Lightning

Kill Em' All!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001 | 03:45 PM
The L will smoke a Z28 Camaro to 60. With the 6 speed, it's almost impossible to get those things off the line. I've done it many times. Some guys come back for more and loose again.

Give them anough distance, and the MAY catch you, but in those short bursts, the L is king.

Old 10-28-2001 | 03:53 PM
Alright...

So, the L's may beat the Z from 0-60mph but then again there is a difference of 80+ horsepower. But I still don't understand how an L will beat a Z if magazines/etc. list the Z @ 4.9 and some folks on here are saying the L is @ 5.6 or something seconds?? Just wondering, I'll beleive almost anything that an L owner will tell me because they own L's and I don't. Many have probably raced F-bodies, but I still don't think that they are always victorious!!

Old 10-28-2001 | 04:11 PM
The L is mucho easier to launch than a (insert your favorite snack vehicle name here), thus, the victim in (insert your favorite vehicle snack name here), usually fights for anything that resembles traction, = up in smoke, terrible 0-60 time and thus get their bottomside handed to them by the (insert favorite color) Lightning.

Other times the victim does get traction, and often the results are the same.

This is Lightning hookup secrets 101 lesson for today. Heehee

Old 10-28-2001 | 04:15 PM
If there was no snow here I would have a lightning, had to settle for the best i could get in a 4x4 , reg cab flare 4x4 5.4l , it beats old camaro's though , btw comaro's only started beating mustangs after the 93's came out, i've beaten same year 350's with my 89 gt (stock), mind u lost to a new (the latest style) camaro, damn snow

Old 10-28-2001 | 04:18 PM
Magazine racing blows

Just an FYI, don't believe everything you read. Just because it's in print does NOT mean it's true. Go check out a couple of "tests" of the same vehicles in different magazines. They'll almost always be different. I don't have any idea where or how they got the 0-60 in 4.X, but I can tell you from personal experience that I've pulled HARD on every reasonably modded LS1 through first and the first half of second. The surface doesn't matter, either. I've done it on concrete, asphalt, VHT, no VHT, wherever.

Go to the track and watch some races. Compare the trap speeds (speed as they go across the finsih line...ie: 13.2@104) of Ls and LS1s with similar ETs. Almost every time, the LS1s have a higher trap speed. The Ls have to make up that difference somewhere to have a similar time, don't they? Well, it's sure not gonna be in third gear...you do the math.

DUCK

Old 10-28-2001 | 06:10 PM
I really hate this topic. I have owned a 93 firehawk, 97 trans am, and 99 SS camaro. All three were very fast vehicles. All were lightly modified with the basic cold air/chip/exhaust replacement all car guys can't wait to do. Of the three, the SS was just plain evil. I raced only two L's before trading for an 01 L myself. (I wanted a pick-up and GM just wasn't stepping up to the plate!) Both Lightnings were beat handily, i.e couldn't pull me on the take off and just gave up. They both let me know that they were impressed with my vehicle afterward. They couldn't believe it was so lightly modded. It was an M6 and I had no problems with traction unless I wanted to.

What I'm trying to say is, there are so many variables to consider that nobody can make the flat statements that are being made here and be taken seriously. It's just silly.

Old 10-28-2001 | 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Odin's Wrath
I really hate this topic. I have owned a 93 firehawk, 97 trans am, and 99 SS camaro. All three were very fast vehicles. All were lightly modified with the basic cold air/chip/exhaust replacement all car guys can't wait to do. Of the three, the SS was just plain evil. I raced only two L's before trading for an 01 L myself. (I wanted a pick-up and GM just wasn't stepping up to the plate!) Both Lightnings were beat handily, i.e couldn't pull me on the take off and just gave up. They both let me know that they were impressed with my vehicle afterward. They couldn't believe it was so lightly modded. It was an M6 and I had no problems with traction unless I wanted to.

What I'm trying to say is, there are so many variables to consider that nobody can make the flat statements that are being made here and be taken seriously. It's just silly.
Hmmmm.........Do Tundras videos lie ??? I believe DonC Spanked a ZR1 at the dragstrip ?? I could go on with others experiences at the strip.............but, I'm sure that they'll chime in here.

I can agree with your statement about there being variables..........BUT You should be able to agree about there being variables in your scenario also.

Old 10-28-2001 | 09:57 PM
Re: Alright...

Originally posted by mhussey
But I still don't understand how an L will beat a Z if magazines/etc. list the Z @ 4.9 and some folks on here are saying the L is @ 5.6 or something seconds??
Car and Driver lists the T/A at 5.3 (not 4.9) which would have it closer to the L's.

"A stock Trans Am needs 5.3 seconds to reach 60 mph and runs 13.9 at 104 mph in the quarter."

Old 10-28-2001 | 10:03 PM
Odin's Wrath...nice post

Nice to hear from someone that has owned F-bodies and Lightnings. How did you like the SS??? So, in your opinion, what vehicle is quicker?? More fun to drive?? I love ford trucks, but I still have a strong streak of Camaro passion in me.

Old 10-29-2001 | 08:05 PM
Unhappy What the He11

Originally posted by '01ArrestMeRed

Hmmmm.........Do Tundras videos lie ??? I believe DonC Spanked a ZR1 at the dragstrip ?? I could go on with others experiences at the strip.............but, I'm sure that they'll chime in here.

I can agree with your statement about there being variables..........BUT You should be able to agree about there being variables in your scenario also.
Just my 2 cents man. Someone said "apples and oranges". I really have to agree. Without backing down from anything in my former post, I'd like to point out that I'm currently driving an L. If I blew someone away in my SS, they kind of expected it. If they get killed by the L, they are amazed. If I could afford both, I'd have both. I made my choice. No regrets!

mhussey, 'hope that answers your question, too.

Quick Reply: Kill Em' All!!!