Lightning

Check Your Plugs!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001 | 12:02 PM
|
Exclamation Check Your Plugs!!

About a week ago, I noticed a slight ticking sound on the drivers side of my engine when I got into the throttle a little. After a couple days it started to get worse and worse. It sounded like another exhaust leak just like what it sounded like right before my plug blew out on the passenger side. When they replaced the head, they put all new plugs so im pretty sure they were tourqed right. As the noise got louder and louder, I decided to bring the truck back to get the plugs retourqed. Of course the mechanic didnt believe me so I had to take him for a test ride to prove it to him. After a little debate with the service people and the mechanic, I finally got them to retourqe the plugs. AND WHAT DO YA KNOW!! #7 plug, second from the back on the drivers side, was finger tight and was getting ready to pop out just like the last one. From now on, I will be listening close for any ticking noises my engine makes and I suggest you guys do to. I dont want to have my truck in the shop for three weeks again for a head replacement.This is just FYI. I dont want this to happen to any of you because it can be prevented by having a good ear. Also, it only took this plug about four weeks to work its way loose.

Nick

Old 10-12-2001 | 12:06 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Arrow **note**

How about changing the plugs yourself?

Old 10-12-2001 | 12:11 PM
|
Not as easy as it sounds. Changing these plugs can be a hassle. Might as well put my warranty to work, after all, thats what its there for.

Old 10-12-2001 | 12:28 PM
HUM! Don't want to say I told you so, but I have been preaching, (I like that word) Preaching this since August of 1999 to all new Lightning owner's. They are and will come loose. Not only that but they are gapped wrong in 95% of the cases. Do your self a favor, pull'em, check'em, and reinstall'em for your own peace of mind. Besides, you need to know how to do it anyway.
Later

Old 10-12-2001 | 12:42 PM
Smile It happened to me

About a week after I installed my NGK's I heard this, I also installed my Bassani at the same time and figured it was an exhaust leak, but after some time rechecking all the bolts and fitment of the exhaust I realized this wasn't my problem. My two rear spark plugs on the drivers side had loosened themselves, no damage after I retourqed them, but I say just go back and check them every once in a while especially if you have aftermarket plugs and drive it like it should be. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2001 | 12:43 PM
I pulled checked and installed NGK's and they still came loose after 7K miles. I guess I'll check every few thousand to make sure, once I get the truck back from Ford.

Old 10-12-2001 | 02:34 PM
What torque should they be tightend to.?

Old 10-12-2001 | 05:45 PM
Do you have to remove the coil packs to see this?

Andy

Quick Reply: Check Your Plugs!!