Lightning

pinion snubber

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001 | 05:30 PM
|
pinion snubber

Has anyone tried or thought about using a pinion snubber instead of the traction bars and such. I've been studying the under side of the truck and it looks like an easy mod and should pay off. What do ya think?

Old 10-20-2001 | 05:50 PM
Hooters,

You could do that. And it would work. But another advantage of traction bars (PSP or JDM) is it keeps the rear end straight as things will want to try to move.

Old 10-20-2001 | 06:49 PM
Wink

I made a pinion snubber that adjusts every half inch and it worked pretty good on the street and would make the a** end squat and grab the pavement . At the track it did not seem to help much and i took it off for warranty work and i am to lazy to put it back on.I have a tourqe converter and don't do much street racing.Besides it is a pain to bolt up and even more of a pain on the initial installation.

Old 10-21-2001 | 02:32 PM
A pinion snubber should work on our trucks. The only problem is that it doesn't provide much leverage.

A traction bar will produce more front end lift due to its length. In the process. it transfers weight to the rear tires.

Check out my website if you want a better explanation. I build a "slapper" type of traction bar that works on the same principal, only uses the spring as its contact point. It does, however produce a significant amount of weight transfer over a pinion snubber

Old 10-21-2001 | 02:50 PM
|
Thanks Jay, Your site has alot of good info on it, your traction bars look nice on the truck as well. Do you notice a change in the ride for everyday driving. My last truck I installed some traction bars and the U bolts that connect the bars seem to make the truck bounce when going over small bumps because of the way they clamp the springs down. This was the main reason I started looking at a snubber. If you guys arn't see a difference in the ride than the Truck-traks are definetly the way to go. Thanks again

Old 10-21-2001 | 03:07 PM
USA:

I put Jay's slapper bars on my 01 a couple of weeks ago. I drive her daily, 70-80 miles ea. work day. I just tried them out at my 1/4 mile track Fri. nite and with 58 degree temp. and a good burnout, I finally ran my first 12--12.882@106.18(1.882-60').

You can't even tell they're on while driving 'normally'(and I havn't 'street raced' them yet?)--no noise, no noticable jumpiness, etc. As to drag racin'; I might have run a 12 without--D/K--58 degrees makes a lot of difference in e.t., but they helped, I'm sure. I can tell they were 'working' because the rubber snubber wiped the road grime off the bottom of the spring where it touches under high torque loading.

Good suspension mod!

Dan

Old 10-21-2001 | 03:51 PM
|
Thanks LR 12.8 thats FAST.

Old 10-21-2001 | 05:54 PM
USA,

you might notice a little bounciness with the Truck-Traks. The main issue the snubber to spring clearance. If it is too small, the snubber will keep hitting the spring over mild to moderate bumps.

If it bothers you, a shorter snubber can be installed for street driving, then a longer one for racing.

I run my clearance at 1 1/4", and in normal driving, the snubber and spring rarely hit. As soon as I hit the accelerator, they contact, and stay that way up until 80 MPH +.

I built a test device that allows me to monitor the contact between the snubber and spring, and that was the result of my tests.

When I ran it at the Irwindale 1/8 strip, they were in contact until I shut down.

Quick Reply: pinion snubber