Lightning

Blower/Underdrive Pulley... Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blower/Underdrive Pulley... Alternator

I'm very familiar with pulling blower pullies as my GTP has an Eaton M90. I suspect I could Pull the one off the M112 very easily.

Why would I not do that and instead install an underdrive pulley. Wouldn't changing the underdrive pulley cause waterpump/alternator mishaps? I read about the "power/amp" package, but haven't seen anything on Gen II.

Old 10-19-2001, 09:58 AM
THe blower has a separate belt .... No blower pulley change will affect other accessories drive..

Doug

Old 10-19-2001, 10:11 AM
I know the blower has a seperate belt. The accessory question is related to underdrive pulley. Kind of a multi question.

Old 10-19-2001, 10:18 AM
Havent seen many people using under drive pullies

Doug

Old 10-19-2001, 10:21 AM
Really? I thought this was what people did? I was under the assumption that the lightning crowd perfered crank pullies (maybe my 'underdrive word is the confusion), to blower pullies?

Old 10-19-2001, 10:26 AM
Ok

Start again. There are 2 separate belts. One for Blower one for everything else.

I have not heard of anyone changing any accessory pullies. ( the pullies for everything else )

MANY people have used either UPPER or Lower Blower pullies of different sizes. Some have changed both.
When changing the upper for a smaller pulley or the lower for a larger pulley in BOTH cases the blower spins faster so in your terms they would be OVER drive pullies.

The lower blower pulley is attached to the crank. It does NOT affect the accessories.

Does this help ?

Doug

Last edited by Silver_2000; 10-19-2001 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2001, 10:31 AM
AHHHHH, there's the information I needed. The lower pulley is not the crank, but attached to the crank. On my GTP you'd have to change the crank to change the lower pulley for the blower, which would affect all accessories. Ford's RULE! Can't wait to get back into one. Used to own an SHO.

Does anybody out there use the DUB from southfloridapulleyhq.com? I had one for my GTP. Very nice.

Old 10-19-2001, 11:35 AM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!
Havent seen many people using under drive pullies

Doug
Doug, this is something to check into, though. I know many has said this time and time again, but geez, underdrives free up about 10 rwhp on Mustangs.

Whadaya think?

BfB

Old 10-19-2001, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This question was asked not long ago. You can't use an underdrive set for the accy belt. The reason for this is becuase you would have to change the factory balancer/crank pulley and if you did that, you couldn't attach the blower pulley back onto it, stock or aftermarket.

Old 10-19-2001, 01:09 PM
BfB
Originally posted by LightningTuner
This question was asked not long ago. You can't use an underdrive set for the accy belt. The reason for this is becuase you would have to change the factory balancer/crank pulley and if you did that, you couldn't attach the blower pulley back onto it, stock or aftermarket.
Sal, or anyone, then is there a reason why it can't be designed to accept a blower pulley?

Thanks!

BfB

Old 10-19-2001, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BfB, the reason is because in order to have effective underdrive, you'd need a smaller crank pulley setup. And if you made it smaller, the blower crank pulley isn't going to fit onto it. Also, when you get an underdrive set for a 4.6/5.4, the new crank pulley is also a new balancer, and I don't see anyone spending the money to make something special for the Lightning because of the low production numbers.

Old 10-19-2001, 06:20 PM
I have something in development on under drive pulleys. The Lightning engines are internally balanced. I got the go ahead from my contacts at SVT. The stock crank pulley is a dampner. It is not for counter balance.

Same for the Cobra. You can get under drive pulley's for them. I have the water pump pulley and alternator done. I just got the measurements of Johnny's 4# pulley. Can you say one piece DUAL, CRANK PULLEY!! I'm not going to dispute the crank pulley balance with people. Some will disagree. Look at it. It is a dampner for NVH. I will post pic's when done.

Last edited by Thor01; 10-19-2001 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2001, 07:00 PM
BfB
Originally posted by Thor01
I'm not going to dispute the crank pulley balance with people. Some will disagree. Look at it. It is a dampner for NVH. I will post pic's when done.
I've always heard the EXACT same thing, esp. on the Cobras.

BfB

Quick Reply: Blower/Underdrive Pulley... Alternator