Lightning

Paging Spike or Azheem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001 | 04:24 PM
|
Paging Spike or Azheem

Hey guys, I'm wanting to change to a different brake pad and possibly a different brake fluid. I'm going to Thunderhill on the 16th of Nov. and am wondering what you guys have done to rid the L of it's fade.

George, What was the contact info for those drilled rotors? I'd email ya, but my emails down at current.

In advance: Thanks

Berto

Old 10-18-2001 | 07:33 PM
|
Forgot to add: Or anyone else that can be of help here...

Thanks

Old 10-18-2001 | 11:18 PM
See http://nloc.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001717.html for pads. Also, Hawk was working on a pad used specifically for heavy duty trucks and would be a good pad for Lightnings. I wasn't able to get a set for the last track event, but they might be available now. Who knows, maybe you could test them first on the track. If you can't get them in time, you could use the stock pads or Performance Friction pads from AutoZone. They have them in stock at the Concord store. Be careful though with the PF pads. They tend to crystallize if you get them too hot.

Use DOT 4 fluid. If you want to completely flush the system, after the fluid is replaced, take the truck to a large empty parking lot or any remote area and brake hard enough to kick in the anti-lock. Do this once or twice. Then flush the fluid again. Just to be safe, I replaced the fluid after the track day with the stock Ford HD.

I'll contact Stan since your email is down.

What are your plans this weekend. Maybe we could meet at Starbucks or if you're into dog shows, we could blast down 680 to the Del Valle show at Pleasanton Fairgrounds. I'll give you a printout of a track description with the one of the lines to run. I could also give you a CD with a few videos of the line I ran.

Spike

Old 10-19-2001 | 12:05 AM
avoid PF

Couple of comments. I've used the PF extensively but stopped because they were getting too hot and destroying rotors (3 sets in about 9 months with moderate/heavy track use)

As for brake fluid, Motul 600 is the best if you can find it. I was boiling off the Ford HD fluid, but the motul has held up quite well. i found mine at a local kawasaki dealer.

Old 10-19-2001 | 12:53 AM
Re: avoid PF

Originally posted by Nathan
Couple of comments. I've used the PF extensively but stopped because they were getting too hot and destroying rotors (3 sets in about 9 months with moderate/heavy track use)...
Saw it happen to Jeff S at Buttonwillow. He ran the fastest laps until the pads failed, rotors were eaten, and the tranny puked some fluid.

The following info I got from Azeem:

I'm staying away from silicon based fluid (DOT 5/6)... there's enough stuff on the L that can break... and I dont want it to be the brake system.

DOT SPECS - Boiling temps (deg F):
Dry / Wet DOT 3: 401 / 284
Dry / Wet DOT 4: 446 / 311
Dry / Wet DOT 5: 500 / 356

Specs for popular brake fluid (DRY/WET):
Castrol LMA DOT 3/4: 446 / 311 (cheap)
Ford Heavy Duty DOT 3: 550 / 290 (very cheap)
ATE Super Blue Racing: 536 / 392
Motul Racing 600 DOT 4: 585 / 421 (expensive)
Castrol SRF DOT 6: 590 / 518 (insane)
Performance Friction DOT 3: 550 / 284

I'm using Ford HD in the L, and Motul 600 in my track car.
Here's a link with some other info:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=29459

Spike

Old 10-19-2001 | 02:57 AM
What they said

Frey Racing in Milpitas has decent prices on Motul 600.

Quick Reply: Paging Spike or Azheem