Lightning

Breather cap installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001 | 12:33 AM
|
Question Breather cap installation

I've read where some people have had there chip reburned when installing a breather cap. Is a reburn required? A $100+- reburn sure seems like a lot to be able to use a $30 part. And, are there any performance gains from installing one?

Last edited by ASVTFordBoy; 10-11-2001 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-11-2001 | 07:22 AM
Disclaimer - "As I understand it..."

As I understand it, they're basically to help stop the oil blow-back into the throttle body. I picked one up from METCO at FFW in Ennis last weekend and the guy there was saying that if you remove the bypass tube that runs to the underside of the MAF boot and plug up those holes, there shouldn't be a need for a chip re-burn.

If anybody can verify or correct what I'm saying, please do. I'd also like to avoid the $100 chip reburn. (No, I'm not mistaken, it's $100 to reburn my chip.)

Old 10-11-2001 | 07:30 AM
I cant verify that. But I do know that a chip reburn does not make sence for a breather cap. This has been covered here plenty of times. Some have done it,but most question it.
I personally feel it does nothing, but add more money to a simple product. To cut back on the oil in the intake, I simply run a 1/2 qt. less or oil. Hope this helps

This is only my opinion, not an invitiation for "clown police". lol

Old 10-11-2001 | 07:54 AM
I don't know if this will help your cause, but my truck is the "weird" truck when it comes to anything computer wise. I was told the breather cap would cause a "light" and I drove around for three days with no "light", and I also drove aroung a month with the boose solinoid disconnected with no "light".

I would say that it will not hurt ya, but who am I!!!!

I think you will be ok!!!

Old 10-11-2001 | 08:57 AM
Who the HELL pays $100 for a REBURN!??!? Not me, that's for sure.

Old 10-11-2001 | 09:32 AM
Originally posted by CornerCarver
Who the HELL pays $100 for a REBURN!??!? Not me, that's for sure.
Exactly !!

Old 10-11-2001 | 10:00 AM
$100 for a reburn is pricey.

I got my breather cap when I got my chip. Maybe one day I will run the breather w/out the chip and see if it affects anything.

Old 10-11-2001 | 11:19 AM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
I'm with Madhouse

Rather than having yet another option added to in my chips, I opted to spend $20 for a filter, plugs, endcap, and a couple other parts in order to eliminate the oil 'straw' from the driver's side.

Ran it both with and without a chip. no lights and NO MORE residue in the TB.

images of the kit in the gallery link below.

obtw, $100 for a reburn?.... there's your answer.

Old 10-11-2001 | 01:23 PM
DL
Hey CornerCarver,

How can you reburn your chip, You have that NO NAME CHIP you got out of your Sony Playstation II installed in you L.. LOL

Old 10-11-2001 | 02:28 PM
Yeah, my truck thinks it came out of GT III with 700hp!

Old 10-11-2001 | 02:35 PM
Wait a minute......hmmmmm, I know what kind of chip---I can almost see it......ummmm--buffalo? no, no----IBM....wait, wait, that's close.

Old 10-11-2001 | 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Spiro99SVT
I cant verify that. But I do know that a chip reburn does not make sence for a breather cap. This has been covered here plenty of times. Some have done it,but most question it.
I personally feel it does nothing, but add more money to a simple product. To cut back on the oil in the intake, I simply run a 1/2 qt. less or oil. Hope this helps

This is only my opinion, not an invitiation for "clown police". lol
Hey Spiro, I have the filter and I also keep the oil level down and I am still getting oil in the T/B. any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 10-11-2001 | 03:02 PM
Some will claim a slight HP increase. I dynoed with it on and with it off and I was within a few tenths each time. It looks cool and I have never lubricated my intake tract.

Old 10-11-2001 | 05:12 PM
I would say no, you don't need a reburn. I have a 2000 L and I drove around for about three weeks, down here in the hot Florida sun, w/ the 90mm MAF/filter kit, and JL 3lb pulley with NO chip and the truck didn't detonate once, not even on the dyno.

Of course, I have the chip now but no tread on my back tires

Old 10-11-2001 | 08:05 PM
Angry

You do not need a chip reburn for a breather cap!! The Mass Air meter is the only sensor that calculates the air going into the engine. The only BIG reason why car makers re-circulate crank case fumes is, Emissions!

They can't emit fumes into the atmosphere Per Goverment regulations,Laws. The trucks run in closed loop at idle and part throttle anyway!. That crap of running lean doesn't happen at full throttle.

In other words, (Closed Loop) the PCM gets feedback from the sensors and makes adjusments at idle and part throttle. At (Open Loop), the PCM see's the driver has the pedal to the floor, switches to a pre-programed set of tables in the calibration to run full throttle.

If you did run a little lean at idle and it's not enough to set a mil light, then why do you need a chip?. The 02 sensors would see the engine runing lean and make the corrections or throw a mil light.

I hate to see people pay for something they didn't need. If someone insit's you need one tell them, "Show me the data." Have them show you on paper, or collect data yourself.

Just install a new set of plugs for each test. Run the first test with the breather and chip and second, with the breather only. Run the truck for 500 miles, each test. Pull them. You will be able to correlate the results. Then take pic's and post here.

Or, if someone who has been running with a breather and no chip can pull a plug and post the picture. That would end the "re-flash for a breather" crap.

No chip needed for a breather cap!

Last edited by Thor01; 10-11-2001 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Breather cap installation