Lightning

Loud rock sounds from engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001 | 04:53 AM
|
Loud rock sounds from engine

I noticed today while driving on the freeway. It sounded like rock flicking around in my engine, it doesnt sound like a ping, more of a marble in a can type of sound. I have no idea where it was comming from but I know it shouldnt be there. It only happens under WOT past 85-90. Under that or during deceleration it doesnt occur. This is the first time i've ever heard it at all. Has anyone ever heard this before? Its kind of weird cause you only hear it every now and then its quite an odd sound. Can anyone tell me what this is or how to fix it?

-Sam

p.s tell me if it could be my mods I have listed below.

Old 10-21-2001 | 05:58 AM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
Sounds like detonation. May or may not be. Take the chip out and then try it. Make sure you have a good tank of gas as well.

How long has this been happening now?

BfB

Old 10-21-2001 | 06:27 AM
|
well I havent been on the freeway for awhile and just really noticed it today. And if it is detonation problems wouldnt that show up throughout the power band?
-Sam

Old 10-21-2001 | 08:52 AM
I've had the same noise since I put the lower pully on but only at idle that I know of. Haven't heard it at higher speeds but with traffic as it is don,t run that speed much. Will try it though.
Steve

Old 10-21-2001 | 09:11 AM
Sounds like detonation

Trouble is it can be only in part pf the Chip program and it is barley audible so often the blower drowns it out

Easy tests

1) Buy can of 104 octane boost and add it to 1/2 tank of gas - If the sound goes away it is detonation. Make sure you are buying good gas... Some sucks... It is tough to tell which is Gas vendor better....

2) Pull chip - If the sound goes away it is likely detonation

JL can retune your chip to get rid of it

Doug

Last edited by Silver_2000; 10-21-2001 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-21-2001 | 01:19 PM
Exclamation

Sam, throw in a can of NOS octane booster, or a few gallons of 76 race gas, then give it a try. If it stops, then you have detonation .

You need to reduce the timing a little in that range. You could just have bad tank of gas. That happens around here when they forget and put midgrade in the Premium tanks.

Old 10-21-2001 | 02:12 PM
Exclamation

Sam,

That's exactly the area where detonation would show up at WOT.
Forget the octane booster and pull the chip. If it goes away then the chip needs to reburned. JL will know from your mods which way to go whether it needs more fuel or less timing. It could need both. He should be able to fix you up.

Old 10-22-2001 | 02:39 AM
|
Red face thanks guys

I just hope there wasnt any permanent damage done to my ride by the chip being offset for so long. I rarely drive above 80 on the sub-streets and those are mainly what I travel, that was actually the first time i've ever heard that. I'm gonna send my chip back into JL first thing Monday

p.s does anyone think there was any damage done to the engine itself?

-Sam

Old 10-22-2001 | 07:31 AM
Mine was pinging llike that for quite a while. I took the chip out and I haven't heard it ping since. Unless you let it go on for a long time, I doubt you'll have any engine trouble due to it.

Old 10-22-2001 | 10:42 PM
Lightbulb

I would check the plugs just in case. More than likely they are ok but there is the outside chance one or more could be damaged. Catching it early and not letting it go on probably means they are fine.

Old 10-22-2001 | 11:46 PM
Since you have the 3# pulley on i would suggest puting in a few gallons of 104 octane fuel to a 1/4 tank of gas and see if it goes away.. if it does then get it back to me and we'll fix ya up. Also we all should remember the colder it gets outside the more our trucks will lean out. so with the winter months aproaching i would recomend everyone to keep an ear out for detonation. i believe once the air temps get below 50 * then we need to be listening for any detonation..this dosn't mean Everyone will experience detonation but i'm sure their will be some.. JL

Quick Reply: Loud rock sounds from engine