Lightning

et streets

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
et streets

did the search,completely confused now.What is the final word on et streets for the 1/4 mile?rim size,tubes,no tubes,air pressure.Any help appreciated

Old 10-10-2001, 03:26 PM
I use 26x11.5x16 at 18-20psi.

Old 10-10-2001, 03:32 PM
I think most are using the 26x11.5x16 without tubes. Most run 15-18 psi's and from what I've seen it's about 50/50 on the wheel size, 16x10 or 16x8 .

Old 10-10-2001, 03:49 PM
thanks,any problems getting squirrelly on the big end?Also,what is a fair price to pay for the 26-11.50-16's?

Old 10-10-2001, 03:53 PM
When you say "big end", are you talking about the end of the 1/4 mile?? If so, I haven't seen any difference in going down the strip with the e/ts than going down the strip with the F-1s.

E/Ts can cost you around $150 a piece and don't forget those light weight rims at another $150 a piece.

Old 10-10-2001, 03:58 PM
What 2fast4u plus, 16psi 'hot'(just prior to your run), no tubes, and ARE Baja 16x10" wheels(about? 1/3-1/2 the wt. of the stock wheel).

Dan

Old 10-10-2001, 04:10 PM
2FAST,exactly that.I read during my search that some said truck got very unstable at the end of their runs.Found tires for about 145.00plus tax and wanted to make sure i knew what I was getting into.The track I go to runs at nite,but is lit for kaka.I have made 5 runs with a best of 13.73,completely stock with 1200 miles on truck.Thanks again for the help

Old 10-10-2001, 04:11 PM
Mine get a bt "loose "at the end of the 1/4 mile at lower air pressures. I leave the pressure at 17-18 and check it everytime in the staging lanes cause it typically goes up thru the day.

Doug

Old 10-10-2001, 04:25 PM
I saw some 305x45x18 Nittos drag radials on caspers truck at NMRA. They may get you better trap speeds and hook up better without buying new wheels.

Old 10-10-2001, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by easterisland
I saw some 305x45x18 Nittos drag radials on caspers truck at NMRA. They may get you better trap speeds and hook up better without buying new wheels.
I had my local dealer call up NITTO while I was standing there, and he was told that the 305-45R18 drag radials wouldn't be available to the public until the end of the year. I saw them advertised in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford Magazine as being available, checked everywhere around Detroit for a set, but to no avail. Someone posted a reply to a previous post by me that said a racing shop in Jackson Michigan had a set of them on their Lightning and that they would be at Milan Dragway testing them out. Well, needless to say, I was there, and I was the only Lightning there that night. Soooooo, go figure.............Phatford

Old 10-10-2001, 10:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Slicks will always be a little looser on the big end, the 16" wheel with a 26" slick will not be that bad though,

a 15" would be even more squirrly but would hook even better,

i was very nervous when i started running slicks on my cobra, but you get used to it

133 going side to side is kind of a rush, lol

Old 10-11-2001, 10:38 AM
Ok guys the reason for the loose feeling is because you are running bias ply on the rear and radial tire on the front. This is the feeling that is produced from this. Rim size and tire size does not create more instability just more rollout and increased side wall for more wrinkle wall. I drive on the street with ET streets all the time at 20 psi. Never feel much instability. Never know when a vette wants to try it out if you know what i mean.

Old 10-11-2001, 10:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok guys the reason for the loose feeling is because you are running bias ply on the rear and radial tire on the front. This is the feeling that is produced from this. Rim size and tire size does not create more instability just more rollout and increased side wall for more wrinkle wall. I drive on the street with ET streets all the time at 20 psi. Never feel much instability. Never know when a vette wants to try it out if you know what i mean.
I really think you are mistake here, the front to rear tire difference doesn't have anything to do with it, and rim size will definately make a difference.

If rim size didn't make a difference, why do you think everyone wants a 15" rim that is not available for these, the answer is sidewall, a 16" rim with a 26" height is never going to hook as good as 1)a 15" rim with a 26" height and definately not more than a 15" rim with a 28" tire.

An ex. would be that when I switched from running a 26" tire to a 28" on my cobra, 1) i noticed even more swish up top and 2) the car hooked even better.

the sidewall is so mushy on these tires that it is not as stable as a more low profile tire with a tougher sidewall

the other reason you are not noticing it as much as air pressure, you are running 20psi, the lower you go the more you swish.

i set my cobra at 9.5 to 10 psi before each run, thats why you see that awesome wrinkle in the side this pic is with only a 26' tire

not flaming or anything, please don't take my post wrong, just trying to give out proper info

Old 10-11-2001, 11:59 AM
Dude first let me start by saying that i said rim size does not make a difference and that is true. Everyone want a 15 rim cause they dont offer a good tire selection in the 16 inch rim size. Dont you think that if they made a 30 x 10.5w x 16 tire that would hook up or do you think that 1 inch in rim size is going to make a big difference. You obviously have no clue about bias ply tires and radial tires. I have raced for years so let me school you just a little. First of all you are crazy running that little pressure in a small tire like the one you have. 9.5 - 10 psi of course it is going to wrinkle it is almost flat as it is. That is the biggest reason you are feeling loose in the top end and probably at mid track as well. Inflate those to around 12psi and that will help. If you have any doubts about the radial tire bias ply feel call MT and they will school you as well. Or even call your lightning tuner. This is common knowledge. As the picture shows you are running radials in the front, RIGHT? Try changing them and see what happens. Dont try to discredit me if you have not even tried a bias ply rear tire and a bias ply front tire. Why do you think that everyone that races seriously runs a front tire like GOODYEAR BIAS PLY.

Old 10-11-2001, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by RACJAS330
You drive "all the time with ET Streets on"??? With sudden thundershowers most afternoons in Miami? You have very large juevos or you are crazy. They will end up killing you as your L hydroplanes along Coral Way or Le June Rd.

Dan

Quick Reply: et streets