Lightning

Best day ever with my Lightning!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Best day ever with my Lightning!!

Sat. at Texas Motor Speedway, SVTOA on track event. What a blast. Met some great people. Got to put some faces with some names from this board. We got to do auto-x, slalom, and road course. Then we even got to run four laps on the high bank oval. Those Nascar guy's aint *****! I went through turns three and four at 115 mph in the L and it felt like 50 mph (course there was only 8 or 10 of us at a time... not 42)! The driving instructors were great and I learned a great deal. On the road course, (in my group) I passed every car in the one session where passing was ok. The Lightnings won every timed event! It sure would have been fun if they would have put the L's all in one group. I'm sure I would have been the fastest of all the L's on the road course but Doug and Nathan cheated and used auto-x tires, and they were not in my group anyway! LOL The whole day including lunch was just $50.00 Go to WWW.SVTLIGHTNINGS.COM to see the pics. Thanks Doug for letting me know about this.

The only bad part of the day was when we got to the road course and the instructors told us to get in this 11 passenger van. One of the Cobra owners ask the instructor if he had ever turned over one of these vans. I wondered why he asked that. We got in the van and went around the track and he told us what to do and when to do it. Then instead of comming into the pits...he floored it down the front straight. I have NEVER been so sure I was going to die in my life!:eek Those guy's are very good. After we finished I let him take me around the road course in my L just to see how much faster he could go than I could. He was so smooth it did not feel all that fast...but he got my brakes very hot! Blue spots on the rotors. He said "you guy's spend all this money to make your trucks fast, and nothing to make them handle or stop better. Oh well I guess its time for slotted rotors. Sorry for the long post but it was just such a great day I wanted to tell everyone about it so if you ever get a chance to make one of these events you would not miss it! Later

Jerry

Old 10-22-2001, 10:07 PM
NOSTROMO
That sounds awesome.....i wish our SVTOA club would do something like that. To be honest, I havent heard anything from them in a long while

Anthony

Old 10-22-2001, 10:08 PM
Sounds like a great time.

Wish we could go to the Vegas On Track event, but $200 per driver was more than we could swing at this time (this is for 1 day).

Wonder why it was so much cheaper out there? At the price you paid, we would have happily gone. No wonder they were saying that they were having a hard time getting people to go here.

Old 10-22-2001, 10:10 PM
I have Trouble deciding which I enjoyed more Meeting folks like Jerry or Kicking Cobra Butt

I had a great time

Doug

Old 10-22-2001, 10:12 PM
When I went to Bob Bondaurant's school, they did the same thing. It's just scary! They are so good, they can get those vans full of people around the road course almost as fast as us in the Mustang GT's.

Old 10-22-2001, 10:16 PM
Arrestme, I would have been glad to pay $100.00 to $150.00 for this event. I was thinking on the way home that someone lost their *** on the deal and I would hate to have that cause them to not come back. Think about where you can go drive as fast as you want on four different tracks, get professional drivers input and a great meal for $100.00?

Jerry

Old 10-22-2001, 11:54 PM
NOSTROMO - we had some SVTOA thing planned for up north, forgot where. But it got cancelled. I wish they would set up one of those SVOA road course up @ the Poconos road course

Old 10-23-2001, 09:12 AM
Thumbs up

The Cincinnati Region SVTOA......is having a similar event......Nov., 9 - 11, 2001 at Indianapolis Raceway Park. This includes Friday night 1/4 mile t&t, Saturday AutoX & roadcourse & chassis dyno & more 1/4 mile t&t. Sunday more autoX and roadcourse......all for $120.00 pre-register. Sounds like a real blast!

Speedin Bob......U goin?

Frank

Old 10-23-2001, 10:04 AM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
OMG!!!

'Acious

This is a must-do event! You have mail.

Silver-Y2K-SVT.... fire up your ride!! Ya gots a place to stay!!

Bob

NOTE TO SELF:

Self, install panhard bar

Old 10-23-2001, 11:18 AM
Maybe...

Speedy:

Got the invite a couple weeks ago, still pondering. You plan to attend?

Old 10-23-2001, 11:35 AM
L_Acious

I'd love to go, but will out of town.

Does the IRP road course still use part of the parking lot with cones setup? I roadraced motorcycles there. Turn 1 at the end of the strip was top gear, set the front and flick right down 1 gear for turn 2 I loved racing there. WERA had a big summer race every year.

Do any of you IN guys ever get to Putnam? Another fun track. Huge straight, just had to watch that last turn We lost a few there.

Mike

Old 10-23-2001, 11:39 AM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Exclamation HELL YES!

Silver and L_Acious,

even if it costs me an extended stay in the doghouse....I'll be there.

May just find out how comfy the Bedrug really is...

Old 10-23-2001, 11:44 AM
Well, since my business depends on tourism........ and there is none right now....... it just was not feasible. Add to the price of admission, food, and lodging and fuel, and SEMA was all we could swing this time.

I think the price has alot to do with the track, and what they are charging. LVMS is pretty new, so the price is probably pretty stiff. Maybe a CA event will be more in our price range. (not really any further).

Me and the wife would both like to drive, so it will get pricey.

Old 10-23-2001, 12:28 PM
01ArrestMeRed, what days are you going to be at SEMA. I'll be there Wed. and Thurs. Maybe we could get together?

Old 10-23-2001, 07:26 PM
Talking

Thats what I have been trying to tell every body! Hallett is done for the season but it only cost 75 bucks for more than 2 hrs of track time.Should of told him about my truck and see what he has to say then.
Slotted rotors will help but you need to upgrade your brake fluid first.Stan
If I can swing it I might show up at the Indy event but need more info first.

Quick Reply: Best day ever with my Lightning!!