all the time get the L.

And to answer your question, the only thing I miss about my old Supercab 4x4 is the 4x4. It was nice to be able to drive over things.

Last edited by captainoblivious; 10-09-2001 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2001, 03:44 PM
You live in NJ, so the snow doesn't last all winter. You must be able to get away with a standard cab because you didn't mention room for 5 kids. Gas mileage is pretty close if you aren't into the boost. Cost is fairly close. I would say get the Lightning. If you have a need for any of the above points get the SuperCrew.

Old 10-09-2001, 04:05 PM
The lightning has more bed space then a screw but the interior is definetly lacking.

the ultimate combo would be to have both

I'm trying to work on my dad to upgrade me from my current work truck to a 03 supercrew when they come out. I love the lightning to death but when it comes time to haul "people" around the screw is definetly allot better.

We have a 01 supercrew in the company and it was mine at first, but our one guy takes allot of client's out and needs more room, so I got his old 97 chevy extra cab. Sad to say, but the chevy is a nice truck too. It drives nice, the interior is plush and it kinda floats on the road. The one thing I hate about a chevy truck the most is the turning radius of it. This truck is the biggest junk when your trying to park it.

I'll probably get flamed, but I really like the looks of the new chevy avalache's. Also they got an nice feature with the bed folding into the cab to allow larger object. There a bit more cash then a supercrew but I also think the interior is allot nicer. Although I have yet to see a new super crew King Ranch in person, There supossed to be real nice. I like the new trailblazer's looks too!. Ford needs to spend a little more time on there designs and come out with some radical and cool. The lightning is the sharpest vehicle they make now. Maybe the cobra's too, but the L's top dog in the ford world now.

Old 10-09-2001, 04:10 PM
I bought a Screw on Feb 6, 2001
Wish I had bought a L on Feb 7, 2001.

I went through the same delima as you. I let the head over rule the heart. The Screw is a great vehicle. It serves its purpose very well and I know if I had the Lightning, there would be times I would miss the Screw. I have a wife and one kid (6 year old) and we could all fit in the L. Now I am just waiting until I have enough equity in the payments where I can sell the Screw and get an L. But YOU must decide what your needs are.

LJ

Last edited by LouScrew; 10-09-2001 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:59 PM
Wink

Had a 2001 screw got it in may of 00 sold it aprill 01 p/u my L on 4/4/01 #1870 red. Its the best!!!! like they say just do it!!
Artie

Old 10-09-2001, 07:43 PM
Talking had the 4x4

I had a 97 4x4 before I bought my Lightning. I miss it when I encounter the occasional icy road (not often given my location in south texas) and when I hit the beach (also not often, since I've replaced the beach with the track).

The thing is, I get this big stupid grin on my face every time I start the Lightning up. Its truly the gift that keeps on giving ...

Old 10-09-2001, 07:53 PM
I had a 2001 screw and really liked it, until I started reading about the L. I traded in my screw in June and have not looked back yet. I sometimes miss the room, but the L is just a great fun vehicle to own and drive. I will miss the 4x4 this winter, but I have an old cherokee to do the snow duty.

I would buy the L.

Paul

Old 10-09-2001, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck next to my wife's truck (next to my CJ). It's not a supercrew, but I bought it for her. Would it be OK to say I'm superscrewing her?

BTW, when priced out the f150 supercrew vs the 250SD, the 250SD is the better deal. Check the numbers - you may be surprised.

Spike

Old 10-09-2001, 09:17 PM
Boy was I confused. I thought this was a pole to see what we liked more...our L's, or screwing! I love my L but I was going to have to vote for screwing.

Old 10-09-2001, 10:46 PM
Oh here we go!

Let the fun begin

Old 10-10-2001, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy one of each......

Marc

Old 10-10-2001, 09:55 AM
I got rid of a fully loaded 2000 Suburban LT that I had for 10 months, in order to get the L. Don't regret it for a second. No kids, so I didn't exactly need a 8 passenger truck anyway. I don't miss it at all. That being said, we haven't had any snow yet . the almost $250 per month I save on payments went towards a nice winter beater, that I use like a pickup anyway. There's no substitute for watching people stop dead in their tracks to point at it. Never got that from the old 'Burb. I agree with Nathan, can't wipe that stupid grin off my face every time I fire it up and go out 'hunting'. Your grin will look much like this: If you buy the Screw (nice truck too, but different purpose) you will always be filled with doubt for what might have been. Decisions, decisions decisions...

Old 10-10-2001, 09:57 AM
Ben
Thanks for all the replys. Great bunch of peeps...great board.

The majority of time I'm alone in my car and I have 1 kid so the extra cab space isn't an issue. I think in the long run I'll be happier with the L (I'm coming out of an 98 M3). I too like screwing but when I'm not, I still want to have fun

I'll be heading down to the dealer tonight to pick out either a white or silver L

Old 10-10-2001, 10:00 AM
Another convert. I think the L is the best Canadian export going right now! Now if it only came with a bedload of Labatt's and some Tim Horton's you guys would have the best Canada has to offer all in one package!

Quick Reply: L or Screw?