Lightning

G-Tech vs. Time Slip

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001 | 10:48 AM
|
Lightbulb G-Tech vs. Time Slip

Meant to post this earlier this week...

Went to Gateway on Wednesday, and met up with a couple of members from the board (awhittle and Road Rash) - couple of good 'ol midwestern boys (I'm a Jersey boy, born and raised).

Awhittle had his G-Tech with him, and we decided to run it with my last run for the night. Got it all squared away in the cup holder pop-out, ready to "GO" at the line after my burnout. I turned a 12.75 @ 107.5 per the track's time slip, checked to see what the G-Tech said: 13.06 @ 109.5... Not too bad for an accelerometer! It appears to run about 3 tenths slow and ~2mph fast. But a great way if you dont have a track nearby, and want to make comparisons.

I didn't get the rest of the readings from it... awhittle? Dunno if it gave any other times (0-60, etc)... we took it out after the run, parked the truck and watched the last of the races for the night.

Thanks Road Rash and awhittle for the props I DIDN'T get from the track announcer

Old 10-20-2001 | 02:17 PM
My g-tech is less than 1 tenth off when i took mine to the track a couple of times,the key is you must press it against the windshield the entire pass for accurate results and make sure it is as close to zero as possible before you start.If you rely only on the suction cups to hold in place it will not be as accurate.

Matt

Old 10-20-2001 | 04:27 PM
Thumbs up

MAX

Thanks for your help at the track. As a newbie ya showed me alot. That silver 01 of yours is lookin good and runnin strong. Next time I'm gonna try and get in that right lane

Mike

Old 10-20-2001 | 06:51 PM
|
Matt (HighRoller) -

We had the G-tech velcro'd to a metal plate awhittle made, and then it was duct-taped to the pop-out cup holder area... I dunno about zero-ing it out, it just read "GO," so I did heh.

Road Rash - Yea, that right lane was pretty sticky. Hope ya had fun, I sure did... Just so ya know, the last run I made, I was sure to line myself up in the tracks the guy with slicks ran in front of me - to be sure I had some extra rubber/heat under the F1's It sure helped out since I turned my best 60' of 1.86.

GOD these trucks are amazing!

Old 10-20-2001 | 07:31 PM
My G-tech has been showing 12.6 to 12.8 and I know my 4700 pickup could NEVER be that fast

Old 10-20-2001 | 07:32 PM
Unhappy

Great times!!

Geez, I was just remembering how most people reamed FD for using his G-Tech. Everyone swore up and down that his truck would be slower than his G-Tech at the track. You just proved everyone wrong as far as the ET end goes.

I bought one and it sits in its box, new in my shop. I was afraid to use it after the FD incident.

Keep up the good work!

-----------------------
Rick

Old 10-20-2001 | 10:40 PM
The biggest issue with FD was he tried to make people believe Gtech times were track times...

This thread actually goes a long way to proving the point that the FD threads were trying to make. That is that THe GTECH can be VERY dependant on calibration positioning and the phase of the moon. It may be off high or low... But Sounds like if you know what you are doing RE: calibration and mounting and your expectations are reasonable in the right hands it can be used for decent comparisons. Doug

Old 10-21-2001 | 04:40 AM
|
Well said...

I think if you dont have a track nearby, and want to make COMPARISONS between different setups, then the G-Tech is the way to go....just be sure, as Silver2000 said, that you get your calibrations just right each time with it. There's A LOT of room for error.

It was fun seeing the difference between the track times and the G-Tech. Hope the thread was informative... results may vary

Old 10-21-2001 | 05:57 AM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
Re: G-Tech vs. Time Slip

Originally posted by MaxPower
It appears to run about 3 tenths slow and ~2mph fast.
It's normally only about 1 tenth as earlier mentioned, but as for the mph being faster that's a given. See, a track measures the last 60 feet (I think it's 60...someone correct me if I'm off, it's late) and then takes an average to come up with your mph. The G-Tech is more like what C&D and MT and other car rags use to measure mph.

Truth be known, your local tracks mph is not your true mph. The G-Techs mph is as close as you'll get (so long as it's calibrated right).

BfB

Old 10-21-2001 | 10:47 AM
|
I know about the mph average at the end of the 1/4 at your local drag... Too bad we all don't have a 5th wheel to get the REAL mph at the end Most of us go by times at our local strip or the G-Tech.

Maybe if I get another go at the track w/ a G-Tech, I'll try some more calibration to see what I get. I did like seeing 109mph on the G-Tech, though

Old 10-21-2001 | 04:11 PM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
I'm curious, I wonder if all these programs on the net to help calculate theoretical et/mph take into account the 60 ft average?

Things that make you go hmmmm...

BfB

Old 10-21-2001 | 07:52 PM
|
Anyone ever try to calculate their 0-60 from 1/8 mile times?

I did and ended up with a 3.98s 0-60 time... and it didnt take into factor the 60' time... there's gotta be a better formula. Just another thing that makes you go hmmmm... eh, BfB?

Quick Reply: G-Tech vs. Time Slip